collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help from glock guys, 3rd gen vs 4th gen model 20  (Read 2108 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Need help from glock guys, 3rd gen vs 4th gen model 20
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
So after fighting with the Taurus tracker for the last year, im throwing in the towel. it will stack 5 shots up in a tiny little group, then start tossing them wildly as it warms up, cool it down, clean it out, and the next 5 are touching again. I don't trust it for carry.

I am going to be replacing my woods gun with a glock model 20, in 10mm.
I just don't know if it should buy a 4th gen or 3rd gen. I have never even fondled a 4th gen glock, I did rent a 3rd gen 21 last weekend, and liked the ergonomics of it, handled nicely, and was not lacking in any area that wasn't easily remedied ( more mags, better sights etc.)

I like to train with what I use, so my plan is to buy a drop in 40 cal barrel for whatever one I buy, so I can use it during out monthly steel challenge. I would run it as a 10mm for those, but the thought of sorting 40 brass from 10mm brass, and the fact I have a ton of 40 brass, and a press already set up to make good 40 ammo, makes the new barrel worth it to me.

When carrying as 10mm, it will have pretty warm loads in it. like 200g at 1200fps.

looks like the gen 4 has a better RSA assembly, and grip straps to customize the grip size, as well as a little different checkering. I keep reading reviews on people shooting the warmer loads through g20's, recommending a higher # recoil spring. if that's the case, the gen 4's different design holds no merit, as it'll be aftermarket anyways.

the grip on the 3 seems to fit me fine, and didn't leave me wanting.

with all of that, I am leaning towards just buying a 3.

money plays a very inconsequential part of this decision, i'm very new to glocks though, and maybe I am missing something on the gen 4 that would make it a no brainer to take over a gen 3?

thanks for any help/recomendations you guys may have!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Need help from glock guys, 3rd gen vs 4th gen model 20
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
Tagging. 

I love my Glock 20 gen 3, but am no Glock expert. 
I did get the stiffer spring, per recommendation from a Glock guy I trust.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »
I carry the 29sf myself. Aren't the different generations small changes like the backstraps ? I personally never pay any attention to that stuff. I also carry the 30 in 45ACP. I really see no difference even though I have hamhocks for hands.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
I have the gen 3 SF and love it!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Yondering

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Mine is a gen3 SF, but if I were buying one again now, it'd be a gen4, no question. There is no disadvantage to the gen4, but you do gain more grip options and a better magazine release. The additional cost is partly offset by the additional magazine you get in the box.

I do recommend an aftermarket 22 lb recoil spring either way. It should still cycle 40 S&W for your steel shoots in that configuration.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
So after fighting with the Taurus tracker for the last year, im throwing in the towel. it will stack 5 shots up in a tiny little group, then start tossing them wildly as it warms up, cool it down, clean it out, and the next 5 are touching again. I don't trust it for carry.

I am going to be replacing my woods gun with a glock model 20, in 10mm.
I just don't know if it should buy a 4th gen or 3rd gen. I have never even fondled a 4th gen glock, I did rent a 3rd gen 21 last weekend, and liked the ergonomics of it, handled nicely, and was not lacking in any area that wasn't easily remedied ( more mags, better sights etc.)

I like to train with what I use, so my plan is to buy a drop in 40 cal barrel for whatever one I buy, so I can use it during out monthly steel challenge. I would run it as a 10mm for those, but the thought of sorting 40 brass from 10mm brass, and the fact I have a ton of 40 brass, and a press already set up to make good 40 ammo, makes the new barrel worth it to me.

When carrying as 10mm, it will have pretty warm loads in it. like 200g at 1200fps.

looks like the gen 4 has a better RSA assembly, and grip straps to customize the grip size, as well as a little different checkering. I keep reading reviews on people shooting the warmer loads through g20's, recommending a higher # recoil spring. if that's the case, the gen 4's different design holds no merit, as it'll be aftermarket anyways.

the grip on the 3 seems to fit me fine, and didn't leave me wanting.

with all of that, I am leaning towards just buying a 3.

money plays a very inconsequential part of this decision, i'm very new to glocks though, and maybe I am missing something on the gen 4 that would make it a no brainer to take over a gen 3?

thanks for any help/recomendations you guys may have!

Had a Taurus Millennium 9mm - The thing destroyed itself with every shot, soft metal slide was peening itself against the recoil stop with every shot; had to jerk on the slide to get it to come off when field stripping - could hear/see pieces of peened metal shearing off every time. Got rid of that sucker, quick!

Good luck choosing your new Glock!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
I have had a few Taurus pistols, with good luck. This one went back to the factory for a new barrel and a trigger polish. I had to pay for shipping to get it there, it had maybe 30 rounds down the tube. Not a happy camper with that co.pany for sure.

The 44 shoots awesome, the first 5 shots. I'm hoping I can load some ammo and make it work better, wouldn't feel right selling it off to anyone honestly.

The U.S. for all the help so far everyone!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
When I use 200 gr loads in a G20 the 24lb recoil spring is too much and I pinch an occasional empty brass.   

22lb should be about right

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
I would suggest the Gen4, with the interchangeable back straps and the more aggressive grip pattern.

Gen3's are great!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
I was able to find a few glocks in stock at a local store, they had a gen 3 20, and gen 4 20, and a gen 3 21sf on had.

I thought the bigger grip of the non sf wouldn't be a bother, as I have pretty large hands, but man, that sf sure felt good.
The gen 4 was pretty good, but I didn't like just how aggressive it was, prefer the gen 3sf over it.

When it comes time to buy, I am going to get a gen 3sf, and if I cannot source one, I will do a gen4, and take some sand paper to the grip if I need to, to reduce the aggressiveness.

thanks for all the help and comments!

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »

When it comes time to buy, I am going to get a gen 3sf, and if I cannot source one, I will do a gen4, and take some sand paper to the grip if I need to, to reduce the aggressiveness.

A soft cloth buffing wheel (no buffing compound needed) on either a buffer or dremel works pretty well to round off the sharp edges of the gen4 grip texture.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]