collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mule Deer Still Rutting Jan.4 , 2018  (Read 5286 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Mule Deer Still Rutting Jan.4 , 2018
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:15 AM »
Wouldn't believe it if I did not see it. The biggest buck in the local herd -a small 2x2-- was chasing and checking all the does and following a certain doe . She would stop every so often and squat and pee. He would check it out and keep right on her tail. When one of the big whitetail bucks came in to feed , the mulie cut him off and squared off with him. I thought " you stupid mulie he is going to kick your arse" . Sure enough they butted heads and the white tail pushed the much small mulie into a snow covered brush and the mulie went down on all fours. When the big whitetail let up the mulie got to his feet and CHASED the big white tail buck out of the area. Unbelievable. The 2 point mulie was still after the same doe yesterday. Here are pics of the rutting mulie (2 pics )and the whitetail he chased away.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Mule Deer Still Rutting Jan.4 , 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:07:50 AM »
I bet it happens more often than people think. If they don't get bread the first time around they'll come back into heat. Not sure how long it takes a mulie doe to cycle but I would guess at this point that she has been unsuccessfully bread two times already. :dunno:

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
thats a great Whitetail too BTW!  :tup:

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
I think you are right . We were left with only two small two point bucks to breed all the local does. Neighbors have killed all the legal bucks the last couple years. I think the does come into estrus every full moon until bred. Or this certain doe comes in late every year. She has always had "runt " fawns. I think because her fawns are always a month or two younger than the rest. Dunno.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:14:18 AM »
Just the old adage:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight.  :IBCOOL:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
This would be very consistent with elk and deer literature showing that at least some females will refuse to breed with yearling males through two estrus cycles before standing for a yearling male in the third and last.  They are hardwired to seek males with larger antlers.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
This would be very consistent with elk and deer literature showing that at least some females will refuse to breed with yearling males through two estrus cycles before standing for a yearling male in the third and last.  They are hardwired to seek males with larger antlers.

I watched an even smaller 2 point breeding at least four does during the first estrus cycle in early Nov.in my back yard. The only bigger buck disappeared from the herd on opening day in Oct.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:32:25 PM »

I watched an even smaller 2 point breeding at least four does during the first estrus cycle in early Nov.in my back yard. The only bigger buck disappeared from the herd on opening day in Oct.
Yes, ecologically it is a tradeoff.  Drop your fawns with the majority and have the greatest chance of swamping the predators and have your offspring survive, or hold out for a fitter breeder and drop fawns late when there are relatively few newborns and potential for predation is increased.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
Another example of the fine Mule Deer management Plan from WDFW. Kill all the big mature bucks so the two points can breed all the does, perpetuating the cycle of weaker herds, and genetically eliminating bucks with eye guards!

:bash: :bdid:

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
Another example of the fine Mule Deer management Plan from WDFW. Kill all the big mature bucks so the two points can breed all the does, perpetuating the cycle of weaker herds, and genetically eliminating bucks with eye guards!

I have said so many times on here that I wish it was 4pt min for mule deer , and everybody bashes me saying ,it's not gonna help the herd.Glad to see somebody gets it. :tup:

I can't help but think he is gonna have one horn soon and breeding. :chuckle: :chuckle:

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »

I have said so many times on here that I wish it was 4pt min for mule deer , and everybody bashes me saying ,it's not gonna help the herd.Glad to see somebody gets it. :tup:

I can't help but think he is gonna have one horn soon and breeding. :chuckle: :chuckle:

This is not a "bash" because I kind of agree and disagree with both of you, yes theres a lot of big, old 2,s running around(at least in the Methow) and I,m sure they are doing some breeding but I still think the 3point rule is the way to go, what needs to be done in some muley areas is nock off the quality late hunts for awhile, give the big fellas(whats left of them) a break....just my  :twocents:

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

This is not a "bash" because I kind of agree and disagree with both of you, yes theres a lot of big, old 2,s running around(at least in the Methow) and I,m sure they are doing some breeding but I still think the 3point rule is the way to go, what needs to be done in some muley areas is nock off the quality late hunts for awhile, give the big fellas(whats left of them) a break....just my  :twocents:

In five years down the road we can all have a quality mule deer hunt  :twocents:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Brute

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
Wouldn't believe it if I did not see it. The biggest buck in the local herd -a small 2x2-- was chasing and checking all the does and following a certain doe . She would stop every so often and squat and pee. He would check it out and keep right on her tail. When one of the big whitetail bucks came in to feed , the mulie cut him off and squared off with him. I thought " you stupid mulie he is going to kick your arse" . Sure enough they butted heads and the white tail pushed the much small mulie into a snow covered brush and the mulie went down on all fours. When the big whitetail let up the mulie got to his feet and CHASED the big white tail buck out of the area. Unbelievable. The 2 point mulie was still after the same doe yesterday. Here are pics of the rutting mulie (2 pics )and the whitetail he chased away.

That's interesting.

Yesterday I went out looking for some Columbian Whitetails towards Astoria.
One of them had already shed it's antlers.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »

That's interesting.

Yesterday I went out looking for some Columbian Whitetails towards Astoria.
One of them had already shed it's antlers.

Two other large bucks and one small buck ( whitetail ) have shed already. The earliest I have seen a shed is Dec. 10th!! I got the shed and a got a pic of the buck the next day with one antler. The mulies around here usually shed in late Feb. to mid-March.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 12:23:03 AM »

I'm not sure the buck in question is one of genetically "inferior" two-point.  The one I'm looking at in the photo is likely a yearling.  He might be a massive four-point in three or four years.  If that was the case, then there's no harm at all in him breeding a doe when he just a young buck.  The genetics are still there. 

In the case of those bucks which we (silly) humans consider genetically inferior because they don't carry massive racks, the evolution of the species has kept the genetic trait for two-point racks well represented in the deer population as a whole, and not just since the introduction of point-based hunting restrictions.  Certainly, once a buck's body mass and overall rack size attain enough size, be it in either a two-point or four-point version, the animal becomes big enough to kick most smaller buck's butts and thus satisfy a doe's requirements for a dominant buck to breed her.  I doubt a doe cares too much if the buck is missing a point here or there if he's a massive mature stud.   :twocents:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal