collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Was 2017 Season A Weird Year?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Was 2017 Season A Weird Year?
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
Last year was my first year turkey hunting in WA and I was curious if anyone else seemed to think the turkeys were acting a bit weird or quiet. During scouting I would see birds strutting and with hens about a month before season opened so I had high hopes. Opening weekend there was some Toms talking but after that weekend I only heard a tom 1 other time all season(I hunted every weekend of the season). Just curious if anyone noticed anything different last year.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Was 2017 Season A Weird Year?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:08:52 AM »
I'm interested in hearing this too. Our spring hunt was very tough. The toms were unresponsive to most calling and did not want to move.

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
Opener weather was pretty cold which slows them down somewhat. I was snowed on the first three days of the season.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
I'm interested in hearing this too. Our spring hunt was very tough. The toms were unresponsive to most calling and did not want to move.

I hunted about a week after you I believe (I think that's what Rick said).  I found they were responsive... just incredibly quiet.  Reminded me of hunting Easterns in Missouri years ago. 

Subtle, inconsistent feeding talk seemed to be key for us.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
Last year was my first year turkey hunting. I had no problem hearing gobblers early they had me running in circles. The last half of the season was quiet. It was like they got vacuumed up into space or something. Sounds like that is pretty typical from what I have heard.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
Last year was my first year turkey hunting. I had no problem hearing gobblers early they had me running in circles. The last half of the season was quiet. It was like they got vacuumed up into space or something. Sounds like that is pretty typical from what I have heard.

Ok good to know. Opening weekend was fantastic but after that it was like you said they vanished. Turkeys can be some of the funniest animals to hunt and at the same time frustrating. When they don't want to play ball it can be a really tough hunt. I'm thinking it might help if I have a few back up plans this year.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
My dad hunted the first couple weeks over in the NE corner and didn’t have problems at all with the birds talking. He met me in the Central part of the state in early May. We had difficulties locating birds but that’s pretty common where we hunt. Then all of a sudden the birds were gobbling non stop then it really got fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:41:58 PM »
Quiet for me because my area burned in a fire about 3 years ago and I haven’t been able to find where they moved to. Probably onto private land, I guess.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
It's called henned up.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »
It's called henned up.
Exactly.   Of course it us dependant on the spring weather but early April is when the toms start looking for the girls that is when they are fired up.  Wend the hens are bred and got rio nest is when they are what we call henned up.   Not much talking.   Muy experience is if you catch them is tyke roost they will be active but once they hit the ground silence.  Sometimes you can get toms to talk but they won't move of their hens.   Finally about late April and into May the hens will be nested, the toms will bachelor up and look for those single ladies that haven't been bred yet.   So when you see a flock of birds late in the year most likely they are jakes and toms.  They won't be as active as early in the season but they do talk.  This year should be another great year.   Sons tons of jakes and plenty of poult.  The hatch was good again this last spring.   Good luck.  Season is getting closer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline birdmanwa

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
I think the NE has been changing a lot. The birds henned up longer and sometimes the whole season. Birds don't talk as much as they used too. I think a big part of that was there was a lack of toms as compared to hen numbers. Of course some birds responded and talked but it's common to see toms with hens all season long now. Back in the prime around mid-May there were groups of tons wanting to play.
Support WWA.

Offline Butchmeathook

• Drew
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Navy
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »
Mid-season in the NE corner of the state, we had toms gobbling to every call we threw at them, we were on one tom that triple gobbled numerous times but he would not come close enough to get a shot on him, but when he triple gobbled like he did that was enough to get the blood going.  But our hunt was not bad as far as toms talking to us!!
Lord , we've been here on days before
and often times you've let me score
Now do you think that on this day
you could send a gobbler down my way?
And , if not , just let me say--
you've given me another day
to hunt the bird I love the best.
I don't mind sharing with the rest

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »
I was tagged out opening morning so im not sure how the rest of the season was. Typically in my areas first 2 weeks are good. Rest of the season they are much more weary
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline BPturkeys

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
One theory is that when turkey numbers are up they tend to be quieter. Basically because they don't need to hunt so hard for hens. Also, they will be a little quieter do to more people in the woods, making all kinds of turkey sounds on opening day, than say the week before when you were out quietly scouting around. You spook a bird, he'll stay quiet for a while.
I've hunted Eastern WA for over twenty years and I swear the birds get a little quieter every year. We use to drive around, stop, and get lots of answers from a call, now, not so much.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]