collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: high dollar cast iron  (Read 60922 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: high dollar cast iron
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »
Additionally I hit the local goodwill and no cast was found....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You should also look at antique stores and consignment stores.  We have a couple over here that always have a ton of cast iron....just have to find the good deals.   :tup:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:17 PM »
Additionally I hit the local goodwill and no cast was found....

Usually don’t find much there, or it’s cheap Chinese stuff.?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
Thx Luckyman for the Farm Fresh eggs! Some Costco pineaple Bacon Brauts and Luckyman eggs. Shoot straight tomorrow brother! The one on the right was a double yoker!

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline kckrawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I found an old cast iron pan that was my grandparents and worked on it last week. It had several small rust spots. I watched several videos and tried the salt and potato trick and that didn't work, so I tried #000 steel wool and that didn't do it either, I ended up using a dremel and a sanding tip. Took the rust right down. I'm in the process of re-seasoning it now. Excited to see how it turns out.

See, the difference is I'm inherently lazy :chuckle:  I googled and saw the oven method and that was right up my alley.  Let the oven do the hard work and I'll just rinse it off and scrub a little, lol.

If you're interested, the oven method is to put it in the oven upside down.  Put a sheet pan under it to catch whatever falls.  Set your oven to the self cleaning mode for either 3 or 4 hours, however long your mode is.  Mine was 3 hours.  Then let it fire away.  Once the oven door unlocks, remove and let cool to room temperature and then wash with soap and steel wool to get whatever rust is on there off.  Then wash with soap and a sponge.

The self cleaning method absolutely vaporizes everything on the pan.  It literally looked like the scene in T2 when the nuke hit and all of the people in the park turned to dust.  I rinsed most of the crud off and only had to scrub a small bit.

After hitting more thrift stores after work today, I have 5 more to do tonight, maybe tomorrow.  I also got 2 from my dad.  One I don't know if it's salvageable without SERIOUS sanding.  The cooking surface is caked in rust and super pitted.  We'll see.

Thanks for the info on the oven method  :tup: Care to do a write-up on your re-seasoning process for us new kids?
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt

Offline swisski

• Tracker
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »
This is all great info and I appreciate it. I've only started getting into using cast iron regularly the last few months. Just some standard lodge skillets, one in 12" and the other in 8". Use them both often.

I never did any specific seasoning process upon getting them. After I use them, I always scrub them down with the rough side of a sponge, some salt to aid with the scrubbing, and warm water. Then after making sure they are dried thoroughly, I put them back on the stove top on a low setting until they are warm again. I then put a coat of oil (typically vegetable), and rub the whole pan down. Let it cool, wipe off any excess and put it away for next use.

Any other pro tips on how you guys do regular care? Particularly in regards to cleaning them up after use and keeping them seasoned? I don't know if what I'm doing is best or right, but it's what I've gathered to be common from research.

Any pro input is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 08:20:41 AM »
To dry my skillet with lid (lid normally has most of the moisture) I put in the oven.
Bake at 200. When the timer chimes that says it's up to temp, I turn off the oven and let it sit, and I store it in the oven.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »
This is all great info and I appreciate it. I've only started getting into using cast iron regularly the last few months. Just some standard lodge skillets, one in 12" and the other in 8". Use them both often.

I never did any specific seasoning process upon getting them. After I use them, I always scrub them down with the rough side of a sponge, some salt to aid with the scrubbing, and warm water. Then after making sure they are dried thoroughly, I put them back on the stove top on a low setting until they are warm again. I then put a coat of oil (typically vegetable), and rub the whole pan down. Let it cool, wipe off any excess and put it away for next use.

Any other pro tips on how you guys do regular care? Particularly in regards to cleaning them up after use and keeping them seasoned? I don't know if what I'm doing is best or right, but it's what I've gathered to be common from research.

Any pro input is appreciated. Thanks!

After cooking, I wipe what I can with a paper towel.  Mine are seasoned to the point where 9/10 it's mostly just whatever fat I used pooled up.  If that's all there is, I usually wipe it clean and use said fat to leave a thin coating on the pan and put it away.  About once a month I'll wash it out with the soft side of a sponge and light dish soap.  A lot of the fat I use can go rancid if left to sit on a pan.  Once washed with soap, I dry on the stove top and light coat of crisco and store

if there is food stuck on there, I take my chain mail (available on amazon for cheap) and I put just a splash of the hottest water I can out of the tap into the pan and use the chain mail to scrub it clean.  Then I wipe dry and put on the stove top on medium heat for about 10 minutes to make sure all water is evaporated.  Then a thin coat of crisco and put it away

Contrary to what's written on the internet, modern dish soap will not ruin seasoning.  The "Don't use soap" thing was from back in the day when soap was made with lye.  I just don't soap wash every time because I'm lazy :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
Elk steaks and Pineaple Bacon Brauts

Confucius

Offline shipwreck

• Pilgrim
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »
Thanks, I have ordered some of this stuff.  Love cooking on CI.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
I bought a cheapy the other day and plan on grinding down the inside to smooth it out as it seems most of the reasonably priced new ones, including Lodge, are very gritty.

I'll be using pretty much this process. 

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »
You will be plenty happy sanding it Loki. I hated my cast iron until I sanded it down. Now I use it all the time.

Confucius

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
Anyone know what manufacture this pan might be?  I'm guessing it is a 9 on the handle and it has a raised ring on the bottom. It is 11" across at the rim and 9 1/2" across the bottom. It has a very smooth finish so I'm guessing it is of older manufacture. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 06:15:32 PM »

If you have an electric or glass top stove, make sure you look for FLAT cookware. 

I guess this is an advantage of the raised cooking ring.  My, I think, old pan has a bump on the bottom and seems to work decently anyways.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
Anyone know what manufacture this pan might be?  I'm guessing it is a 9 on the handle and it has a raised ring on the bottom. It is 11" across at the rim and 9 1/2" across the bottom. It has a very smooth finish so I'm guessing it is of older manufacture. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Need a pic of the bottom

That is a #9 pan

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter