collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves Kill 154 Cows In Just One Northwest Minnesota County  (Read 9266 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Wolves Kill 154 Cows In Just One Northwest Minnesota County
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:23:30 AM »
Wolves Kill 154 Cows In Just One Northwest Minnesota County

Midwest farmers say wolves are a growing problem, urge Washington to act

http://www.graydc.com/content/news/Midwest-farmers-say-wolves-are-a-growing-problem-urge-Washington-to-act-466303513.html

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
Re: Wolves Kill 154 Cows In Just One Northwest Minnesota County
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:34:24 AM »
Those are staggering numbers.  Hopefully videos like this will bring some attention to the dire situation in some states and areas but, it is not likely.  They will keep their pointy little heads held high and claim it is nature running its course.  :mor:
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:34 AM »
Thank you wolfbait, everyone should do their best to distribute this video.  Someone gets it

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:34 AM »
One wolf to the other "Where's the beef!"

My inlaws all quit going north to hunt in MN/WI because they started seeing more wolves than deer, the wolves have to eat something!  TOTAL MADNESS!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »

My inlaws all quit going north to hunt in MN/WI because they started seeing more wolves than deer, the wolves have to eat something!  TOTAL MADNESS!

grew up not far from there and used to grouse hunt up there in the 1970's early 80's not uncommon to see 40 60 deer in the big hay fields at night. Usually count over 200 deer a night shining fields which is legal there. Went home last year and in 3 hours of shining fields saw 2 does.

My friends abck at home say they get many more pics of wolves now on trail cams then deer. I used to go home and bow hunt rut every year for oover 20 years. I stopped because the wolves cleaned out most of the deer.

And they shut down wolf hunting in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan . Howling for wolves was one of the groups involved in the lawsuit to end wolf hunting. Minnesota has over 2000 wolves now and increasing 30 per cent a year!!!!They are closely associated with conservation NW.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »

Minnesotans usually take 150,000 to over 200,000 deer a year.  In the last 20 years there have only been 2 years where the harvest was under 150,000...... 1997 at 143,327 and 2014 at 138,442. Don't know about 2017 but 2015 and 2016 the harvest was 159,343 and 173,213 respectively, so the population is climbing again. I'd guess the 2014 down cycle was weather/habitat related. The population peaked between 2003 and 2006 then started a decline. Now it's on the incline again.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/deer/reports/harvest/deerharvest_2016.pdf

Wisconsin still harvests about 300,000 deer per year. Down from the peak of about 600,000 deer in 2000. But they made a concerted effort to lower the deer population in those days because they had way too many. You could get multiple deer tags and shooting does was definitely encouraged, in fact in 2000, 356,741 does were taken by rifle hunters and 46,220 were taken by bow hunters.  Compare that to Washington's TOTAL (bucks and does) harvest for 2000 of 40,976 deer. So in 2000 in Wisconsin, bow hunters alone killed more does than the total deer harvest in Washington.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/deerhistory.pdf

I don't think either state has a deer shortage.

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2017/11/28/wisconsin-gun-deer-harvest-dips-35-year-low/900566001/

most of the harvest is in the south part of the state with fewer or no wolves but am sure you know that

i ve deer hunted in Wisconsin over 30 years.How many years have you hunted there? The deer hunting there used to be world class and over 4 months long.

Same guys who come on here and sing the praises of wolves in Washington, Idaho, Montana and CNW :dunno:

yep the weather is to blame once again

The northern Wisconsin deer herd, especially, has benefitted from three consecutive mild winters and several years of “buck only” regulations intended to allow more female deer to live and reproduce.

Over 3500 wolves in Minnesota and Minnesota, hunting shutdown by anti hunting groups and wolf populations growing uncontrolled  now at 30 per cent a year

Anti hunting Groups like howling for wolves and conservation nw  should pay these farmers for their losses if they want exploding uncontrolled wolf populations and no way to control them. Their dream of ending all hunting is slowly coming to fruition

Minnesotans usually take 150,000 to over 200,000 deer a year.  In the last 20 years there have only been 2 years where the harvest was under 150,000...... 1997 at 143,327 and 2014 at 138,442. Don't know about 2017 but 2015 and 2016 the harvest was 159,343 and 173,213 respectively, so the population is climbing again. I'd guess the 2014 down cycle was weather/habitat related. The population peaked between 2003 and 2006 then started a decline. Now it's on the incline again.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/deer/reports/harvest/deerharvest_2016.pdf

Wisconsin still harvests about 300,000 deer per year. Down from the peak of about 600,000 deer in 2000. But they made a concerted effort to lower the deer population in those days because they had way too many. You could get multiple deer tags and shooting does was definitely encouraged, in fact in 2000, 356,741 does were taken by rifle hunters and 46,220 were taken by bow hunters.  Compare that to Washington's TOTAL (bucks and does) harvest for 2000 of 40,976 deer. So in 2000 in Wisconsin, bow hunters alone killed more does than the total deer harvest in Washington.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/deerhistory.pdf

I don't think either state has a deer shortage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:00:29 PM by ribka »

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »
You gotta be kidding me!  :yike:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:35:46 AM by Russ McDonald »

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 04:54:23 AM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2017/11/28/wisconsin-gun-deer-harvest-dips-35-year-low/900566001/

most of the harvest is in the south part of the state with fewer or no wolves but am sure you know that

i ve deer hunted in Wisconsin over 30 years.How many years have you hunted there? The deer hunting there used to be world class and over 4 months long.

