collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: automatic Starters  (Read 4217 times)

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
automatic Starters
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
I had an automatic starter installed in my wife's 2007 Acura TL a few years ago. I have gone through a couple batteries. I think there is still a electrical issue.? Yesterday the battery light went on while she was driving home. I don't know if the battery is toasted again or if the alternator is crapping out? After work I am going to take the battery in to have it checked, probably buy a new one. How do I check to see if the alternator is bad or Good? Once I get the car started again? And does anyone know a good mechanic in the University place and or Tacoma area that will maybe be able to figure it out. I will take it to the dealer if I absolutely have to.

Any ideas... Thanks

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
Re: automatic Starters
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
Take the alt in with the batt and have them check it too.  Going through batts like that makes me suspect your alt's regulator is bad.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
If the battery light came on while she was driving, I will almost give you a 100% solid internet guarantee that the alternator is failing. The remote start probably has nothing to do with your car going through batteries. It basically does nothing except start the car. That's not to say there isn't an electrical issue...just saying it probably doesn't have anything to do with your remote start setup.

You'd need a meter to test the alternator yourself. Or if you're able to remove it yourself, you can take it to a NAPA and have them bench test it. I wouldn't just buy a battery unless yours tests bad. I don't know any shops down that way.
Maybe @huntnphool does.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
Maybe Greg's Japanese....I think they have a south location.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »
THANKS GENTLEMAN

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
If the battery light came on while she was driving, I will almost give you a 100% solid internet guarantee that the alternator is failing. The remote start probably has nothing to do with your car going through batteries. It basically does nothing except start the car. That's not to say there isn't an electrical issue...just saying it probably doesn't have anything to do with your remote start setup.

You'd need a meter to test the alternator yourself. Or if you're able to remove it yourself, you can take it to a NAPA and have them bench test it. I wouldn't just buy a battery unless yours tests bad. I don't know any shops down that way.
Maybe @huntnphool does.

All bets are off if this is an aftermarket hack job, I've seen quite a few where folks will go to car toys or sounds on wheels.. ETC.. and have a remote starter put in by some kid and the wiring is hacked up.

My PSA for today:

DON'T BUY AFTER MARKET REMOTE START FOLKS!!

Have the auto manufacturer put it on, best best is buy it already on or like a lot of Chevy's it's a matter of programming and new fobs. 
Toyota is way behind on this, 2017 Corolla SE can't get a factory remote start  :bash:

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
Ok checked I‎t. The alternator is bad. Do you think if i charge the battery fully would i be able to drive I‎t on battery power only for about 4 miles? I would do I‎t in the day time

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
automatic Starters
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
Maybe. Probably. Don’t use accessories.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Thanks Jackelope.. charged the battery made the drive. All fixed!! Funny everyone drives a lot slower when you need them to get out of your way.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »
Lotta hack jobs install those jobbers. Make sure they didn't FUBAR the stock wiring!

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
Ya i personally think they screwed something up. We have issues with the battery being dead after 3 days sense we installed the remote starter. I took I‎t in had them check it out they said it’s all good. I don’t think so. Might have to bite the bullet and take the wife’s car into Acura. I will probably get screwed

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
Why do you automatically think you'll get screwed? Because you're going to the dealership?
Sounds like you've already gotten screwed by some hacks working on your car. Taking it to a pro will likely not get you screwed. Don't let yourself get screwed and you'll be fine....and you'll know what's wrong with your car. It will probably cost money, but folks don't usually work for free.
 :twocents:

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
I agree with Jackelope on that. They have trained professionals and they have to charge a rate that keeps the doors open. They're always willing to say what the labor rate is upfront, and you can agree to it or choose someplace else. I don't see how that's screwing you. It's always more expensive to track down what someone else  did and fix it than it is to do it right the first time.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
I didn't mean to sound like a jackwagon, but it's always funny to me, sitting where I sit, to hear people take their car to a shop multiple times and not get it fixed, then call the dealership to ask what's wrong with their car, not want to bring the car in so we can look at it because they don't want to pay for it, then give me crap because I can't tell them what's wrong with it over the phone.
Perfect example. I have a car here...lady took it to a muffler shop to have an alternator replaced...(why?). Ever since she picked it up it's had a vibration on acceleration. Took it back to the muffler shop 3 times....they insist it's not their problem...not their fault. We get it. They didn't attach a motor mount bolt. Lady spent hours of her life chasing her tail for a 15 minute fix  that would have never happened if she took her car to a capable repair facility.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
Not all dealerships have a great service department....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]