14 (19.4%)
New Wildcat
7 (9.7%)
Bolt Guns
39 (54.2%)
Missing JJB11B's Polls
5 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Whats everyone tinkering with these days?  (Read 14762 times)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Whats everyone tinkering with these days?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
I just started cleaning up my reloading bench after 10 or so years of neglect. Going to start loading again, I have missed it. I also am trying out something new for next season.  I had never used a bipod but I just put one on my .243.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
I've been having a mental debate about some firearm project or reloading more, but have decided to spend more time with the longbow this year. No category for that in the poll.

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
Juat ordered a bunch of parts for my new rifle build.  Goal for this gun is an accurate,  easy to handle trainer that my kids can also handle and shoot.  After much internal struggle I settled on the .243 mainly because I already have good brass, dies, and lots of lead for it already.  Mike at Hells Canyon Armory is slapping it together for me.  Tikka action, one of his amazing carbon barrels, McMillan Gamescout stock.  Somewhat undecided on finished barrel length.  Would be a great rifle for a suppressor especially since the kiddos are gonna be cutting their teeth on it.

Karl - what twist did you go with? It's been bothering me that I don't have a 6mm in the safe right now and I'm debating on a 243 vs 6x47 vs 6CM in a fast twist for my next project.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
Kicking around the idea of picking up a Proof Research AR10 carbon fiber 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and if I do.

20", 22" or 24"?? :beatdeadhorse:

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
Grabbed two of the Savage 12FV's during the Cabela's sale.  Been researching optics and stock/bottom metal options. 

Current funds have been going towards gathering reloading equipment here and there so I can play with load develpoment for them.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
Changing my Remington 700 in 338 Win. Mag. from ADL style to BDL. I've got a laminated wood stock with aluminum bedding block, BDL style trigger guard/floor plate, and other necessary parts to do the conversion. Just gotta find time now to get it done. Probably won't be until after duck season is over.

Offline rudysts

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
Got all my parts sent off to https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/ a few weeks back for the Defiance ultralight action I bought from Alex gonna build a some what light weight 6.5 creed hoping it would weigh under ten pounds scoped. lugging around 15 pound rifles is starting to weigh me down. I took a pretty bad fall coming up a ridge in some snow during the late season low crawling up on an injured foot then having to use the rifle as a crutch the rest of the way back to the truck was not fun. Should be  8 - 10 weeks for it to be done.

Defiance Deviant Ultralight
26" Rock Creek barrel
Manners EH3
TriggerTech trigger

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »
Juat ordered a bunch of parts for my new rifle build.  Goal for this gun is an accurate,  easy to handle trainer that my kids can also handle and shoot.  After much internal struggle I settled on the .243 mainly because I already have good brass, dies, and lots of lead for it already.  Mike at Hells Canyon Armory is slapping it together for me.  Tikka action, one of his amazing carbon barrels, McMillan Gamescout stock.  Somewhat undecided on finished barrel length.  Would be a great rifle for a suppressor especially since the kiddos are gonna be cutting their teeth on it.

Karl - what twist did you go with? It's been bothering me that I don't have a 6mm in the safe right now and I'm debating on a 243 vs 6x47 vs 6CM in a fast twist for my next project.
  7.75" 

If it wasn't for the massive amounts of quality components I have for the .243 I would have probably gone 6 CM
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline rudysts

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
Been doing some load development with my 284 Shehane that's been giving me some problems I had to send it to Jim Borden @ https://bordenrifles.com/ turns out he had to make me a new cocking piece to time my Timney 2 stage trigger to the action. then I switched brass from Norma 284 win to Lapua 6.5-284 necked up then turned the necks to give me 4.5 thousands clearance. fire formed 50 pieces then went out to do a ladder test @ 500 yards.

Loaded up the middle of # 4,5 and 6  with 52.2 grains of RL26 and a 180 Berger 10 thou off the lands and shot it out to 600 yards at Tacoma sportsman's club Christmas shoot it did good. now I need to do a seating depth test . I think this group would be much tighter if it was shot on a more stable bench they have to much movement to them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:18:42 PM by rudysts »

Offline Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
After swearing off ARs after getting out of the military... Carpsniper caught me hook line and sinker with a beautiful 6.5grendal. Now I'm just trying to find a way to apologise to the wife  :chuckle:
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
Still waitin' on my Fullfield II. Waiting sucks...

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
I filled my 2017 Ram tag in September, Taking it in to get all prettied up on Tuesday, pretty excited $500
Heres a pic before the Ram died
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:14:02 PM by JJB11B »
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »
Kicking around the idea of picking up a Proof Research AR10 carbon fiber 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and if I do.

20", 22" or 24"?? :beatdeadhorse:

I'd steer clear of Proof barrels for a while. I've recently watched a couple of their barrels burn out so fast that nobody could explain it. The smiths who cut the barrels all said that they felt soft while chambering them. To be fair though, they shot great for 800 rounds before they just went off the rails.

For new projects, I still trying to figure out something to work on. I'm bored with everything I have but I can't come up with anything good to work on. It happens every couple of years; I get bored and have to come up with a new focus for the next round of guns.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »
i've been kind of itching for a .25-06, 6.5x55 or .280 of some kind.  getting burned out playing with my .264 mag, with a 24" barrel and 1-9 twist, i can't seem to really push it farther than 2900 fps with a 140gr bullet without going way outside of published loads.  burning 65gr of powder for 150fps faster than some people are getting with a 6.5 creedmoor is sort of depressing.

i've considered rebarreling it(either with a 26-28" .264 barrel, or 7mm, or 300 mag), reboring it to some big thumper like a .358 norma that i'll probably never need, or sell it to make room in the safe for something else.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
BGT - what powders have you worked with in your 264WM? I'll admit I almost gave up on mine but finally landed on some magic.

I wanted to shoot the 143 ELD-X but couldn't find wwhat I was looking for with retumbo, H1000, or H50BMG. Could get to 3200 but not without blowing primer pockets. Accuracy and ES suffered as well.

After talking with Scott at Quarter Minute Magnums over in Idaho I switched to the Berger 140 VLD and H4831SC. Magic combo in the 264WM. I'm running a 3100 fps (26" tube) with bughole groups at 200 yards. ES is not qui perfect but under 20. That combo might be worth a try if your looking for options.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter