collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tripods... again.  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Tripods... again.
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
I have a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 spotter and am in the market for a new tripod. I run a Vortex Summit SSP for my binoculars but it isn't going to work for the spotter as its just not sturdy enough. It is great in terms of weight and packability for those who might consider it for binoculars or smaller spotters. On to the real question...

I am looking at the Slik 634 or Slik 624 or the Outdoorsman. Whichever I opt to go with will get an Outdoorsman pan head. I have done a ton of research and the only thing I am unclear on is how the Slik tripods do in the wind. Can anyone definitively tell me how these compare in the wind?

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Tripods... again.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Cant help you with the 624 or outdoorsman but my partner picked up a 634 and put a benro s2 head on it this year since he had the same summit ssp tripod and even with the 65mm razor it wasn't very stable and the head would always want to walk unless you used hulk strength to tighten it.  The one really windy day we were out it did way better than the summit but we both felt like my promaster xc525c did better than the slick 634, they both are topped with the benro s2 head.  The promaster is a little heavier and doesn't extend as tall as the 634 but comparing the 2 the carbon legs are thicker so I think that is what helps in the wind and adding a full Nalgene bottle to the hook on the bottom or some kind of weight really helps on the windy days.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
Bog Pod ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
I just got the Manfrotto 290 xtra carbon and a Manfrotto head to go with it and am super pleased with it so far.  Its a bit heavier then my old vanguard but much more sturdy.

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
Okay, so after much agony and research I have settled on the Promaster XC525C. I want to use the Outdoorsman pan head with it. Am I correct in that I will need the head as well as the quick release adapter and quick release plates? Anything else? Thanks

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
I am not familiar with the outdoorsman set up you are looking at because I put the Benro S2 on my promaster but before you buy one check out cameralandny.  That is where I picked mine up from, Doug is a great guy and if you mention you are on the Rokslide forum he gives you a way better price than what is listed on there site. 

EDIT

Just looked at the outdoorsman site and it looks like the pan head or micro pan head DO NOT come with the quick release plate so ti looks like you have to buy the head you want then buy the plate(s)

I have 2 plates for my Benro head, one stays on my bino adapter and the other stays on my spotting scope.  I like having the plates stay attached so I don't have to mess with taking the plate off my bino adapter and putting it on my spotter if I want a closer look. Much easier and quicker with both having there own plate.  I am going to pick up a third plate for when I take my camera out so I can still switch between optics quickly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:49:19 AM by colersu22 »

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
Yes, that is how I want to set it up too. Just plug and play between binoculars and spotter. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
No problem Wingin it, I have never heard a bad thing about the outdoorsman heads but couldn't justify the price when I have no issues with the Benro head.  Sometimes I try and come up with excuses with it so I can upgrade  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]