collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sea Lion Attack  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Sea Lion Attack
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 07:19:54 AM »
No fear of humans. This will happen more and more.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »

They say wolves are no threat to humans either. I have a feeling we will see reports like this soon for them as well

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »

They say wolves are no threat to humans either. I have a feeling we will see reports like this soon for them as well

I hope we do. A few greenies dying on a hike will get people to think about what's happening.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:23:58 AM »
Fishing salmon from a kayak in an inlet off Nootka Sound a sea lion (Stellar's sea lion I think) harassed me for nearly half an hour. 

Youngish bull I'd guess, at least 800 lbs.  He would surface, blow at me, then open his huge dog-like mouth to show me his teeth and tonsils in what the internet says is a thread display.  Felt like a threat to me! 

Then he would roll over slowly onto his back as he sank, teeth showing all the way.  He would dive just barely under the surface in the clear water and make a circle around me ten yards out underwater, and somewhere in the circuit he would turn and swim straight under my kayak, just deep enough not to bump my boat.   

He repeated this over and over.  Finally he was speeding up the sequence of blowing etc. and was coming up within 7 feet, always behind me, quicker than I could turn the kayak.  As he got closer and more aggressive I would yell at him, slap at him or poke at him with the paddle.  Scary.  By then wind had pushed me near the mouth of a river so I paddled up the estuary and he quit following me when we broke onto the shallow shelf. 

I waited 40 minutes and then paddled across the inlet to my vehicle at a logging road and didn't see him again.  At a nearby resort I told them about the sea lion and they said that I was the third report that week.  The others had been swimmers he chased out the instant they jumped off the dock. 

I was really afraid of the big dude.  He was 8-10 feet long, lots of blond color.  Didn't have my camera in the boat.

When he first started, I wondered if the repeated actions and postures were threat of if he wanted to mate with my orangey yellow kayak!

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
Fishing salmon from a kayak in an inlet off Nootka Sound a sea lion (Stellar's sea lion I think) harassed me for nearly half an hour. 

Youngish bull I'd guess, at least 800 lbs.  He would surface, blow at me, then open his huge dog-like mouth to show me his teeth and tonsils in what the internet says is a thread display.  Felt like a threat to me! 

Then he would roll over slowly onto his back as he sank, teeth showing all the way.  He would dive just barely under the surface in the clear water and make a circle around me ten yards out underwater, and somewhere in the circuit he would turn and swim straight under my kayak, just deep enough not to bump my boat.   

He repeated this over and over.  Finally he was speeding up the sequence of blowing etc. and was coming up within 7 feet, always behind me, quicker than I could turn the kayak.  As he got closer and more aggressive I would yell at him, slap at him or poke at him with the paddle.  Scary.  By then wind had pushed me near the mouth of a river so I paddled up the estuary and he quit following me when we broke onto the shallow shelf. 

I waited 40 minutes and then paddled across the inlet to my vehicle at a logging road and didn't see him again.  At a nearby resort I told them about the sea lion and they said that I was the third report that week.  The others had been swimmers he chased out the instant they jumped off the dock. 

I was really afraid of the big dude.  He was 8-10 feet long, lots of blond color.  Didn't have my camera in the boat.

When he first started, I wondered if the repeated actions and postures were threat of if he wanted to mate with my orangey yellow kayak!
This seems like a justifiable reason to take force. My :twocents:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »

This seems like a justifiable reason to take force. My :twocents:

In my original post I edited out a comment that I would have killed him if I'd had a firearm, but as you say, it is an appropriate response so I might as well admit it.  I would have killed him when he got inside of 10 feet and deliberately taken my lumps with whatever fine resulted. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »
The glaringly obvious question hasn't been asked. What the heck were these guys doing swimming in SF Bay in mid-December?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
The glaringly obvious question hasn't been asked. What the heck were these guys doing swimming in SF Bay in mid-December?
Polor bear swim! Ive often done them on new years with snow on the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »
Polor bear swim! Ive often done them on new years with snow on the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think there are a lot of hard core athletic/tri athlete types that regularly swim those waters.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »
you wouldn't find me in those waters! 

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member