collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Experience with Hornady ELD-X bullets?  (Read 7087 times)

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Experience with Hornady ELD-X bullets?
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
Anyone use these for hunting Mule Deer or Elk?  Got a new 300 WM (1 in 10” twist) to feed and going to start developing a load for the rifle.  Initial research looks like they are a good bullet for reaching out a bit.

I am a 300 yard guy.  This rifle is to start extending that range a bit with lots of practice.

Thanks!

SR1

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Experience with Hornady ELD-X bullets?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:01:49 AM »
One tip - aim high shoulder ! This greatly extends the range of your .300 and bullet selection ( lessons chance of pencil holing at distance).   For long range use what shoots best .  Eld, smk, accubond, berger all will work high shoulder.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
I killed a couple deer last year with them and my gun killed a couple this year. I also saw and helped break down some other mule deer and a bull Moose killed with them this fall. In all I think they are a very good hunting bullet. They don’t have real high weight retention, but aren’t designed to.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:12:08 PM »
I have killed a ton of critters with them since they hit the market. from 50-500 yards. They have proven to be a great bullet.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Shot a doe at 400 yards this year with my 6.5 creedmoore 143 eld-x. Entered through the shoulder blade and lodged in the base of the neck. She was done right there...But the lead had separated from the jacket, weight of bullet after impact was 42g. The entrance was very small with no exit. Had she been able to run off I'm afraid there would not have been much of a blood trail. The buck I shot with the same set up at 130yd I had a great exit hole and lots of blood. I like a bullet that holds together so I'm still up in the air whether I'll continue to use the eld-X. Accuracy is superb I can't argue with that, it killed both critters I've used it on and it also killed my son's bighorn in short order. Im going to try standard Accubond for accuracy because as I mentioned I like a bullet that holds together.  :twocents:
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline Buckhunter28

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
Shot a mature muley buck last year with my 7mm with the 162 ELD-X, shot was only 80 yards and he was looking at me so chest/neck was all I had, bullet entered center chest and destroyed one of his lungs and then exited out his ribs not far behind his shoulder(angle I was and he was allowed for this), he dropped where he stood, rolled downhill about 15 yards, and never moved again, and then shot a blacktail buck this year with my 6.5 Creed at about 40 yards, he was quartering towards me, enough I had a good shot behind his shoulder, got both lungs and his heart on that shot, bullet exited a little ways behind his other shoulder, and he too dropped where he stood. I don't think I will be changing which bullet I'm shooting anytime soon, both guns also group very well at the range  :tup:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
They have a really high BC which is really nice. I prefer weight retention for hunting bullets though and Barnes is #1 on the list for weight retention while having decent BC bullets. Don't get me wrong the Hornady ELD-X bullets will get the job done but I prefer putting a 200 gr bullet into an animal and finding a slug that weighs 195-200 gr still. Just my  :twocents: Good luck with your rifle and loads! May your powder burn hot and dry and your shots be true.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Shot an antelope at 110yds this year with one from my 6.5 creedmoor. I was impressed with the wound channel, no bullet recovery though.

I am up in the air between the accubond lr and this, ive got a box of each to play with this spring, though im guessing either will do exactly what I want it to do.

from my reading up on the performance of them, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer or elk one bit.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Shot my spring bear at 400 yards with my 6.5 creedmoor using 143 grain eldx. bullet entered and did not exit. He was still breathing when i walked up on him. One more shot to finish him off. found the jacket to one bullet but no lead when field dressing. Mule deer this year shot in the neck at 200 yards (only option) and he never took a step.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
I have killed around 10 deer with the 200grn eld X out of a 300 rum. They kill, they don’t hold there weight well but with all the internal damage they cause it doesn’t matter.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
I run the 30 cal 212's out of my 300wsm. I've also done load development with various sizes in a few other calibers as well. Like has been said before, accuracy is amazing, and it is hands down the most pleasant bullet I've ever loaded.  If you think these bullets are gonna act like an accubond, you will be disappointed.   They will come apart but as stated before, they are expanding violently and causing massive internal damage. Wyoming buck I shot a few times but he was dead on his feet after the first shot. Distance was like 350ish.  All bullets exited. Bull elk at 380, steep downhill facing me.  Took him in between the shoulders.  Bullet did not exit but bull folded like a cheap tent.  Colorado mule deer at 800 was messy.  Found the jacket on the off side. 

If you are keeping shots inside 500 or 600, the standard accubond is pretty darn hard to beat. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »

If you are keeping shots inside 500 or 600, the standard accubond is pretty darn hard to beat.

Accubond's are great bullets!👍

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »
had a bull this year take a solid shoulder shot @ 400 and i didnt get passed the shoulder...this was a 178 @2980...had to give him one more about 30 min later

Year prior i had a bull with the 200s and they preformed much better but still inconclusive

Great accuracy and velocities

Im moving on

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »
had a bull this year take a solid shoulder shot @ 400 and i didnt get passed the shoulder...this was a 178 @2980...had to give him one more about 30 min later

Year prior i had a bull with the 200s and they preformed much better but still inconclusive

Im moving on
Not to hijack but you should try the 200 grain barnes TSX. It doesn't have the super high bc but it has amazing weight retention and will punch that shoulder really well.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »

Im moving on
Not to hijack but you should try the 200 grain barnes TSX. It doesn't have the super high bc but it has amazing weight retention and will punch that shoulder really well.

The Barnes and accubonds will run with the eld x up till about 500 yds then it’s hard to get the energy to have them perform. That’s when the eld x starts pulling away and excels. They aren’t for  everybody but they have there place

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]