collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mule Deer Still Rutting Jan.4 , 2018  (Read 5283 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: Mule Deer Still Rutting Jan.4 , 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Another example of the fine Mule Deer management Plan from WDFW. Kill all the big mature bucks so the two points can breed all the does, perpetuating the cycle of weaker herds, and genetically eliminating bucks with eye guards!

:bash: :bdid:

I'm not sure the buck in question is one of genetically "inferior" two-point.  The one I'm looking at in the photo is likely a yearling.  He might be a massive four-point in three or four years.  If that was the case, then there's no harm at all in him breeding a doe when he just a young buck.  The genetics are still there. 

In the case of those bucks which we (silly) humans consider genetically inferior because they don't carry massive racks, the evolution of the species has kept the genetic trait for two-point racks well represented in the deer population as a whole, and not just since the introduction of point-based hunting restrictions.  Certainly, once a buck's body mass and overall rack size attain enough size, be it in either a two-point or four-point version, the animal becomes big enough to kick most smaller buck's butts and thus satisfy a doe's requirements for a dominant buck to breed her.  I doubt a doe cares too much if the buck is missing a point here or there if he's a massive mature stud.   :twocents:

The buck is just a yearling --his first set of antlers. Here is a pic of his likely father. He was the dominant buck in the local herd for two years until he disappeared in April 2017. Probably  a cougar took him. The little buck has his genetics.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Online hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
Another example of the fine Mule Deer management Plan from WDFW. Kill all the big mature bucks so the two points can breed all the does, perpetuating the cycle of weaker herds, and genetically eliminating bucks with eye guards!

I'm not sure the buck in question is one of genetically "inferior" two-point.  The one I'm looking at in the photo is likely a yearling.  He might be a massive four-point in three or four years.  If that was the case, then there's no harm at all in him breeding a doe when he just a young buck.  The genetics are still there. 

In the case of those bucks which we (silly) humans consider genetically inferior because they don't carry massive racks, the evolution of the species has kept the genetic trait for two-point racks well represented in the deer population as a whole, and not just since the introduction of point-based hunting restrictions.  Certainly, once a buck's body mass and overall rack size attain enough size, be it in either a two-point or four-point version, the animal becomes big enough to kick most smaller buck's butts and thus satisfy a doe's requirements for a dominant buck to breed her.  I doubt a doe cares too much if the buck is missing a point here or there if he's a massive mature stud.   :twocents:

Don't wanna be disrespectful, but if does in January still breeding ,does not tell you the buck:doe ratio is off then nothing will. :twocents:

Not leaving enough surplus animals,let's say buck gets hit by car,fawn born late doesn't make next winter ,genetics gone.

It's a good thing that they have a safe place to winter.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
OP mentioned that the neighbors have shot the local yard deer.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »

Don't wanna be disrespectful, but if does in January still breeding ,does not tell you the buck:doe ratio is off then nothing will. :twocents:

Possibly true.  It may also be that the doe in question has physiologic issues getting and staying pregnant - just like in the rest of the mammalian world, not all females of any species get pregnant the first time they are mated.  Some may never carry. A doe will continue to go through estrus cycles until they conceive, or till some magic time when there are no longer bucks available to mate them - sometimes into March.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Online hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »

Possibly true.  It may also be that the doe in question has physiologic issues getting and staying pregnant - just like in the rest of the mammalian world, not all females of any species get pregnant the first time they are mated.  Some may never carry. A doe will continue to go through estrus cycles until they conceive, or till some magic time when there are no longer bucks available to mate them - sometimes into March.

I will just agree, I don't wanna drag this topic down the mule deer rabbit hole anymore,the pics are very cool of the op to post :tup:,Hope these young mule deer can carry on the herd of mule deer. :twocents:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
My daughter drew a second antler-less deer permit here in Eastern Washington.  It closed on the 31st of December.  We hunted the 30th and she shot a fat mule deer doe.  The mule deer were in big huge herds and they were rutting like crazy!  I personally saw bucks chasing doe's like crazy and witnessed three separate mating's.  That is pretty late in the year or so I thought the rut would be over by then.
Zonk Volmer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg