collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GLUTEN FREE COOKING  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: GLUTEN FREE COOKING
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
Not a celiac, just intolerant thru process of elimination, the pain it causes her is just crazy, I know some people just grin and bear it how I don’t know.

I love Asian food, Mexican gets old real quick.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
Man if Gluten free was the only thing in my house to worry about it would be a piece of cake (pun intended  :chuckle:)

There should be alot of Asian foods you can make that are easily gluten free without much effort.

For intestinal health and good eating i strongly recommend you buy 4 books
The 3 cook books by Danielle Walker, and visit her website https://againstallgrain.com/
The other book is Breaking the Vicious cycle  http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/the-book/
this book is about the SCD diet which will have alot of good info for you and your wife, i dont think you will need to follow the diet as much as learn what and why of certain foods etc, but if she does follow it short term she should see a huge improvement then be able to bring back certain foods.

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »
I am going to follow this, hope to hear more meal suggestions with recipes. My boy is coming home for Christmas with his gal who is gluten intolerant. Last time she was here we wanted to take her shopping so we had what she could eat. It made her uncomfortable and my son said it made her feel different and embarrassed. It would be nice to have stuff already on hand.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
just curious for those looking for gluten free. Have you guys/gals actually been tested and have celiac disease or gluten intolerance? The reason I ask is I hear a lot of people looking for gluten free products thinking that it is simply better for them which is false. Not saying any on this thread are like that but just curious.
My wife's intolerance was diagnosed by observed villi damage via endoscopy.  A biopsy to confirm celiac was not conducted as she has bleeding disorders.
My mother was diagnosed the same way. I just figured it out through observation of what I ate, how I felt, and moving to a more simple less processed way of eating.

There is a blood test they can run to test you but you have to eat gluten in order for the test to work.

I have heard that gluten intolerance has a high probability of being passed genetically. I bet my Brother has it but he is too stubborn.

Gluten intolerance & celiac falls into a category of Auto Immune Diseases. Astma Diabetes, probes, renouds and some others fall into this catagory. The simple explanation is that people are ingesting/absorbing something that is irritating the body. We don't realize it because 1 we eat lots of processed foods so isolation of "Irritants" is difficult. 2 we often take some medicine alleviate the problem, masking the underlying issue.

I have a friend whom love his food and drink. A big guy but not morbidly obese. He decided to change his life, so he quit drinking and went on a meat and raw vegetable diet.  He has lost a bunch of weight, and no more diabetes.

In the GF circles there is some talk about the root causes of this problem. Some speculate it has to do with GMO and Roundup. I'm not sure I buy this, but it may be a factor for those whom are susceptible for genetic reasons...  One thing that is for certain is that the less processed the food we eat the healthier it is, as it more closely resembles  what our ancestors have eaten. Which is why I try not to eat gluten free products in any amount.  It finds its way into my daily diet because while I don't care about cake, cookies, breads and such my wife can't live without. So we always have a package of rice crackers and suchbfrom Costco on the list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
PM sent
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
The only thing i really miss is BEER!

No one makes a good light beer that is GF. It all tastes funny like Sapporo or some other asian beer. Yuck... so on the occasion that a beer sounds really good... or the wife is really buttering me up with a big steak and a cold one these are my go to... Greens beer co often found at Hagen, wine and more ect.  They make the best stuff. Thier double dark is awesome sobis thier IPA. Stuff ain't cheep at $7 a pint at the store.  Ground Breaker out of Portland OR is another fine beer. BithbthebIPA and Darknare excellent.

There are several outfits that do a process to remove gluten from beer. They obviously taste like beer Ommission is the first one that comes to mind. If you are sensitive it's best not to drink it because the caveat is the process removes 98% of the gluten.

Here are some products you may be surprised has wheat or gluten in it.
Cheap icecream,  soy sauce, some corn tortillas,  many corn breads..

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Here is my story about the last time I "TESTED" myself many years ago...

I had been feeling sluggish so I went on the Atkins diet which is GF for over a year and I had been feeling great. I was invited to a country wedding and it was awesome! Music dancing, a feed trough full of iced down Coors and Fried Chicken! How could I resist? So I didn't over do it. I had 2 chicken thighs and 2 Coors... and guess What? I felt fine! We got sent home  with some left over fried chicken, and in the morning I opened the fridge and what did I see calling my name? A juicy chicken thigh. 2 bites into that my stomach started churning. I swelled up like I had been 6 rounds and the Chinese food buffet! I lay on the couch for 3 hours in pain. My stomach was as round and taught as Cool Hand Luke.

I love food, but nothing is worth that feeling. Hunger is nothing in comparison.

Because I had been a good boy my intestines were in good shape. It took the hit of the beer and chicken with no complaints, but it made it is and clear that  a second round was a mistake.

Confucius

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
I've made several of the recipes on this website:  https://paleoglutenfree.com/recipes/

Most are very easy to make and I think they taste very good.  My wife seems to have a problem liking a lot of the recipes because of the coconut oil used in many of them.  She claims to not like the coconut oil...........(I can't even taste it in there).
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »

No one makes a good light beer that is GF. It all tastes funny like Sapporo or some other asian beer. Yuck... so on the occasion that a beer sounds really good... or the wife is really buttering me up with a big steak and a cold one these are my go to... Greens beer co often found at Hagen, wine and more ect.  They make the best stuff. Thier double dark is awesome sobis thier IPA. Stuff ain't cheep at $7 a pint at the store.  Ground Breaker out of Portland OR is another fine beer. BithbthebIPA and Darknare excellent.

There are several outfits that do a process to remove gluten from beer. They obviously taste like beer Ommission is the first one that comes to mind. If you are sensitive it's best not to drink it because the caveat is the process removes 98% of the gluten.

Have you tried Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch?  It's not a "true" light beer but it is a lager, I thought it was decent and not very weird tasting.  I got to drink the Green's, Omission and a few others we got for my wife to try, too "good" for her.  (That was back before my liver turned into a sissy about handling my heart meds, now I don't drink any alcohol.)
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
Special T,

For beer, try some of the Glutenbergs.  They're pretty tasty.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
I have not tried Gluetonbergs. Where are they out of.

Redbridge is horrible. I'd rather drink water

Confucius

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
They are in Montreal.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »

Ghostfish is gluten free as well. I don't care for beer much, but my brother likes it.

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
As far as actual recipes, pick your favorite food and do a search on google.  My wife finds a lot of her recipes on pintrest. It's actually pretty easy to cook gluten free, it just takes a little different recipe. Just about anything can be made gluten free really.  Asian and Mexican are easy.  Gluten free pasta can be found in most stores including Walmart.  Walmart even has their own store brand Gluten free items.  Their Gluten free mac and cheese is good if you get the kind with the cheese sauce.  You know, the fancy kind!  All sorts of cookies and snacks out there too.  Tons of Gluten free sauces available in stores now.  Mexican, BBQ and marinades, even Sportsmans Warehouse carries a gluten free Asian sauce.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »
Wife picked up Ausie Bites at Burlington Costco today that are GF, New GF crackers besindes the rice ones i mentioned...

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull