collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Roosevelt Elk newbie question  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Abner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Roosevelt Elk newbie question
« on: December 24, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
OK so without sounding too much like a troll, I have a question about hunting Roosevelt elk. I live in NORTHERN Ca. (Redding). I'm a typical two week a year vacation kind of guy so a separate scouting trip is kind of out. I have hunted both Rocky Mt. elk and last year drew a Tule elk tag here in Ca. I have always wanted to hunt the big bodied Roosevelts but never really took the time to learn where to go. So, next year I want to give it a try. I'm not a trophy hunter, even a cow would do, and think I have pretty realistic expectations when hunting a new area. This is my first try at reaching out to start my education so bear with me. I will also be talking with biologists and the Game dept.
So, my question is, is there a unit on the west side where a guy could spend a week and have a decent chance of getting into elk. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable fee to hunt private ground. Bow or rifle, either one. I'm sure you are shaking your head about now, but any info. wold help me get started. Thanks.

Offline bigsads

• Hunter
Re: Roosevelt Elk newbie question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
But the Longview weyco permit and hunt Margaret,  with effort you will be into elk

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
Anywhere around St Helens. Stay out of the Loo-Wit or angry natives will hunt you!

Online Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
I'll second the weyco land near st helens in coweeman or winston units too, along with margaret.  Now is there any good public pig hunting in northern California that you could share?  I'd love to drive down for a hunt, archery or rifle.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »
Since you live in northern Cali. I would concentrate in Oregon for bow season. I would strongly look into the tioga unit. It’s a 3pt or better unit. I also believe without looking weyco has pay to play ground. Not sure the name of the tree farm. But simple look into their website and you can find out. Good thing about Oregon is their is a lot of public ground on the coast. Also the surrounding units are a one elk, one bull or spike only units. Just check the regs before going. I would also pick Oregon cause it’s closer to you. Which would make weekend trips to scout easier. I live in Washington and wil not pay the resident fee anymore cause it’s so miss managed. So I will not tell you to come here and hunt the St. Helens herd. Hoof rot has them pretty well thinned out anyways. Nor would I eat an animal that has a fungus that no one can explain.

If your set on rifle hunting. Some coastal units are draw units. Tioga included. So depends on where you want to hunt. Might be the deciding factor on what weapon you hunt with. If you can hunt the weekends along with your two weeks vacation. I’d strongly suggest bow. Just my  :twocents:

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
Oregon has a lot better rosy hunting than washington :twocents:

Offline Milkman

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
Oregon has a lot better rosy hunting than washington :twocents:
:yeah:

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
PM sent.

P.S. - Stay in Kalifornia. Please.

Offline Brute

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
There is a lot of Roosevelt elk along the Northern California Coast   :dunno:

Offline Abner

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and info. I will look in to all of it. For those of you asking about hunting elk here in California, it is all draw. I had max points last year when I drew my Tule tag. Now that I am back to zero points it will take literally decades before I have a reasonable chance of drawing any elk tag again. Thanks again.

Offline Brute

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and info. I will look in to all of it. For those of you asking about hunting elk here in California, it is all draw. I had max points last year when I drew my Tule tag. Now that I am back to zero points it will take literally decades before I have a reasonable chance of drawing any elk tag again. Thanks again.

Well that sucks.
No wonder you are looking elsewhere.
Did you connect on a Tule?

Offline Abner

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
Brute - yes it does suck. At 53, I will most likely never draw another elk tag in Ca.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
Just a thought but you might want to check out the islands near Kodiak, Alaska. Afognak Island and Raspberry Island both have elk. I'm almost 100% sure they're rosies. I see them most of the year sunning themselves on the slopes along Whale Pass. I know they get hunted but you'd have to research it more. Hunting elk on an island has some advantages, even if they are good sized islands. Anyway might be another option. Maybe call the Kodiak Chamber of Commerce and get a visitors guide.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
Lots of the units in western WA have success rates between about 4-15%.  The units with the most logging activity seem to be the best bet.  The herds can get seriously picked over as the seasons keep progressing.  By the time firearm season opens, it can be very tough to find a legal bull.  Are you looking to be in flatter, swampier areas or steep, mountainy areas?  Just kind of figure all will have tons of stumps, slash, underbrush.

Offline Abner

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
EricM - I have hunted Alaska in the past, but it isn't in the cards in the for seeable future. I'm not sure I would go all that way for elk anyway. I see a huge deer with big paddles(moose) when I think of Alaska. LOL

Hoffa - I think it would be exciting to hunt the super thick black forest, but I would take any kind of terrain if it held elk. I also don't really need to kill a bull. A cow would be just fine with me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal