collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Favorite "pack heat?"  (Read 7523 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Favorite "pack heat?"
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
I pack a -20 rated down bag and tiny tent, never have any trouble keeping warm in this state.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:01 AM »
Tiny? In that its so small you have to go outside to change your mind?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
As a person addicted to random camping gadgets..... My life is now complete, that biolite thing is awesome . haha

Offline returnofsid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
Reviving this thread...

So, I hunt out of a Travel Trailer, but want to be prepared, in the event that I need to spend a night or two away from camp.  I've been researching hammock systems, backpacking stoves, etc.  I already create my own dehydrated meals, and leave camp with what I would need to survive a few nights, if needed.  I'd just like to be prepared to do so, more comfortably.  In this endeavor, I've been reading a lot of this particular forum.

Anyway, last night, I read through this thread, Googling names I'd never heard of.  One of those was Biolite.  I was intrigued.  It looks like a really cool system, but out of my current price range. 

Each morning, while drinking my coffee before work, I peruse Craigslist sporting goods section.  This morning was no different.  Low and behold, what do I find...a Biolite stove and grill, for $50.00! He'd posted it late last night. I shoot a quick text to the listed number, and head for work.  Now, I'm the proud owner of a Biolite stove and grill!  I met up with him after work, to check it out.  It's the older model, with only 2 fan speeds, and no LED light, but it works great!  I brought it home, sat in my lawn chair, crumpled up a small piece of paper, and started picking up twigs and small pine cones that I could reach without even leaving my lawn chair.  Before I knew it, I was venturing out a few feet, to scrounge more twigs and pine cones.  90 minutes later, I've cleaned up the yard in about a 15 foot radius, and have had a constant fire going since.  I'm impressed!

So, to those in this particular thread, who brought the name to my attention, THANK YOU!!
2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 28"DL/60-70lb DW Purchased new, 4/26/2014
Fuse Carbon Interceptor 7 pin sight
Hoyt/QAD HD Fall Away Rest
TightSpot Quiver
GT XT Hunter @ 440 Gr. Total Weight
100 grain Muzzy 3 blade and/or 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS Broadheads

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
My buddy brought his Biolite to elk camp last year, he has the bbq part and the light for his. friggen sweet!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 09:51:30 PM »
If you plan on using the biolite and you have a static camping location I'd recommend picking up a bunch of pinecones during a dry day and stashing them somewhere protected.

Nothing worse than trying to keep a biolite going with soggy pinecones.

Offline jwfaber1

• JustinF
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
This will be my first year going out during rifle season...I've been able to get a fire going in light rain or post-rain plenty of times, but how impossible is it to get one going in early november when everything will most likely be soaked? Worth attempting? Or should I just invest in a biolite or something similar
Justin

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
Wall tent and wood stove.

Heavy equals heat.......................and a surplus of it.

Offline jwfaber1

• JustinF
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
I plan to use my normal backpacking setup and don't intend to go out and buy a bunch of new expensive shelter equipment. Maybe in a couple years, but for now I'm stuck with my lightweight big agnes tent and MSR stove. It's going to suck, but it is what it is. I may get a tarp too, so I have a little more dry space. Anyone ever have success making fires in november?
Justin

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 12:11:56 PM »
I plan to use my normal backpacking setup and don't intend to go out and buy a bunch of new expensive shelter equipment. Maybe in a couple years, but for now I'm stuck with my lightweight big agnes tent and MSR stove. It's going to suck, but it is what it is. I may get a tarp too, so I have a little more dry space. Anyone ever have success making fires in november?
If you're backpacking into wilderness in November, you're likely to encounter either snow or heavy rains.   Keeping stuff dry is hard.   If snow, it's hard to find a place to build a fire, let alone dry firewood. You'll be better off with a biolite, or a backpacking stove.  I pack fatwood as well as fire starting squares to have something dry enough to get a fire going, then you'll need to stack any gathered wood next to the fire to dry it out.  You'll want a tarp to hang over your clothes as you try to dry them with heat from fire.    You'll need to dedicate enough daylight time each day to cut firewood as it'll take a few hours of burning each night to dry out your clothes. 

The other challenge to be aware of is snow load.  I've had multiple tents snap under snow load, and even my tipi pole last year in the crazy November storm we saw.   It does not take much snow load to break a 3 season backpacking tent pole.  A 4 season tent is worth the extra weight.   Waking up buried in snow really sucks, having had it happen to me a few times now....

A tipi with stove is worth the long term investement, at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:18:04 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline jwfaber1

• JustinF
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »
All good to know! I may have to consider a biolite as well.

Just sent you a PM, kselkhunter. Don't want to pull this thread too far off topic.
Justin

Offline returnofsid

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
For dealing with rain or snow, keep in mind, there's almost always standing dead wood nearby, whether it be a dead tree that's still standing, a downed tree with branches sticking up out of the snow, or even a living tree, that's lower branches are dead and dry.

As an experiment, I left my sprinkler on in my back yard, for close to 12 hours... ok, i forgot it was on and fell asleep. As soon as i turned it off, i walked the yard, picking up twigs and small pinecones. Within 10 minutes, i was grilling burgers on my biolite. I did use a small piece of paper, a 5" grocery receipt that was in my pocket, to assist in starting the fire. 10 minutes later, I had 3 hamburgers cooked.
2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 28"DL/60-70lb DW Purchased new, 4/26/2014
Fuse Carbon Interceptor 7 pin sight
Hoyt/QAD HD Fall Away Rest
TightSpot Quiver
GT XT Hunter @ 440 Gr. Total Weight
100 grain Muzzy 3 blade and/or 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS Broadheads

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »
If you're backpacking into wilderness in November, you're likely to encounter either snow or heavy rains.   Keeping stuff dry is hard.   If snow, it's hard to find a place to build a fire, let alone dry firewood. You'll be better off with a biolite, or a backpacking stove.  I pack fatwood as well as fire starting squares to have something dry enough to get a fire going, then you'll need to stack any gathered wood next to the fire to dry it out.  You'll want a tarp to hang over your clothes as you try to dry them with heat from fire.    You'll need to dedicate enough daylight time each day to cut firewood as it'll take a few hours of burning each night to dry out your clothes. 

The other challenge to be aware of is snow load.  I've had multiple tents snap under snow load, and even my tipi pole last year in the crazy November storm we saw.   It does not take much snow load to break a 3 season backpacking tent pole.  A 4 season tent is worth the extra weight.   Waking up buried in snow really sucks, having had it happen to me a few times now....

A tipi with stove is worth the long term investement, at some point in the future.

Snow load can be an issue in September too  :chuckle:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »
That biolite is affordable enuff may have to try it out. Its secret is self-powered fan to keep the fire hot like a mini forge I guess.   Course charging ur iphone is a plus.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]