collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Disappointing conversation  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Camo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Disappointing conversation
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
Doing some research for next year’s hunt, I had a typically pleasant conversation with a representative from IDFG. Towards the end of the conversation I was asked where I was calling from, which is not too uncommon in my experience. The next question was, “am I an ethical hunter”. I was a little shocked at the question, to which I hesitantly replied, yes, very much so. 

Before I go any further and get crucified here. I understand that every year, there are “impressions” and verbalized contempt regarding out of state hunters in most western states. Most of which, I want to believe, (though unacceptable) are isolated incidents, that end up labeling an entire community. I also believe, from a PR standpoint, that most F&G representatives from any state, are going to be overly cognizant of this before they start making generalizations.

The previous sentence is the reason I am posting this. Based off our “very general” conversation, my “impression” is that there were enough incidents that took place during this past season that not only made Washington hunters stand out above all others, but more specifically hunters from the west side of the state, which would include me. Therefore, I am taking this personally and felt that it was my responsibility to pass this observation on to others. I greatly appreciate the experience and opportunity that Idaho and all other states afford me, which is why I spend the time and money to go there. I assume, like everyone else that does the same? Therefore, I will respect the laws, the landscape, and ethical responsibilities that come with it. Not only leaving it a better place for me to return to next year, but actually welcoming me back.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:50:54 PM by Camo »
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Disappointing conversation today
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »
Idaho is eager to learn who is buying their tags and what they can do to keep them buying them.  IMO I wouldn't read much more into it than that  :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:49:43 PM »
The only conclusion I can reach from that is that they have a poorly trained agent who asked an inappropriate question.

Nothing more.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Personally I'd love to see a wall go up on our border to the people's republic of Washington/Oregon/California. But that probably wouldn't be the best thing for revenue. I'm sure he asked you for good reason...

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
I have heard that before. A Montana game agent told a guy I know that they wrote more tickets to Washington out of state hunters than any other state.

A Washington game agent in eastern Washington told me that they had more trouble with hunters from Sedro Woolley than any other area.

We have a long ways to go on ethics. :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »
As a guy who used to field those calls (WA and WY, not ID), I find the "ethical hunter" question pointless.  Mainly because the answer will always be yes - the ethical are truthful and the unethical are liars, so I don't see the point in asking.  I generally assume the guys calling in winter for next year's hunt are ethical and trying to make good, informed decisions - though I have formed my own opinions otherwise during certain conversations, I kept my opinions to myself regarding the caller's character. 

As for generalizing about hunters' character based on where they live, that's a BS game.  No better than racism or other bias really.  I bet Washington hunters are the #1 or #2 nonresident hunter constituency in Idaho, and since most Washingtonians live in the greater Pugetropolis area, it stands to reason a fair number of their violators will be from there.  It would be pretty ignorant to extrapolate from those demographics that western Washington hunters tend to be less ethical than others. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Camo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
Idaho is eager to learn who is buying their tags and what they can do to keep them buying them.  IMO I wouldn't read much more into it than that  :dunno:
There was additional "generic" conversation following that question that leads me to believe there was "some" substance behind the question.
The only conclusion I can reach from that is that they have a poorly trained agent who asked an inappropriate question.

Nothing more.
In this PC era that I live in, I personally appreciate a constructive "inappropriate" question. I would rather know what is going on as opposed to some new law or rule restricting me from something I didn't know was a problem. Maybe I can't innfluence it, but it won't be a surprise.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Disappointing conversation
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »
Rather than speculating, have you considered calling back and asking them what the reasons for those questions were? 
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »
Weird. I don’t get the speculation either.  Sounds like a dumb question that was asked by the IDFG guy but I don’t understand the speculation either.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »
I was hunting a BMA ranch this year and the owner told me he's dropping out of the program. He said I was the first one to come introduce myself all year long and that the out of staters were actually the most respectful. It was the local Montana residents who showed up acting like they owned the place he said.

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
When I took my oldest to hunter safety class a few years ago the instructors said that WA residents have the reputation for being the worst for trespassing.  Both within WA, and as out of state hunters.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
Shudda asked that person if they litter when they drive through Washington ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Shudda asked that person if they litter when they drive through Washington ?

Lmao

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
Some of the conversations I've had about Washington hunters over a drink with born and raised Idahoans cannot be discussed here as it is not suited for the general audience.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 08:24:52 PM »
Guarantee ya it's some sort of stupid quota/survey thing thought up by some idiot bean counter that knows nothing about hunting. It's becoming the norm throughout all government agencies; the QI boys and girls have to throw out something new every so often to continue to act like they're being productive. I wouldn't take it personally.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]