collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Magpul hunter stock  (Read 7414 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Magpul hunter stock
« on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
Interested in a stock upgrade on a rifle I have. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or input on the Magpul Hunter stocks for a short action Remington 700?

(pic lifted off of the googler)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Magpul hunter stock
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »
Good stock for the money. Depending on what you are using it for it is on the heavier side.   Bullblaster and jonathonS have them on their short actions and they both like them.  Nice having the options for higher cheek comb if needed.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
SOlid and good feeling stock with lots of adjustability. Downside is as coop said it’s heavy (3lb) not a ton more than hs or bc stocks. And you have to buy all the accessories for it (sling mounts, bipod mounts, other cheek pieces if you need, etc but the fore end has m lok so it’s easy to change things around. It has been plenty durable for me also.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
jackelope, not sure how you feel about wood laminate stocks but if it's something you'd consider I'd maybe take a look at the Boyd's AT-ONE stock.  Just put one on a gun for my dad.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
I’ve been thinking about one of their pro Varmint stocks.
Also considering dropping more $$ on a B&C #2015
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1128

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »
I was looking at them too but the one I held felt pretty heavy.  However I don't think the weight is a deal breaker.  Depending on the gun/use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
If you are looking for a stock I would consider Grayboe. I bought one and love it. The owner of the company is the son of the owner of McMillan's. He uses  very simular designs.

https://grayboe.com/stocks/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
I’ve been thinking about one of their pro Varmint stocks.

I have a couple Boyd's Pro Varmint stocks on rimfires and if you like the feel of a McM A5, then you'll like the Pro Varmint because it's essentially a exact copy of it.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
For those who have shot Olympic-Style smallbore and air rifle, this stock makes all the sense in the world.  I have kicked around the idea of buying one myself.  German-made Anschutz, Feinwerkbau and Walther Olympic Style Rifles all have buttplates and cheekpieces that adjust up and down depending on the size of the shooter and the shooting style. 
For shooting prone, move the buttplate to the highest position (slide it straight up), and move the cheekpiece low.  If you shoot a higher position (like kneeling, or off a bipod while sitting), move the buttplate lower and the cheekpiece higher.  If you shoot offhand (which hardly anyone ever does, except in competition), lower the buttplate all the way to the lowest position and raise the cheekpiece high.
The idea is that you will be most accurate when your head is held level and you are looking "straight out of your eye sockets", because when your head is level, the balance device inside your inner ear (like a carpenter's level) is held level and your balance is most accurate.  When your cheekpiece and buttplate are the correct height, and you apply the proper cheek pressure, you should be looking straight at the rear of your scope.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
Don't own one but have shot rifles with them.  ONLY complaint I can see is the weight. For a range gun or if you aren't doing any serious hiking  (or are tougher than me :chuckle:)  they are a solid option at an affordable price
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »
I’m exponentially tougher than you, Karl.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »
Really the big reason I like the adjustable stocks is because I’m 6’4” and most stocks are too short for me. Eye relief with my scopes is always not quite right and I figure maybe I can fix that with adjustability.  The Pro Varmint stocks are .75# lighter than the Magpul and the B&C stocks but the laminate stock is slowing me down. I don’t want to spend the money on a McM on this rifle so that’s out. Basically looking for a budget based improvement over a plastic Tupperware Rem stock.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
If you were closer I’d pull mine off and loan it to ya jackelope. I actually really like the stock but will be selling it sometime this next year when my manners comes in. I believe (but may be wrong) that the hunter 700 stock has the same grip angle as ar15 rifles.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
I have one of the pro varmint stocks on one of my rifles and have no complaints for the price. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
Good info. Thanks to both of you. Unknown to me, a friend just texted and said his dad can get a deal on a magpul so I told him to get me one. If I don’t like it I can always sell it. Still keeping options open but sounds like I’ll be at least trying the magpul.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter