collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alliant Black MZ  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Alliant Black MZ
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »
Anybody tried this yet?

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Alliant Black MZ
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »
I like it better than Blackhorn or Goex. It's sister is the Blue MZ pellets.
I discontinued 777, Pyrodex and American Pioneer/Shockeys years ago.

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
I just tried it today for the first time. Shot it in my Knight MK85 54cal. RWS 1075 caps (#11) Granulation is kinda course so it does not slide through my powder flask as smoothly as others do. Fast ignition and seems clean burning and still smokes like real BP. I found that you do have to compress the powder in the bore pretty well. I loaded powder then used a flat faced jag and made 3 hard presses down on the powder. I could feel it compressing down. Then loaded my sabot/bullet combo. Gave another good press with that. Accuracy seemed to be there once I started using this loading sequence. Cleaned the same as usual.

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 06:38:48 AM »
No matter what loose powder I once use, I always leaned hard on the ramrod / T-handle or round bullet starter at the tip of the ramrod.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
I just tried it today for the first time. Shot it in my Knight MK85 54cal. RWS 1075 caps (#11) Granulation is kinda course so it does not slide through my powder flask as smoothly as others do. Fast ignition and seems clean burning and still smokes like real BP. I found that you do have to compress the powder in the bore pretty well. I loaded powder then used a flat faced jag and made 3 hard presses down on the powder. I could feel it compressing down. Then loaded my sabot/bullet combo. Gave another good press with that. Accuracy seemed to be there once I started using this loading sequence. Cleaned the same as usual.

How much of a difference in POI if you don't compress? I am thinking about a follow up shot.  Also, how does the granularity effect the consistancy in loads? I bought a couple jars but haven't had the chance to open one yet.  So far most reviews have been fairly positive.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

How much of a difference in POI if you don't compress? I am thinking about a follow up shot.  Also, how does the granularity effect the consistancy in loads? I bought a couple jars but haven't had the chance to open one yet.  So far most reviews have been fairly positive.

Do not open it until you are ready to use it - it really takes in moisture and will form clumps in the bottle..  It really reminds me of cat litter but, it does meter fairly well.  I have shot a couple of bottles of - actually shot one and 1/2 bottles - the last half I poured into the flower garden. 

It burns well and for me it was accurate but does not produce the velocity of T7.

You can see the clump forming in this bottle. It comes with moisture absorption packs in the powder,

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
Sabot loader is spot on about the powder clumping. I opened my powder flask and the powder was set hard in a large clump. Had to bang it on the carpeted floor a couple of times just to get it moving. My bottle has been opened for about 2 weeks and has been stored in a climate controlled heated room in my house. I dont think I will buy any more. 

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Just make sure humidity control is part of your climate control system.

I am new to the Alliant Blue MZ pellets and looking forward to testing them in damp weather this spring.

Offline Irishbackwoods

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Grouse.... it's what's for dinner
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »
I prefer the black mz myself. I've never had a misfire, or a hangfire in about 2 years out of the samecontainer. Cleans up well to. My   :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal