14 (19.4%)
New Wildcat
7 (9.7%)
Bolt Guns
39 (54.2%)
Missing JJB11B's Polls
5 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Whats everyone tinkering with these days?  (Read 14692 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Whats everyone tinkering with these days?
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
I've been eye balling those bergara's
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2018, 08:33:16 PM »
New rifle last year, Rem 700 Long Range in 7mm Mag. Finally got a load worked up that the rifle likes.  Now I need to upgrade my scope.  A buddy has me talked into the Sig Whiskey 5.  Saving some $$ since early fall.  Almost there... :tup:
Killed my buck with it this year, but definitely not long range... 'bout 50 yards running shot offhand  :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline brokemillwright

• Tracker
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 11:18:01 PM »
I've been eye balling those bergara's
I actully love mine. knew nothing about them. walked into a store with a buddy and while he was doing paperwork a salesman sold me on it. it makes me look like a good shot and I'm liking the 6.5 creedmoor round

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:10 AM »
Finished my savage. It was a 111-g in 22-250. Now it’s a 223, checkered and stippled stock cut to my LOP, cut a 223 bull barrel to 21 inches and installed a PTG bolt head. CDI bottom metal and MDT 10rnd 223 Mags. Pillar bedded and glass bedded. Heavy gun but clover leafs with black hills 60 vmax.

CZ 527 is getting a new B&C so I’ll be skim bedding it tomorrow. Really want to bring it to my machinist friend and have it recrowned but he keeps saying the crown looks “alright” but it doesn’t look perfect, take my money already. Taking the trigger down to 2.5# too.

Then my real love again, not just switching parts, OLD heritage rough rider in 22lr that has seen some hard use. Gonna strip it, plum brown the metal, possibly do a bit of engraving, make up some grips with walnut burl and checker them. Gonna stone the trigger a bit and try to make it nicer, also gonna fix a nick in the crown. Might order a 22 mag cylinder too.

And my benchmade steep country is in need of a sheath so I’m gonna try my hand at leather crafting.

Up till now I’ve been coyote hunting all my free time, worst season ever. Hopefully a couple bobcats will bring in some money
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »
Just had my long range gun built. 300 win mag. Now messing around with a Tikka T3x in 6.5 creedmoor. Need to get a base, ring and scope for it. Think I’m going to ditch the factory stock for one of stocky stocks carbon fibers for it. Stock only weighs 20 onces. Hoping to get the rifle at 7.5 pounds with scope.
Once I get my 6.8 ar sold I think I am going to put together a 35 whelen. I have always wanted one. Going with a Remington action, Shilens barrel I think, grayboe outlander stock, timney trigger. Should be a fun gun once it’s done.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
Just had my long range gun built. 300 win mag. Now messing around with a Tikka T3x in 6.5 creedmoor. Need to get a base, ring and scope for it. Think I’m going to ditch the factory stock for one of stocky stocks carbon fibers for it. Stock only weighs 20 onces. Hoping to get the rifle at 7.5 pounds with scope.
Once I get my 6.8 ar sold I think I am going to put together a 35 whelen. I have always wanted one. Going with a Remington action, Shilens barrel I think, grayboe outlander stock, timney trigger. Should be a fun gun once it’s done.

7.5 lbs sounds good... :tup:

I'm afraid to weigh my Remington LR :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »

It’ll be around 11.5-12 pounds!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »

mines 16lbs with out mag or ammo.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
Just got a scope for my Howa .300 wm, having trouble getting it leveled. I've got a bunch of factory ammo to break in the barrel and use for donor brass. Then I need to figure out a bullet to load with, i wanted Hornady interbond but it's impossible to find since they suspended manufacturing.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »

Yeah my 300 win mag with optics is right around 11-12 pounds.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2018, 12:46:37 PM »

Yeah my 300 win mag with optics is right around 11-12 pounds.
Yeah, and I'm about to upgrade to a heavier scope too.  Maybe I should put some lead weights in the stock too... :bash: :bash:

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »
224 Valkyrie
"I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss"

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2018, 10:06:21 PM »
224 Valkyrie

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Great chambering! Great Aero set. I shot the 22x6.8 several years back with a BlackHole weaponry barrel. Wicked chambering. Accurate and easy to load for. It's great to see it's now SAAMI spec'd.

Some great powders to use are. H4895, RL-15 and for some real speed CFE223.

CFE223 is money in the Grendel/6.8 SPC case. You can argue temp sensative. But I load for the environment and the hunt.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:28:35 AM by Biggerhammer »

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »
Great info thanks. Your 375 raptor build inspired me lol. I stole a couple of your ideas on components. Mostly because they are products I haven't used before.
"I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss"

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2018, 11:36:30 PM »
Great info thanks. Your 375 raptor build inspired me lol. I stole a couple of your ideas on components. Mostly because they are products I haven't used before.

Aero Precision is making some super clean, quality stuff. They have their machining dialed in.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]