Same guys who come on here and sing the praises of wolves in Washington, Idaho, Montana and CNW :dunno:

yep the weather is to blame once again

The northern Wisconsin deer herd, especially, has benefitted from three consecutive mild winters and several years of “buck only” regulations intended to allow more female deer to live and reproduce.

Never hunted Wisconsin. But that's irrelevant.  The facts are the facts. You can choose to believe them or not. The Wisconsin DNR has a lot of data that they share.

So, as to my guess of weather....... well, this was actually pretty predictable.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/heavy-winter-kill-likely-means-no-doe-hunt-in-northern/article_9e9a57bd-5c2e-50e4-91d1-97b66a6d6934.html

Two bad winters in a row and heavy winter kill.  Which led to the restrictions you cited and the three mild winters since have helped the herd grow again.

As for "singing the praises of wolves", I'm not sure many do that on this site. But there are some of us who say that the harm done to game populations is way overstated by some. 

If you are really interested in the different ways deer die in Wisconsin, this radio collar study they did is pretty interesting. You'd be surprised to know that wolves weren't that big of a factor in how deer died.  The major factor was hunters, even when it came to fawns.  As for fawn mortality, there were two groups that were studied, (Northern forest fawns and Eastern farmland fawns) As you probably expected in the northern forest, predation was the #1 cause of death. But of 16 fawns that died by Dec 31, only one was killed by a wolf. The leader was bobcats at 4 and bear and coyotes at 2 each and 2 by unknown predators. Hunters took 3, and a poacher took 1 and 1 was a road kill. In the Eastern farm land, the causes of death were far different.  Of the 19 radio collared fawns that died there, Only 4 were killed by predators. One by bobcat, 2 by coyotes and one by a domestic dog.  Disease killed 4, and starvation killed 9, and 2 by hunters.  My guess would be that the farmland has less cover from snow and less to eat in the winter after crops are harvested and the diseased ones were starving which made them more susceptible to disease.  So fawns died in both areas but from mostly different causes. And wolves weren't the problem.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/research/documents/Deer_Annual_Report_2013_2014.pdf
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »
Take it easy there sitka- there can't possibly be more to the story than wolves killing everything and conservation groups cheering them on.   ;)

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:02:57 AM »
Take it easy there sitka- there can't possibly be more to the story than wolves killing everything and conservation groups cheering them on.   ;)
:chuckle:
Yea...and what's with all the facts?...this is a wolf thread! 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »

Whoops! Sorry. I forgot where I was.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
Apparently you did

When someone comes on here and redefines  eco terrorists and anti hunting groups as conservation groups you know that facts don’t matter

That was pretty funny I bet when you read that people’s livelihoods are being destroyed by wolves.
Where’s cnw on this massive loss of livestock by wolves?

I thought they supported all user groups

Whoops! Sorry. I forgot where I was.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »

When someone comes on here and redefines  eco terrorists and anti hunting groups as conservation groups you know that facts don’t matter

That was pretty funny I bet when you read that people’s livelihoods are being destroyed by wolves.

CNW probably doesn't do much about wolves in Minnesota, considering it's like 1500 miles from the NW...

I actually like your comment about redefining the term "conservation group" and somewhat agree.  I think we (hunters) did a poor job of protecting the term.  Hunting groups (DU, RMEF, SCI, ect) need to take that term back and make other groups "earn" the title. 

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
posted this before regarding conservation nw and howling for wolves

Howling for wolves is a virulent left wing anti hunting group that has filed lawsuits in Minnesota to shut down wolf control and end all hunting

Mat Johnson staff of CNW

Matt has extensive professional experience and education in information technology systems and electronics. After realizing both the deplorable status that non-human animals hold in modern society and the constant degradation of the environment by humanity, he decided to apply his training to solving these problems by working for a world-class non-profit, Conservation Northwest. MMatt also has experience as a volunteer for the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and Howling For Wolves, is trained as a Minnesota Master Naturalist, and worked on a successful campaign to limit pesticide use in Minneapolis, among many other conservation-related activities.

And sierra club, a close ally of cnw and major anti hunting group, has been involved in shutting down wolf control in the midwest

I posted a link on CNW's facebook page in the past talking about engaging in activism with sierra club

need any more proof :dunno:

CNW probably doesn't do much about wolves in Minnesota, considering it's like 1500 miles from the NW...

I actually like your comment about redefining the term "conservation group" and somewhat agree.  I think we (hunters) did a poor job of protecting the term.  Hunting groups (DU, RMEF, SCI, ect) need to take that term back and make other groups "earn" the title.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]