collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First archery Elk, story plus a picture or two  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Capt.Kyle97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
First archery Elk, story plus a picture or two
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »
I killed this elk back on opening day of archery but am just now getting around to writing up the story. The date was September 8th, a Friday (we took a 4 day weekend including Friday and Monday) me and a buddy make the drive from kingston to rim rock with the ambition to backpack in to our spot about 3 miles only to find the road was closed due to fire danger, so we ended up having to go the alternate route in 7.5 miles. A few thousand feet of elevation later we were there just in time to get some sleep (not that we could due to the constant bellowing bugles) before opening day. Naturally we awoke before daylight to make a quick mountain house and get on the trail, we hunted around all day and saw a total of three elk (two cows and one spike) none of which we could get shots at. so we ended up back at camp for a midday snack and a quick regroup before heading out for the evening hunt. We hunted above camp contrary to where we hunted in the morning, walking along a timbered ride we busted two cows at about 80 yards with no shot, it was now about 6 and we decided to start making our way back to camp and as we were walking down the thick timbered trail we spotted a feeding cow, I quickly nocked an arrow and Al ranged her for me at 53 yards, she moved behind a tree giving me no shot at the vitals, I was at full draw for about 2 minutes before finally getting a shot. I let the arrow fly and we heard it smack on a log... instant sadness, but then she turns around and I can see the blood pouring out from behind her shoulder like a faucet, "I drilled her" I exclaimed to Al as she was running thru the timber, she ran to her right for about 15 yards before making a B-line straight for us at full speed. she stopped at about 5 yards from us and I will never forget that big glob of grass hanging out of her mouth as she stared at us for about 15 seconds. after she realized what we were she ran up the hill about 25 yards and we waited for her legs to wobble, it took about 15 minutes for her to finally expire. Then as they say "the real work began" by the time we got her all quartered out it was almost dark and it was cold enough at night, so we opted to leave the quarters in the tree for the night and come get them in the morning. so come morning we reluctantly got out of bed headed to where we stuck this cow and packed our packs as full as we could, with the long hike ahead it would be easy to skimp on the butchering but we did not leave one scrap on that elk, I'm talking rib meat and everything. I shot her about 2 miles from camp so it was a 9.5 mile hike out, 2 packs, one elk, (this was now Sunday) we finally got out of there then had quick snack at the corner store and had to turn right around and walk back in (at least light this time) 7.5 mi back to camp so we could pack up our camping gear and hike out Monday morning another 7.5. So was all this worth it.... I think so, its just walking, I mean we didn't die, what do you guys think, Thanks for the read.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: First archery Elk, story plus a picture or two
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:56:17 AM »
Nice work :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »
Congrats on your elk.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »
Nothing wrong with that.  I'm just hoping to make it happen for myself someday.  Congrats on a successful season and a well earned stocked freezer!

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Well hunted and well written... and very good shooting!  I enjoyed the read so thanks for taking the time to write and post it.  Good for you for not leaving meat.

The following is no criticism atall, merely an old man's individual way of going about such things, FWIW for anyone interested.  Our family has backpack hunted for decades and have all concluded to pack out something on every walk out from the down animal, especially the first trip.  It may be merely a daypack of boned out meat or a ham or front leg over a shoulder: we take something even if it is a small load late at night.  Every pound carried out reduces later loads and once in awhile that allows the remaining to be retrieved with one less trip.

Also, on long meat packs, I prefer to leap frog loads if more than one pack load is required.  Not a better way, just my preference I'm sure others have thought of.  We carry a heavy load for a relatively short distance and alternate with empty pack short rest hikes.  All of the meat arrives about the same time at the vehicle, with no long full-distance empty hikes in and heavy loads out.  That also keeps meat from being left very long for a bear to find.

You are good at this and have years more such hunts ahead of you.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
Nice! It's been almost 20 years since my first archery elk. Hopefully you won't wait as long for your second!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »
Nice! It's been almost 20 years since my first archery elk. Hopefully you won't wait as long for your second!

My first archery elk was this past season and I will never forget it. Congrats CaptKyle
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
Yes sir, congrats on your first! Way to show respect for the animal & haul out all edible meat!

ElkNut/Paul

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
Pretty Cool!

Aaaaahhhhhhh to be young and to be able to pack an animal and camp out from that distance. Wish I could go back in time  ;)

Congrats, well done, and thanks for sharing your hunt with us  :tup:

...now do it again next year  :tung:

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »
Great story and Congrats! Nice shot!

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)