collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho elk  (Read 1990 times)

Offline BB11b

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Idaho elk
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
So a buddy I deployed with told me that Idaho gives disabled vets a pretty big discount of licenses and tags, I did some research and sent in the necessary paperwork and I’m all set to go for next year. I think I’m going to choose unit 10 based off idfg statistics it looks pretty good. Any opinions on if that’s a good unit or where else I should try would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone out there.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho elk
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
Go visit unit 10 before making your decision.  Big difference between how it looks on paper and seeing it in person.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »
Go visit unit 10 before making your decision.  Big difference between how it looks on paper and seeing it in person.

Good point. I should have added it’s about a 10 hour drive so scouting is limited but definitely plan on scouting next summer. So with that any units that come recommended to scout would be appreciated.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
So a buddy I deployed with told me that Idaho gives disabled vets a pretty big discount of licenses and tags, I did some research and sent in the necessary paperwork and I’m all set to go for next year. I think I’m going to choose unit 10 based off idfg statistics it looks pretty good. Any opinions on if that’s a good unit or where else I should try would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone out there.

Thanks for your service & congrats on your disabled vet discounted Idaho licenses/tags. It is now going to be cheaper for you to hunt ID than your home state!

I don't know a lot about unit 10 but I do know the elk were decimated when the wolves were introduced sometime after 1996. Pretty sure F&G has recently reduced wolf numbers so the unit may be on the rebound.

You may want to plan a scouting spring bear hunt to see what you think of the area. I would also apply for the elk permit drawing hunts to see if you can draw a special elk tag and have a better chance of harvesting a Bull. And don't forget to buy a wolf tag.  :tup:

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »

Thanks for your service & congrats on your disabled vet discounted Idaho licenses/tags. It is now going to be cheaper for you to hunt ID than your home state!

I don't know a lot about unit 10 but I do know the elk were decimated when the wolves were introduced sometime after 1996. Pretty sure F&G has recently reduced wolf numbers so the unit may be on the rebound.

You may want to plan a scouting spring bear hunt to see what you think of the area. I would also apply for the elk permit drawing hunts to see if you can draw a special elk tag and have a better chance of harvesting a Bull. And don't forget to buy a wolf tag. 

:tup:

Thank your for your input. It’s really appreciated. Is Idaho spring bear open for everyone? Here in Washington it’s a special draw. From looking at idfg website on their harvest reports the amount of hunters was low but success rate was one of the best so hopefully they’re numbers are climbing again.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »

You may want to plan a scouting spring bear hunt to see what you think of the area. I would also apply for the elk permit drawing hunts to see if you can draw a special elk tag and have a better chance of harvesting a Bull. And don't forget to buy a wolf tag.  :tup:

Yes I believe all units are over the counter bear tags. In fact in some units, including unit 10, you can get a 2nd bear tag. Consult the regs to verify.

You can also use bait in many units. Here's a pic from my last bear hunt. (Dates are accurate.) Be warned do not take naps while hunting with the windows down on the truck.  :chuckle:

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
Spring bear is open to anyone with a tag there, but you wont get very far up there during the season.  It took a while for most of the roads to open this year. There were a lot of washouts and snow that wouldn't leave.  I wouldn't make the trip until late July and call the Forest Service office before you do and verify the roads you want to explore are open. 

And for comparison, Lolo had a good success rate, but only 66 elk were killed.  Go north about a 100 miles and 600+ bulls hit the ground in unit 4 alone. 

Go check it out none the less, its a beautiful area and bring your fly rod.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »

Yes I believe all units are over the counter bear tags. In fact in some units, including unit 10, you can get a 2nd bear tag. Consult the regs to verify.

You can also use bait in many units. Here's a pic from my last bear hunt. (Dates are accurate.) Be warned do not take naps while hunting with the windows down on the truck.  :chuckle:

Those are some amazing photos hahaha. Thanks for the input. Hopefully a bear hunt/scout this swimmer will help

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]