collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grizzly stik?/ Is heavier better?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Grizzly stik?/ Is heavier better?
« on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:01 PM »
I just got done listening to a Podcast called Beyond The Kill , it was episode 74 with the owner of Grizzly stik. They had some interesting Ideas on arrow weight and using double blade broadheads. I was curious if anyone has used there goods? I also wonder if you could put a 200 grain broadhead on a 340 spine or would it fly all over the place?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:52:06 PM by JasonG »

Offline mtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Grizzly stik?/ Is heavier better?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:57:06 AM »
I have not used anything from Grizzly Stik. But in answering your spine question. It might depend on the length of your arrow. When you take a 340 spined arrow and chop it down to 26” it is stiffer than that same arrow at 28”. So it would depend on arrow length, and draw weight. I would start by looking at the manufacturers arrow spine chart and make an educated decision from there. I have always heard it’s better to be a little more stiffer on arrow spine than not.

Hope that helps.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
I shoot the GrizzlyStiks with my longbow.  I believe in the extra weight to help with a pass through.  A little correction to your post.  They preach a single bevel, cut-on-contact, two-blade broadhead.  I like the idea of a two blade broadhead for minimizing deflection on a rib, etc.  I also like the idea of a two blade slicing back and forth if inside the animal.  I don't like how two-blades can get finicky with planing in the wind.  I shoot a 180 grain broadhead, but after reading and seeing results with inserts and FOJ's, I think that is just as good as a heavy broadhead.  The broadhead is only to cut a path through the animal.  The extra weight is to achieve the extreme FOC.  I am not as sold on the single bevel design, by listening to their theory on splitting bone, but that is only an opinion I have formed in my head.  I have no experience with these on compounds that shoot heavy arrows at much higher speeds than a trad bow.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
@Todd_ID  is sort of in the loop on this topic too I believe.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
I shoot the GrizzlyStiks with my longbow.  I believe in the extra weight to help with a pass through.  A little correction to your post.  They preach a single bevel, cut-on-contact, two-blade broadhead.  I like the idea of a two blade broadhead for minimizing deflection on a rib, etc.  I also like the idea of a two blade slicing back and forth if inside the animal.  I don't like how two-blades can get finicky with planing in the wind.  I shoot a 180 grain broadhead, but after reading and seeing results with inserts and FOJ's, I think that is just as good as a heavy broadhead.  The broadhead is only to cut a path through the animal.  The extra weight is to achieve the extreme FOC.  I am not as sold on the single bevel design, by listening to their theory on splitting bone, but that is only an opinion I have formed in my head.  I have no experience with these on compounds that shoot heavy arrows at much higher speeds than a trad bow.
Copy , Thanks changed it

Offline wideleft

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
You should check out Alaska bowhunting supply/grizzly stick (websitehttp://www.grizzlystik.com/Arrow-Testing-C76.aspx).  You could mix and match the grain weight of the field points to find what shoots best with your bow.  I considered doing this a few years ago, but decided not to mess with what I already had.   Good luck.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
This has become a little tricky , the research continues.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:12:20 PM »
Pretty wicked looking

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:34 AM »
I dont see any advantage on those blades over the 50 year proven classic Fred Bear double blade with razor inserts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal