collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: cougar population  (Read 7270 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: cougar population
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »
When did WDFW come out against any additional harvest methods?  I think if HSUS and PAWS were supportive we could get some hound pursuit back, the state (WDFW) is not the problem in that regard.

I-655 is not under the control of HSUS and PAWS. It was voted on and passed by "the people" of Washington (King, Snohomish Counties).

To get hound hunting back will require A LOT more than their support. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
Only 40% of CMAs that have quotas ever reach quota. I have proposed and have significant support for additional harvest methods to be allowed.
WDFW has came out against any additional harvest methods.
Are they really supportive of predator harvest? It doesn't seem so.

It might of came out wrong.  Most of the good units on the eastside do get filled.  Mainly because the quotas are ridiculously low.  I hunt on a ranch a lot here by my house that every year we are seeing more and more cats every year.  They just added the April season to make people feel warm and fuzzy but it doesn't do jack when a lot of the units close by the end of early season

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
Enough to watch your back!

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
Only 40% of CMAs that have quotas ever reach quota. I have proposed and have significant support for additional harvest methods to be allowed.

It might of came out wrong.  Most of the good units on the eastside do get filled.  Mainly because the quotas are ridiculously low.  I hunt on a ranch a lot here by my house that every year we are seeing more and more cats every year.  They just added the April season to make people feel warm and fuzzy but it doesn't do jack when a lot of the units close by the end of early season
I have no disagreement with anything you said. From looking at the stats on cougar kills it looks to me like areas that have snow, accessibility and have opener landscapes tend to have their quotas filled.
That doesn't mean there are less cougar elsewhere. It means boot hunting is not effective in 60% of the State. Why not let another user group have a try at those unharvested quotas? A season could be crafted to not take away from other user groups so it is hard to understand why the Department will not support it.
Well, I can guess. In a meeting when I was giving my sales pitch, afterwards I heard this comment " We'll see what the Humane Society thinks of it". Somehow I knew I was sunk when I heard that. 
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 12:56:46 AM »
When did WDFW come out against any additional harvest methods?  I think if HSUS and PAWS were supportive we could get some hound pursuit back, the state (WDFW) is not the problem in that regard.

I-655 is not under the control of HSUS and PAWS. It was voted on and passed by "the people" of Washington (King, Snohomish Counties).

To get hound hunting back will require A LOT more than their support. :twocents:

Never going to happen!

In 1996, nine counties out of the 39 in the state voted for keeping hounds & baiting, that means, in addition to the ones mentioned above, there were 28 other counties, statewide that voted to take hounds and baiting away.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/results_report.aspx?e=&c=&c2=&t=&t2=&p=&p2=655&y=

Can click on the circled link in the picture to see the breakdown by county for those interested
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »

I have no disagreement with anything you said. From looking at the stats on cougar kills it looks to me like areas that have snow, accessibility and have opener landscapes tend to have their quotas filled.
That doesn't mean there are less cougar elsewhere. It means boot hunting is not effective in 60% of the State. Why not let another user group have a try at those unharvested quotas? A season could be crafted to not take away from other user groups so it is hard to understand why the Department will not support it.
Well, I can guess. In a meeting when I was giving my sales pitch, afterwards I heard this comment " We'll see what the Humane Society thinks of it". Somehow I knew I was sunk when I heard that. 
that last part makes me sick!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
HSUS will NEVER support hunting their entire mission is to take all animal use and ownership out of the hands of humans.  They are very anti people. PAWS is not much better.

They will always work against hunting.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »

Do you think you could get one in a cage trap? Would you think it's like trapping a bobcat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »

Do you think you could get one in a cage trap? Would you think it's like trapping a bobcat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
It is common to have them go in bobcat cages and steal the bait. All we need to trap them is the OK to do it and some bigger cages.
One member had a picture of a small one he caught in a bobcat cage 15x15x36. I don't know how the door managed to close.
Bruce Vandervort

Online time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »
Easy and cheap to build.
http://www.livetraps.com/live-traps/cougar-traps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »
Easy and cheap to build.
http://www.livetraps.com/live-traps/cougar-traps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would not take that big of a trap.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »

Never going to happen!

In 1996, nine counties out of the 39 in the state voted for keeping hounds & baiting, that means, in addition to the ones mentioned above, there were 28 other counties, statewide that voted to take hounds and baiting away.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/results_report.aspx?e=&c=&c2=&t=&t2=&p=&p2=655&y=

Can click on the circled link in the picture to see the breakdown by county for those interested

My point exactly. ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
I heard that there's a chance that we'll be cage trapping lions in the near future. I personally haven't been able to get off of lion sign this fall/winter regardless of where I've been. Also was involved in calling and killing a really big Tom this winter, there is to many around :twocents:
Go hawks

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
reading that list, it looks like every single county voted to ban it. Am I reading it wrong?

Offline hhack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »
If toms have such a massive range according to the state why can’t we at least transfer quota from one gmu to the other. States gonna do it with halibut this year why not cougars.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]