collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scouting for Fall  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Scouting for Fall
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:24:20 PM »
Hey Y'all,

I have been doing research for a year or two on how to find black bear, finally decided I just need to get out and give it a go. If you were looking through On X for huntable land that might have bear that you could go scout. What things would you look for?

1. How important is Elevation?
2. How important is Water nearby?
3. How far from roads should you be?
4. What kinds of sign should you look for?
5. Are bear territorial with each other like cougars? Or will they tolerate each other?
6. What type of terrain do they like? Do they like clear cuts?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Scouting for Fall
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:53:54 PM »
alot of bear hunting and tactics are specific to area you are hunting. There is to much diverse country in this state to say this will work here or there. Bears will tolerate each other on hillsides with good berries I have seen 8 bears on a single hillside, I have also seen several bears around apple and pear trees. What isnt tolerated is the dominate bear in the area and the others will move on.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »
alot of bear hunting and tactics are specific to area you are hunting. There is to much diverse country in this state to say this will work here or there. Bears will tolerate each other on hillsides with good berries I have seen 8 bears on a single hillside, I have also seen several bears around apple and pear trees. What isnt tolerated is the dominate bear in the area and the others will move on.

Makes sense, if I can I plan to hunt the west side. Do berries need full sun?

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 06:31:01 AM »
Theres bears throughout all of western wa. From the ocean beaches to the Crest trail. Food sources in different areas will vary but by the middle to end of August its berry time. Lowland berries include blackberries, both Himalayas and native ones. These are usually found in and around clear cuts and along logging roads. Bears LOVE blackberries. Walk any logging road when berries are in and you will find purple bear crap on the roads full of berry seeds. Other lowland berries are huckleberries, salmon berries and elderberries. They prefer part sun, part shade usually. Most likely to find them along the edge of new clear cuts.

As you move higher the food sources change. Huckleberries and blueberries becomes primary food sources that time of year. Once you reach 3-4000' elevation the berries are all over the place, you just need to find the hillsides the bears are using.

Depending on where you are,  I'd pick an area you can hunt frequently to maximize your chance of success. Bears are active throughout the day and evening in late August/September so going after work for a couple hours can be highly effective. I'd walk closed logging roads and glass clear cuts. Find the areas with the most bear crap and focus there.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »
Theres bears throughout all of western wa. From the ocean beaches to the Crest trail. Food sources in different areas will vary but by the middle to end of August its berry time. Lowland berries include blackberries, both Himalayas and native ones. These are usually found in and around clear cuts and along logging roads. Bears LOVE blackberries. Walk any logging road when berries are in and you will find purple bear crap on the roads full of berry seeds. Other lowland berries are huckleberries, salmon berries and elderberries. They prefer part sun, part shade usually. Most likely to find them along the edge of new clear cuts.

As you move higher the food sources change. Huckleberries and blueberries becomes primary food sources that time of year. Once you reach 3-4000' elevation the berries are all over the place, you just need to find the hillsides the bears are using.

Depending on where you are,  I'd pick an area you can hunt frequently to maximize your chance of success. Bears are active throughout the day and evening in late August/September so going after work for a couple hours can be highly effective. I'd walk closed logging roads and glass clear cuts. Find the areas with the most bear crap and focus there.

This helps a ton, thank you so much!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal