collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: OTC archery elk in Idaho advice  (Read 4518 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
OTC archery elk in Idaho advice
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:26:23 AM »
Starting a new camp and hunt in Idaho for next season, Great group of guys that normally hunt only in Wa.  The 'Brians", if any knows them.  It's my job to find a unit to archery in where they can take trailers, wall tent for me, and find elk.  These guys are expert callers and are successful most years here in the 346, they just want to start hunting bulls every year now instead of waiting for permits.  I've always hunted 10a for rifle and done very well but I was hoping for a more open area, we would love to only kill monster bulls like most, but sticking a rag bull every year would be great.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you have special areas you don't want talked about, feel free to PM.  A bit of info, these guys would rather not hunt in an area that is super steep, I've hunted in 18 before and I would consider that too steep for their liking.   I'm always willing to help with west side elk info when I can, hoping I can get some info back at me.  Thanks guys.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: OTC archery elk in Idaho advice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »
I was just about to offer up some info but then you brought up the Brian's!  Shady bunch there!  Not sure if Idaho is ready :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:39:27 AM »
I was just about to offer up some info but then you brought up the Brian's!  Shady bunch there!  Not sure if Idaho is ready :chuckle:
:chuckle: :chuckle: You bring up a good point!!!  Very shady!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
Dang Karl, you scared everyone off!!   :chuckle:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »
Hey the truth about the Brian's can't be kept secret :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:07:35 AM »
I've only hunted Idaho a couple times so I'm not much help, but man I don't know if there are any areas that have elk that aren't "too steep." If there is I'd like to hear about it as well so I can hunt there too.

You might also check into other states like Montana, Wyoming, and even Oregon. You're much more likely to find easier terrain to hunt in those states.

That's just been my experience, which like I said, isn't a lot, but what I've seen of Idaho has been nothing but straight up and down. Where we hunted elk this last October, the lowest elevation that we were able to find elk was at 8500 feet.   :o

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
I didn’t mean to sound like they are flat landers, we’ve hunted and packed elk out of areas that are very steep. As long as there are some roads to call elk from, bobcat, if your looking for easier country in Idaho , try 10a.  It has lots of logged areas, reminds me of the greenwater area.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
I think some of the better areas are areas like 10a with more timber.  You already have a leg up since you know the area.  But I completely understand wanting a more open area, hunting the thick timber gets very frustrating.  The further south you go, the more open it gets.  Check out the Born and Raised videos from their Idaho elk hunt this year, its down south and it will give you an idea what hunting that type of country during archery season will be like.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
I think some of the better areas are areas like 10a with more timber.  You already have a leg up since you know the area.  But I completely understand wanting a more open area, hunting the thick timber gets very frustrating.  The further south you go, the more open it gets.  Check out the Born and Raised videos from their Idaho elk hunt this year, its down south and it will give you an idea what hunting that type of country during archery season will be like.
True, I’m having a hard time leaving my current area, problem is the past few years some archery guys have found our spot. Nobody hunted it for many years till I posted a pic of my bull, didn’t realize you could get gps off pics back then.  :bash: I just don’t know when they go, hate to show up and their camped in our spot. But, it’s an option at least for one year if something else doesn’t work. 

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
True, I’m having a hard time leaving my current area, problem is the past few years some archery guys have found our spot. Nobody hunted it for many years till I posted a pic of my bull, didn’t realize you could get gps off pics back then.  :bash: I just don’t know when they go, hate to show up and their camped in our spot. But, it’s an option at least for one year if something else doesn’t work.

I would love to show up and have the guy who took my GPS coordinates off a pic and poached my spot sitting there.  They would have such a miserable time, they would not hunt there again!

You could always go north, but there are lots of people there as well.  I saw a lot more people this year in the Panhandle than I ever have.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »

I was burnt on the gps picture thing too-I hate that. Anyways I would check out the accessible units that are in the salmon and Lemhi elk zones. Before everybody attacks me yes I know they are steep! and some not very accessible but there are spots there that are not bad and vehicle accessible and they are a lot more open than North Idaho. I have hunted some and they would be worth checking out. Huge area but it gives you at least a starting point on a potential new area 

Offline Hot Lunch

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
It would be easier to get into elk shape than to find an area in Idaho that isn't steep and doesn't have a ton of people and quads. My experience with Idaho is plenty of people, until you go straight up.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Any area in the panhandle is going to hold elk and give you extra opportunities if you are not successful during the September hunt. Pretty difficult country in most spots though. I agree with others in here that you should just stick to 10a. There are a ton of elk in that country. I have been successful for a number of years in Unit 1 and 2. The country is absolutely awesome and it’s just a great place to chase elk in the rut. Very challenging country though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »
I was thinking of checking out the St Joseph Unit 6/7 next fall.  I have heard the herd is recovering there after wolfs and hard winters took it down.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »
Leaning towards the beaverhead zone, not sure where to start or how the camping situation is?  To the guys who already hunt there, sorry for drawing attention to it.  10a will definetly be a good back up plan if we don’t figure this out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw