collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Road Kill?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Road Kill?
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »
Can you pick up road kill in this state  :chuckle: I know it sounds like a gross question but I would like to make a few bait piles and I see deer all the time that are obviously hit and not shot lol...
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Road Kill?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
Yes you can. There is an online form/permitt you must fill out. I have mine taped to the freezer where my meat is. I think you have 48 hours to fill out the paperwork from the time you pick up the animal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
Salvaging road-killed deer and elk

Apply for a Road Kill
Salvage Permit
MOBILE DEVICES
Mobile devices will not work with the required mapping feature on the application at this time. Please use a desktop or laptop to complete the permit application.
Cover for FACT SHEET: Washington state allows salvaging road-kill deer, elk

Washington state allows
salvaging road-kill deer, elk

Effective July 1, 2016, a new rule adopted by the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission allows people to legally salvage deer and elk carcasses in the state. Nearly 20 other states have adopted similar rules.

The rule specifically applies to deer and elk killed by motor vehicles. Only elk – not deer – may be salvaged in Clark, Cowlitz, and Wahkiakum counties, because federal laws prohibit handling endangered Columbian white-tailed deer in southwest Washington.

Anyone who takes possession of a deer or elk carcass must obtain a free, printable permit from WDFW within 24 hours. The permittee must then keep a hardcopy of the signed and dated salvage permit with the meat until all of the edible parts are consumed.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife does not guarantee that salvaged meat is fit for consumption, and encourages those planning to salvage deer and elk carcasses to review its Wild Game Meat Food Safety information. The new salvage rule also does not authorize trespassing on private property or ignoring highway-safety rules.

To see deer and elk salvage permit data click on this Open Data link.

Provisions of the new rule:

It is permissible to salvage and transport a deer or elk that is accidentally killed by a motor vehicle collision except for any deer killed by a motor vehicle collision in Clark, Cowlitz, and Wahkiakum counties.
A salvage permit must be obtained from the department within 24 hours of taking possession of the animal. Permits may be obtained on the department's website or at department regional offices.
Big game licenses and tags cannot be used for the purpose of salvaging motor vehicle-killed deer or elk.
The entire carcass, including entrails, of the animal must be removed from the road right of way.
Any meat an individual deems unfit for human consumption or unusable animal parts must be disposed of pursuant to WAC 246-203-121. Individuals salvaging and consuming this meat do so at their own risk. The department makes no guarantee as to the fitness for consumption of deer or elk collected under a salvage permit. (See Wild Game Meat Food Safety.)
An individual may not kill an injured or wounded animal for the purpose of salvage. Only a law enforcement officer or individuals or entities authorized by the department may euthanize an animal injured in a motor vehicle collision, whether or not the animal is taken for salvage.
Possession of wildlife in violation of subsection (4) is punishable under RCW 77.15.750.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
Are you located in AK or WA?  In Washington State, you may salvage deer and elk (except no deer salvage in a few southwest Washington counties due to concerns regarding the threatened northern subpopulation of Columbia whitetailed deer). 
See: https://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/game_salvaging/

And heck no, not gross at all.  I have eaten more than a couple of road-killed deer, and they can be just as good as a hunted deer.  Picked up a fat whitetailed doe last winter, and she was some fantastic eating.  As for bait piles, you could probably use a pretty banged-up deer! 

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
Are you located in AK or WA?  In Washington State, you may salvage deer and elk (except no deer salvage in a few southwest Washington counties due to concerns regarding the threatened northern subpopulation of Columbia whitetailed deer). 
See: https://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/game_salvaging/

And heck no, not gross at all.  I have eaten more than a couple of road-killed deer, and they can be just as good as a hunted deer.  Picked up a fat whitetailed doe last winter, and she was some fantastic eating.  As for bait piles, you could probably use a pretty banged-up deer!
My dad’s girlfriend woke up this morning to a dead Columbia Whitetail in her front yard. No bullet holes and no obvious trauma from being hit by a car. Suspected it died of age/other natural causes. WDFW and the Sherrif’s office both said they won’t come get it and told her to go dispose of it in the woods. I told her I’d be worried about making the 20+ mile drive to the woods and dumping a protected species with only a telephone conversation to back it up.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
I agree with you. Call animal control if WDFW won't come out. Stay away from the animal. It's too bad they're willing to waste it. Ridiculous part of the program.  :bash:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
Most likely first words out of animal control will be, "We don't deal with game animals, call WDFW...".

Maybe send an email to WDFW, and then bury it there??

The concern for getting into some degree of trouble if caught or seen disposing of it since it is a protected animal is not something for her to dismiss.

Maybe a small chance D.O.T. or the county road dept, depending on where it is at, might remove it if it was reported to them and that it was in the road right-of-way.... 
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
https://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/game_salvaging/application.html

thanks guys! So doesn't look like you carry anything with you and you just have to report within 24 hrs online.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
That's what I read in it.

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
That's correct.  I have salvaged deer in both E WA and in Idaho. Both states have an online form in which you report species, gender, and other data about the salvaged animal, and you indicate location (there are several ways to do this- clickable map, geographic coordinates, etc.).  The system then generates a printable permit that is to be kept with the meat.  Pretty straightforward!  I prefer to hunt my venison, but I sure don't turn down free roadside venison!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]