collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Forest Service Demolishes Access to Private Property  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
Re: Forest Service Demolishes Access to Private Property
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 06:59:41 AM »
Most of their offices have shifted to be loaded with specialized 'ologists' as opposed to foresters, then conveniently don't have the personel to do layout. Put out another timber sale and you've got the revenue for a full staff of foresters for the year.

Humptulips, those funds you speak of for 'restoration' projects are likely coming from stewardship sales, which most of the forests are shifting to since it's a workaround that can get dollars back to the forest itself.  I've bid dozens of these sales, and you're right, the costs are out of control, mainly because of self imposed restrictions. I'd imagine the costs of those pipes/bridges are largely due to the over-engineering and 'weed free' rock.  One large project we did required rock from a certified weed free rock source. The nearest was something like 35 miles away. There was perfectly good rock showing in the bank right next to the project... It's so disappointing that these pipes and bridges that are bought and installed on private timberlands for 25-75k cost 750k+ for the USFS.

I can have a road cleared of windfall, ditched and culvert inlets cleaned for about $1500/mile pretty easy. In this market, even a thinning sale with some hindering restrictions should bring $300/M stumpage. Sell 5 million feet and you could do 1000 miles of maintenace. And what'll really make you want to puke... A retired forester from the GP told me it has 1 billion board feet of sustainable growth annually. While their cut has ticked up, its still only like 30 million feet a year...  :yike:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »
@Logger

He has once said there were several open logging contracts that nobody has bid because part of the cost was the complete removal of road bed upon completion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
If you knew the "process" for putting out a timber sale in today's world,  you would understand WHO is in charge of the USFS.

This just didn't happen yesterday,  its started way back in the 70's.   Its only gotten worse as time has ticked by.

Last "sale" I seen the paper work on(mid 2000) was crazy,   if you'd been the faller on it, You'd better have tennis shoes on and a very small saw!!( I logged the area off in the late 70's already!)  the "controllers" only want old logging sale areas reopen, NO new sale areas.

The ONLY way the sale was "allowed" to be put out for bid,(by the powers that control) there HAD to be road abandonment(the more miles the better) and any "new" road work had to be destroyed before sale was finalized!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Aside from timber sales and stream beds (which I know nothing about) Why would anyone take an old logging road, that has existed for well over 30+ years, been gated or blocked off, had nothing but foot traffic, is up in the mountains, far away from any streams and having no effect on fish what so ever, grate it up like they used a giant rototiller for miles and then dump trees on it ? It makes no sense to me. Not even the animals can use it after they are done.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
Aside from timber sales and stream beds (which I know nothing about) Why would anyone take an old logging road, that has existed for well over 30+ years, been gated or blocked off, had nothing but foot traffic, is up in the mountains, far away from any streams and having no effect on fish what so ever, grate it up like they used a giant rototiller for miles and then dump trees on it ? It makes no sense to me. Not even the animals can use it after they are done.

Because it keeps a FS person working. They don't have the budget for a lot of stuff but they can get money for as Alan said restoration. If the money is available they will spend it and if the only way they are allowed to spend it is tearing up roads they will find roads to tear up.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »

If you are referring to the road in the article, it was opposite of everything you just said.  It follows Eagle Creek, the culverts were washed out during a flood, and was closed to motor vehicles.  People had disregarded the fact that it was closed and kept using motor vehicles on it and doing their own thing.  Gates don't mean much to locals around here, they will find away around a barricade anyway they can.   

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
I was referring to road closures and decommissioning in general. I spend all my time in the Blues and don't see the damage you see in other areas.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal