Do you wear hunter orange?

Yes
109 (55.6%)
Yes, but wouldn't if it weren't required by the regulations
72 (36.7%)
No
15 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Hunter Orange  (Read 17041 times)

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hunter Orange
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
I do a lot of upland hunting and have been shot by my hunting buddy when a bird flew between us, no hunter orange.   I've many times pulled off a bird when orange has appeared in my peripheral vision.

Big game hunting isn't much of a deal in this state, not very many hunters, but when you get to states like WI and MN with 500,000 hunters out on opening day.  In those two states I hunted when just red or red plaid was required(red looks dark for quite awhile in the morning).  When the change to orange was required it was amazing how well you could see other hunters.  for me it is a no brainer.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline MightyWhite

• Hunter
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »
I wear a vest and sometimes a cap .  Animals come by me every year as long as I have a background and break up my outline and don't move around..too many Yahoo!'s around...I've always wore a red wool shirt or cap when it used to not be required...my daughter on the other hand seems to worry more about looks than function...I new a wheat farmer who carried his rifle on his tractor and swore not by John Deere green but caterpillar yelled!!! Ha,!

Offline TommyGun496

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
I wear it during modern seasons with no regrets or concerns. I can't think of a downside.

Downside is people looking at you through their scope

At least they won’t mistake you for a game animal from 400yrds and pull the trigger???

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »
i have no problem wearing orange, but don't like the 400 square inch requirement.  to me, it seems like it's just another thing for a warden having a bad day can use to ruin yours.  i've got a few nice secondhand bird vests that i'm reluctant to wear because they may or may not meet the requirement.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
Do you want a law mandating that everyone wear orange during hunting seasons?  What type of message does that send about hunters?

Sounds like you need to make a decision, Bob.  Are you concerned about hurting people's feelings?  Or are you truly worried about everyone being seen?

Personally I couldn't care less about any message it sends to anyone.  Anti-hunters aren't going to change their mind just like hunters aren't going to change theirs.  Your sensitive feelings aren't going to convince anyone.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 06:46:17 PM »
Do you want a law mandating that everyone wear orange during hunting seasons?  What type of message does that send about hunters?

Sounds like you need to make a decision, Bob.  Are you concerned about hurting people's feelings?  Or are you truly worried about everyone being seen?

Personally I couldn't care less about any message it sends to anyone.  Anti-hunters aren't going to change their mind just like hunters aren't going to change theirs.  Your sensitive feelings aren't going to convince anyone.
I am concerned about the future of hunting.

It's clear you don't care about anti-hunter sentiments. Given they're 97% of our population, I do.

When the Sauk Mountain hiker was shot by a hunter in 2008 it very nearly closed the fall bear season in Washington.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
non hunters are about 97%, I think antis are kind of low (except maybe Seattle).

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
I don't like the government telling us what color clothing to wear. They should at least allow a variety of colors instead of only orange. I believe fluorescent pink is more visible in the woods than orange. Why isn't pink an option? Also, I seriously doubt that wearing orange increases success rates. That seems like a "fact" invented by the proponents of hunter orange. This is the first time I have ever heard of that.
x2  And I think hot pink should be an option.  It would make my hunting partners uncomfortable.  :chuckle:

[/quote.

The desire to make pink an option makes my gaydar alarm go on high alert.  :chuckle: I agree options beside orange make sense in idaho during rifle season I have always wore black and red checkered Woolly  pretty visible to people but still breaks up your image. It’s like digital camo only better made with real animals fur so it sounds completely natural when brushing up against limbs sticks and brush! Also keeps you warm in rain snow or sun! Don’t tell Sitka or any of the big clothing guys I don’t want the price to skyrocket! sorry got a little of track with that but I agree multiple options would make sense. I usually wear orange when hunting states like Montana where it’s required

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
I didn't realize this was a "thing" I wear it when it's required, I don't when it's not, but I might if I'm doing something around a bunch of rifle hunters.

I always thought it served 2 purposes:

1) so not to get shot
2) so game wardens can find you easier  :tung:

and why care  if it's called hunters orange or blaze orange   :dunno:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
Definitely with Bob33 on this. 

I am concerned about the future of hunting.

It's clear you don't care about anti-hunter sentiments. Given they're 97% of our population, I do.

When the Sauk Mountain hiker was shot by a hunter in 2008 it very nearly closed the fall bear season in Washington.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »

No it didn't.  Not even close.  The anti's got some extra media attention, but that was about it.  They got their 15 minutes of fame and then the media moved on to the next scandal.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]