Do you wear hunter orange?

Yes
109 (55.6%)
Yes, but wouldn't if it weren't required by the regulations
72 (36.7%)
No
15 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Hunter Orange  (Read 17036 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Hunter Orange
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »
Whats next you have to wear a hard hat in the woods in case a tree limb falls. I dont want other people to see me or see where I have been. And I dont see how anyone can call it an accident when one hunter shoots another, prosecute to the max when a shooting accrues. When your hunting 3 pt or spike only areas how the hell can someone mistake you for an elk or deer. I think its more when hunters get scared or drink to much the night before. Guns and Alcohol are not friends.
It's inexplicable, but it happens and I prefer to minimize the chances of it happening to me.

http://www.wta.org/news/signpost/hiker-killed-by-hunter-on-sauk-mountain

According to media reports, including this AP story in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the hiker was Pamela Almli, a resident of Oso, a small town near Arlington. Almli, who was on a day hike up the popular trail in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, had bent down to put something into her pack when she was mistaken for a bear by the young shooter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/03/nyregion/hunter-charged-shooting.html

A hunter accused of fatally shooting his neighbor after mistaking her for a deer was arraigned on a charge of second-degree manslaughter on Thursday in a western New York court.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00993/wdfw00993.pdf

The shooter thought the noise was either a large buck rubbing its antlers or a bear stripping and eating bark from a tree. As he crawled to within 40 yards of the noise, he could also see trees moving. The shooter convinced himself that the dark form he saw was a bear, and he fired. Upon hearing screams, the shooter raced back to his car. After reading in the local newspaper that an unknown shooter had shot a brush picker, the victim contacted investigating officers the next day and explained the shooting incident from his perspective.

http://www.wrfalp.com/sherman-woman-fatally-shot-after-being-mistaken-for-deer-by-hunter/

According to Jadlowski, he believed he saw a deer in a field when he fired a single shot pistol. Jadlowski reported hearing a scream and he immediately responded to the area approximately 200 yards away where he discovered Billquist. Jadlowski called 911 and applied pressure to Billquist’s wound until EMS arrived.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
It looks like the statics have proven it reduces accidental shootings. I would say that since sportsmen make up a small percentage of folks explaining to others out in the woods the benefits of bright colors would go along way.

How many of you have run across mushroom/brush pickers that are wearing Brown, black, green rain gear during modern seasons? I have and asked them what were they thinking?

The lady on Sauk Mt near me in Black during bear season. The brush picker down south.... I got it but perhaps some awareness campaigns by sportsmen. To remind folks whom are not required by law...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
but if it's so good, why aren't ALL people in the woods required to wear it?  :dunno: a friend and I both had our rifles on what turned out to be a man in a black coat pushing brush for his son we didn't know was there.  :yike: but because we both wanted to fully identify our target, we didn't just "shoot the black"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »
but if it's so good, why aren't ALL people in the woods required to wear it?  :dunno: a friend and I both had our rifles on what turned out to be a man in a black coat pushing brush for his son we didn't know was there.  :yike: but because we both wanted to fully identify our target, we didn't just "shoot the black"
Do you want a law mandating that everyone wear orange during hunting seasons?  What type of message does that send about hunters?

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

:yeah: require it of all people using state and federal land open to hunting.  Incidents will go to zero.  See how fast the pinecone eaters spout up about that.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
Do you want a law mandating that everyone wear orange during hunting seasons?  What type of message does that send about hunters?

That we are safety consious.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
In my opinion the blaze orange requirement for upland birds needs to go.  I always wear it when bird hunting, but I'm not always wearing 400 square inches of it...

I won't wear it during bear season (unless season overlap requires me to), but if I hunted deer or elk I would wear it whether it was required or not.

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2017, 09:05:59 PM »
Blaze orange bird hunting law, that always makes my head shake.

Like getting a seatbelt ticket from a motorcycle cop.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »

but you're ok with being the ONLY group required to wear it? I think it should be your choice what wardrobe you want to hunt in. what's a hunter orange ticket run these days?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
 It would be interesting to know how many people are accidentally shot because someone was using their scope to identify movement rather than bino's.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
It would be interesting to know how many people are accidentally shot because someone was using their scope to identify movement rather than bino's.

I have had this happen at least once.

Man, I was pissed!!!!!   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Had my bino's on a guy pointing his rifle right at me.     
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2017, 07:02:19 AM »
It would appear that the same logical justification can be used for civilians as hunters. If only one life is saved doesn't that make hunters look better? I don't see how a brush picker or hiker dressed in blacknor Brown getting clipped helps hunters image any...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
It would save more lives to close hunting seasons altogether during times when hikers are active. And since hunters can't tell the difference between a bear and. hiker unless everyone is required to wear orange, and since 97% of our population doesn't  hunt, that would be their preferred approach.

Offline jjaba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
I will wear Orange during Modern Seasons along with vest attached to my pack.   Pheasant hunting YES... hunting wet side on release sights seen stupid even in orange but hey it helps the ones paying attention.  During non required times I still wear a hat that's orange.  The only time I don't worry about it is when hunting coyotes at night.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline GurrCentral

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
I wear hunter orange even on hunts that it is not required. When it is not required I usually wear an orange hat and have a panel for my pack at all times. And yes, I wear it over my vias...lol

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]