collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar down  (Read 11125 times)

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Cougar down
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
 :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
That's fantastic!  What a rush!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline nitroelk

• Scout
  • Groups: R.M.E.F.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
awesome

Offline yote

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »
Very cool!
WSU 2009-2013 (Criminal Justice)
USMC 2013-2017 (3/1 Weapons Company)
ILWU 2018-Present

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 06:55:11 AM »
Thanks all. So after a plate of cougar backstrap if some didn't tell me i would swear it was a pork chop.

cat chops are definitely just like pork  :EAT:

(always cook cougar or bear well to avoid trichinosis)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

- All meat (including pork) can be safely prepared by cooking to an internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C) or higher for 15 seconds or more.
 - Wild game: Wild game meat must be cooked thoroughly (see meat preparation above) Freezing wild game does not kill all trichinosis larval worms. This is because the worm species that typically infests wild game can resist freezing.

Unsafe and unreliable methods of cooking meat include the use of microwave ovens, curing, drying, and smoking, as these methods are difficult to standardize and control.[13]
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »
Congrats on a beautiful animal and some of the best eating out there!!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 10:52:26 PM »
Nice! Would have maybe followed that trail with a handgun! Yeesh!
There is a reason I pack a .44 mag around while hunting lol! 240 gr hollow points will do a job on just about anything!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 04:57:19 AM »
Congrats looks like a younger cougar
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »

That cat has some age, look at how the teeth are yellowing, there is tooth drop, and the incisors are worn off.
If it was a young cat the teeth would be white, no tooth drop, and the incisors wouldn't be worn off.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »

That cat has some age, look at how the teeth are yellowing, there is tooth drop, and the incisors are worn off.
If it was a young cat the teeth would be white, no tooth drop, and the incisors wouldn't be worn off.
:yeah:
The OP said it was female and they are generally smaller than the males.  A young male will outweigh an old female.  Also, photos can be deceptive.  It really depends on how you position the cat and what angle you take the photo from.  That alone can make a small cat look big and a big cat look small.

Take a look at the photos of the cats from my cougar hunt.  The first cat is a younger male and the second cat is a really old female that had just eaten a deer so she had a full belly.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,221804.50.html
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »

Skyvalhunter I wasn't trying to be argumentative, I just wanted to be informative.  :tup:

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »

Skyvalhunter I wasn't trying to be argumentative, I just wanted to be informative.  :tup:

I would have bet it was young but I don’t know anything about cougars, good info!  :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »

I would have bet it was young but I don’t know anything about cougars, good info!  :tup:
Dale is an absolute wealth of knowledge when it comes to cougars.  Spending time with him hunting and in camp each day was awesome.  He answered every question I had.  I am sure it got old for him but he just kept answering.  Many times his questions prompted more questions.

He and his staff could tell the sex of the cat from the pad prints in the snow, the size of the cat from the depression in the snow, by the distance between steps and if they drug their feet.

I am not a cat expert but man I have a ton more understanding of cats and how to read their footprints than I did before.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
Thanks all. So after a plate of cougar backstrap if some didn't tell me i would swear it was a pork chop.

That's what I've always told people when they ask.  I was lucky enough to have a carcass given to me many years ago, would love another.  Congratulations!

Offline SideHillBill

• Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 09:44:34 AM »
I have learned quit a bit from this experience. I just got the skull back from Eric Shelby who is doing the rug or mount. Not sure what to do actually. The field officer said he believed it to be a sub adult but it had no spotting on inter legs to support that notion. Anyway I will get a picture of the scull up here for you biology majors. Thanks again
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:59:31 PM by SideHillBill »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr