collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fiberglass Pit Blind  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Fiberglass Pit Blind
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
Looking to get 1 or 2 fiberglass pit blinds. All the ones I can find online are in the South and shipping costs as much as the blind. Is any one aware of anyone around WA producing these? Thanks. 
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Re: Fiberglass Pit Blind
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »
unused septic tank could be a possibility... I have heard used ones are cheaper.

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »
Yeah that could be an option to, get a used septic tank as the guest blind. I really like the look of something like this, and they are about the same price as a septic tank, but probably a little more user friendly and comfortable.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
Just remember to anchor them good or when the water comes or the field is flooded it will be floating on it's side in the spot.  Unless in a dry field.  Had some friend put in the pit blind and they pumped the field all night.  Next day the enter pit had popped out of the ground.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
Good advise, yeah that would be pretty dang frustrating. I have a couple of ecology blocks I was planning on using to keep them down.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:45:14 PM »
Some kind of bilge pump would probably be a good idea.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
Don't know start kind of pricing you're looking at, but have you considered looking at large stock tanks. They won't have built in seating, but they would be easier to source locally from a feed store.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
If there's a large building construction project going on, concrete forms are cheap or free. A couple of those might do the trick.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
 I installed a 1500 gal. modified septic tank for my blind setup. Had Berg Vault cast it for me. The baffle was formed out and the walls weren't poured as high as a normal tank. I lined the inside with treated plywood and 2x material, treated wood shelving, put in a 2x6 false floor, steel grating next then 3/4"rubber horse stall matting, 3 fully adjustable rolling, padded office chairs, 12v bilge pump, 3/4 angled roof w/rubber roll sheeting, 2"x4" wire attached all around the outside,2 hogwire drop down panels (all sharp points filed smooth), 4 full sized ecology blocks (one for each corner) w/ 3/8" anchoring cable. It took 2 seasons to decide on location and angle. First year installed waited a bit late and didn't get the anchors set. Popped outta the ground first big flood. It would settle back in it's hole when the water went down but at a slight list. The next summer pulled it back out, releveled and anchored properly. It's taken a couple of years for the Canary grass to really start blending it in. Hunts 2 and a dog comfortably. 3 and a dog  is a bit tight (because of the carpeted box the dog stands on so she can see out). Added a treated 2"x2" w/carpet stapled to it, set at an angle so the mice can get back out (fuzzy,floating,rotted,dead for weeks field mice are nasty to clean out). Geese and herons crapping on the roof all summer is also nasty. Ran water to blind after that mess. It's been worth it. Room for naps and cooking, outta the wind and rain.

Offline Ieatelk

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
I installed a 1500 gal. modified septic tank for my blind setup. Had Berg Vault cast it for me. The baffle was formed out and the walls weren't poured as high as a normal tank. I lined the inside with treated plywood and 2x material, treated wood shelving, put in a 2x6 false floor, steel grating next then 3/4"rubber horse stall matting, 3 fully adjustable rolling, padded office chairs, 12v bilge pump, 3/4 angled roof w/rubber roll sheeting, 2"x4" wire attached all around the outside,2 hogwire drop down panels (all sharp points filed smooth), 4 full sized ecology blocks (one for each corner) w/ 3/8" anchoring cable. It took 2 seasons to decide on location and angle. First year installed waited a bit late and didn't get the anchors set. Popped outta the ground first big flood. It would settle back in it's hole when the water went down but at a slight list. The next summer pulled it back out, releveled and anchored properly. It's taken a couple of years for the Canary grass to really start blending it in. Hunts 2 and a dog comfortably. 3 and a dog  is a bit tight (because of the carpeted box the dog stands on so she can see out). Added a treated 2"x2" w/carpet stapled to it, set at an angle so the mice can get back out (fuzzy,floating,rotted,dead for weeks field mice are nasty to clean out). Geese and herons crapping on the roof all summer is also nasty. Ran water to blind after that mess. It's been worth it. Room for naps and cooking, outta the wind and rain.
Any pictures? Sounds pretty cool!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
 I've got some on the computer. I'll see if I can educate myself about posting.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
 Here's some from my work computer. They are 2 years old. The canary grass is much more filled in now.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »
 Amazing....I resized a photo! They were 1.55mb each before.

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Blacktail, that looks pretty awesome!! So I’m assuming you had the tank fabricated with no top? And just drilled holes in the top corners to run the cable through?

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 07:26:30 PM »
 Thats correct, no top. I just notched the 2"x6" or 8" topcap ends to keep the cable in place.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:21:06 AM by Blacktail135 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU