collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho deer general help  (Read 2964 times)

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Idaho deer general help
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
Just looking for some opinions on idaho mule deer next year.  It will most likely be general any weapon in central idaho.  Every time I think I find an area to put some effort in I read a new thread on some forum where a group of people is telling someone else its a waste of time.
Originally I was thinking flying in to unit 26 but I don't think ill logistically be able to make that happen this year.  Then I was looking at unit 16a and finding a trailhead to walk away from but I saw some bad reviews on forums.
Here's what I'm looking for...  I want to hike 3 to 6 miles back (more if necessary) and set up a tent to hunt from for 3 to 9 days (planning two trips, one at 3 days and one as much as 9 days).  It will either just be myself or myself and one other person, not sure yet.  I don't expect to kill a giant, I want the experience and will probably shoot the first 140" 4 point I see.  I don't mind seeing other people but I certainly am looking for solitude.  I want to hunt either sage brush or broken timber, I hate thick stuff!
Just wondering if anyone wants to give me some general ideas where most of my expectations could be met so that I can start looking at a specific area instead of being indecisive on multiple units.

Thanks in advance, pm's welcome.  If you get drawn for bethel or goose prairie bull tags I'd be happy to return the favor.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho deer general help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »
Just because you read on a thread somewhere that somebody said don't waste your time or unit sucks just remember people don't just spill good spots on public forums, so doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I personally have zero experience in Idaho but my suggestion would be to call a biologist or game department in a specific area you're interested in. Research has gotta go deeper than threads on a forum.

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:49:19 PM »
Don't waste your time in Idaho, the whole state sucks

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »
You will read that about any and every unit out there, all the way up to the big draw units. Lots of guys have unrealistic expectations and get disappointed and others just flat out lie to try and protect their areas. Harvest statistics, public land percentage and google earth are a good start. Find the type of country you want to hunt, make sure there is ample public land and decent harvest rates and go make er' happen!

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:14:37 PM »
Don't waste your time in Idaho, the whole state sucks   Priceless....
Can't we all just get along?

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Unfortunately some of the reports coming out of Idaho aren't just people throwing you off of the trail of a great unit.  A good portion of the better mule deer areas were hit with a very hard winter last year some areas lost almost 90% of the fawns.  I spent the better part of 9 days in central Idaho last season most of which was several miles deep with not another hunter in site.  We literally saw zero deer we covered a pile of miles between walking, and glassing.  I wouldn't let that discourage you I would just pick an area, and maybe spend some time there this summer.  Backcountry hunting is a great experience, and even without filling a tag we had a great time.

Offline brokemillwright

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 09:57:11 PM »
this was my 3rd year going back, I was fortunate enough to get a decent  buck with alot of hard hunting but this year I definatley noticed the massive winterkill and just odd season. I was kicking does out of their beds in the trees just before sunset when they'd normally be out feeding. next year I might pass in hopes of it recovering quicker

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:59:31 PM »
Unfortunately some of the reports coming out of Idaho aren't just people throwing you off of the trail of a great unit.  A good portion of the better mule deer areas were hit with a very hard winter last year some areas lost almost 90% of the fawns.  I spent the better part of 9 days in central Idaho last season most of which was several miles deep with not another hunter in site.  We literally saw zero deer we covered a pile of miles between walking, and glassing.  I wouldn't let that discourage you I would just pick an area, and maybe spend some time there this summer.  Backcountry hunting is a great experience, and even without filling a tag we had a great time.
Lots of truth here, had the worst trip in 10 years of hunting Idaho's back country.....I believe I'll be looking elsewhere for a few years.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
Lots of truth here, had the worst trip in 10 years of hunting Idaho's back country.....I believe I'll be looking elsewhere for a few years.

Pretty much sums up my experience.... :yeah:

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 03:56:31 AM »
I killed my best buck since moving to Idaho this past season, that being said if I don't draw in a particular draw only unit I'll be applying for this spring, I will be whitetail hunting most likely next fall. The mule deer seemed to be missing an age class for sure this past year and I don't want to add any undue pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 05:07:22 AM »
So what's your advice to the OP
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 05:20:46 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  Typically, my research starts by picking a range of country that looks fun to hunt.  I'll check the regs and adjust to individual units based on seasons.  Then I started checking harvest stats.  I am attracted to units that keep the amount of hunters under 500 and still have above 35% success.  I realize the lack of pressure is because of difficulty and I'm ok with that.  Then I make the mistake of searching out more specific areas like trailheads, towns or major landscape items.  That's usually what leads me to forums where people say those areas are garbage; while I realize that I have to account for people trying to pursuade you to go elsewhere, that information becomes frustrating because there has to be a small amount of truth once in awhile.  At that point, I start over.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 07:18:50 AM »
I would wait for the draw only tags to show up after the winter/spring fly overs. That will tell you a lot about the health of the herds. It still surprises me they set the elk tags so early in December not knowing what winter kill will be like.  As for hunting the church, your rolling the dice by not flying in for the Nov hunt. I heard there is more than one truck stuck for the winter up over the hill from Yellow Pine.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 07:58:23 AM »
I can tell you that Idaho right now is the fastest growing state in the nation.
It's only a matter of time until it is screwed up like the rest of them.
I would find a remote spot where the timber gives way to sage brush and you will find what your looking for.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
I thought Wa was the fastest growing state!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal