collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: All new hunters  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Billy74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
All new hunters
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
I am so glad to see so many new adult hunters.  I started more than 2 years ago and this was my 1st season in the field armed with a tag. I was very insecure about being and adult with 0 experience trying to learn a skill normally passed down through family .  with what I learned on line and a mish-mash of outdoor experience it was a game changer.   I’ve had more fun not being successful but with a purpose than anything else outdoor related.   This truly feels like an end game venture.  For all the other adults who feel like this is something only passed down from farther to son please remember this is your chance to be the father.  Get outdoors and get after it!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
Re: All new hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:33:42 PM »
Hunting is a great excuse to get outside and experience the world around you. With the bonus of putting steaks on the table .  I'm glad you caught the hunting bug .  Hope you learn lots off the people on this forum .  You can search and find the answer to any question on here.  Good luck hunting to ya !

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
Enjoy the outdoors it's the best place to be
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
The main thing is you are getting out there and learning as you go :tup:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:42 PM »
I am so glad to see so many new adult hunters.  I started more than 2 years ago and this was my 1st season in the field armed with a tag. I was very insecure about being and adult with 0 experience trying to learn a skill normally passed down through family .  with what I learned on line and a mish-mash of outdoor experience it was a game changer.   I’ve had more fun not being successful but with a purpose than anything else outdoor related.   This truly feels like an end game venture.  For all the other adults who feel like this is something only passed down from farther to son please remember this is your chance to be the father.  Get outdoors and get after it!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear there are still folks out there taking the time to think it out and do it right. I'd much rather have you out there in the field with me than a buck-fevered, umpteenth-generation swellhead that thinks just because daddy bought him a new ultra mag, that he's the living reincarnation of John Wayne and Davy Crockett!

Good Luck!  :tup:

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
I enjoy seeing new hunters & fishers, also. Especially women and minorities that we haven't traditionally seen out hunting and fishing.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:16 AM »
i started at 24 without much of a mentor, sure was a bit of a learning curve.  small game/bird hunting was pretty easy to pick up, but it took me until this year(8 years later) to finally bag my first deer, a tank of a blacktail.  not to mention i've turned my dad back into a semi-serious big game hunter in the process :tup:
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 07:01:24 AM »
Great post. I just started a couple years ago too. I've been networking with as many people as possible, and leaning on this forum a lot. Insecurity is and has been a huge obstacle to overcome for me too. And it seems hard to find someone to teach you when so many are protective of their hard earned info and have limited time to share. But I've been fortunate to spend time with several members on here and have learned a lot.
I've been really public about the new adventures and have inspired a couple new hunters into our ranks too!

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:43 AM »
I started in 2009 I was 40. I still havent killed anything other than trapping skunks, packrats, and other nuisances at work.

I grew up fishing with my dad and grandpa's. But no one hunted in my family just friends and neighbors. So I grew up eating game.

I was terrified of guns as well until 2009.  Now lets just say I like em a little and own a few.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »
Cool post! I started as an adult as well. I think I was 25 maybe? Now I’m 42 and still can’t get enough. I had zero mentor and was totally that guy after I got a deer was like, now what?! Got through that first one and can now break down an animal like nobody’s business! Lol..  I love being outdoors and hiking around with a pack on! Not sure I’d be much of a mentor, but if anyone ever has any questions, feel free to hit me up! Stay safe out there y’all!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]