Do you wear hunter orange?

Yes
109 (55.6%)
Yes, but wouldn't if it weren't required by the regulations
72 (36.7%)
No
15 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Hunter Orange  (Read 17029 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Hunter Orange
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
I voted yes but I believe their is more than one answer for me.

I always wear the required amount per state requirements for where I am hunting.  Wyoming I rock the hat.  Washington 400sq inches, CO vest and a hat.  Idaho doesn't require Orange so I don't wear it.  The country I hunt there is remote and isolated so I've never felt I needed it.  I ALWAYS carry an orange vest in my kill kit however for wrapping around antlers during packouts or if I ever felt I needed to wear it.

With that, if today WDFW said no more orange, I would still wear Orange here because it's the only place in North America where I've ever felt it is a vital necessity.  Our modern seasons here are the worst displays of ethics, morals, and safety you will find as a whole. Not sure why that is but out of all the places I've been and hunted it holds true.  Possibly it is due to the high concentrations of hunters battling for a very limited number of legal animals :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
So, did negligent shootings decrease because of blaze orange or because of hunter's ed?  They sort of came around at the same time. 

Interesting thought.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
I voted yes but I believe their is more than one answer for me.

I always wear the required amount per state requirements for where I am hunting.  Wyoming I rock the hat.  Washington 400sq inches, CO vest and a hat.  Idaho doesn't require Orange so I don't wear it.  The country I hunt there is remote and isolated so I've never felt I needed it.  I ALWAYS carry an orange vest in my kill kit however for wrapping around antlers during packouts or if I ever felt I needed to wear it.

With that, if today WDFW said no more orange, I would still wear Orange here because it's the only place in North America where I've ever felt it is a vital necessity.  Our modern seasons here are the worst displays of ethics, morals, and safety you will find as a whole. Not sure why that is but out of all the places I've been and hunted it holds true.  Possibly it is due to the high concentrations of hunters battling for a very limited number of legal animals :dunno:

100% spot on with how i am and feel
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
If you are on the No wear side, you have never had anyone close to you get shot while hunting.

I have and it is life changing forever.

My best friend was shot but not killed. My brother was the shooter. I saw both sides, and if you think good hunters do not make bad mistakes than you are real mis informed.

I do not wear it muzzy elk.
I do for modern deer and I do for bear hunting any time the bear season is open. All my family is required to wear it or they do not hunt with me. All my friends are required to wear it if the law calls for it or they do not hunt out of our camp.

The difference is rifle scopes, If scopes were allowed on muzzy's than hunter orange should be required also.  :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
If it were really a safety issue, wouldn't EVERY user group be required to wear it?  :dunno:

No. It's required for modern and not the others because of the extreme distances modern firearms can take an animal and how hard it is to identify your target at those distances. Hunting incidents with ML or archery are extremely rare, although they do happen.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
I do it but don't like it.  Wopuld be interesting to compare # of hunters, # of accidents to states that do not have the requirement.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
If it were really a safety issue, wouldn't EVERY user group be required to wear it?  :dunno:

No. It's required for modern and not the others because of the extreme distances modern firearms can take an animal and how hard it is to identify your target at those distances. Hunting incidents with ML or archery are extremely rare, although they do happen.

Pman, theres something wrong with that reasoning I believe, if you can't identify a guy walking on a hillside 400yds away, how can you identify a legal animal?
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

Pman, theres something wrong with that reasoning I believe, if you can't identify a guy walking on a hillside 400yds away, how can you identify a legal animal?

I identify before I shoot. You likely do. But are you questioning the fact that sometimes idiots hunt? I wear orange because of idiots and that I'd like to continue living for a while. Nothing at all wrong with my reasoning.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

Not that either is good, but I think most wouldn't equate accidentally shooting a human with shooting an illegal animal.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
I do it but don't like it.  Wopuld be interesting to compare # of hunters, # of accidents to states that do not have the requirement.

According to the statistics I've seen, the use of hunter orange has drastically cut the number of hunting incidents since the 70s. If I remember correctly, something like 80-90%. My memory's not great.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
I'm with Bobcats reply on this one.

So here is a scenario for you.  You are walking along a wastway in Eastern WA.  You are jump shooting ducks in your camo, using steel shot everything legal. However you have a East side Pheasant permit (or what ever they call them these days)  And a Rooster jumps up in front of you, do you shoot it or do you let it fly away?  If you shoot it did you just break the law because you didn't have any orange on?

One other thought if I am hunting on hundreds of acres of private land the only one with permission to hunt there who are they to tell me what to wear.

I personally feel that the law was passed because many game agents are to lazy to walk out in the field and meet with the hunters.  They can now just sit in their vehicles and use their Bino's and meet you back at your vehicles and assume you did something wrong and its up to you the hunter to prove you were hunting by the rules. 

Care to ask me how I really feel about it? 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
Um no. It was to reduce hunting incidents and it has.

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »

I was referring to ANYONE in the woods. Hikers, brush pickers, walking your dog, checking cows... It's not like hunters are the only group in the woods at any given time.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »

Right, you have to verify a deer is a buck or 3 pt, an elk is spike or true spike or 3 pt forking above the ear, bear doesn't have a cub, cougar doesn't have spots or cubs, etc. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
Some could argue that being conditioned that all hunters are wearing hunter orange may cause more accidents.  Case in point the gal in the blue coat.   If she was wearing hunter orange, she may not have been shot.  She wasnt hunting though.  The kid probably should have known his target. 

Devils advocate, I can do my own study.  Ive been shot at more while wearing orange than I have without.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]