collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New F 150 Diesels  (Read 14118 times)

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New F 150 Diesels
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »
Those ecoboost engines are impressive as heck.  I'm getting close to buying a new truck and am looking hard at the 2.7. I have to get psychologically past the sound of it, but I'm not at all concerned about it's performance.

:chuckle: I hear ya about the sound of it, I have a buddy who is getting some new exhaust put on his to make it sound a little "meaner" :chuckle:. My father in law (80 years old) is a retired Ford mechanic (45 yrs on the job), when I bought it and broke it in a little I took him out for a drive, we got out on a nice straight stretch with no traffic and had him floor it, it literally snaps you back into the seat like a rocket taking off, he was very impressed and said he had heard a lot of good things about "the little engine that could" from folks he knows that are still in the business. I got the 355 gears with the tow package,375lb torque, 325 horsepower and getting around 22MPH regular driving (around 12 to 14 towing).

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »
Car and driver did a 2.7 eco test for 1000 miles on a 2 wheel drive extended cab and had a “real world” 17 mpg daily driving. 25% less then advertised by Ford.
Has a decent payload capability though.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »
My 3.5 averages 19.5 on the screen everyday driving. Took it loaded (no trailer) to Wyoming and Colorado this fall and we averaged 16.5-17 on those trips with decent amount of woods driving and 4x4 in snow and cruise set at 85+ there and back.

Drive it friendly and it sips gas. Step on it and it uses more. The sport mode button is pretty fun too.  :chuckle:

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
Just some input for you jackelope, I bought a brand new 2.7 ecoboost 2 years ago and love it, I towed a 6,000lb trailer all over the west last summer. One trip was to Yellowstone and Jackson hole, went over a lot of passes at 60mph plus, some relatives were with us both pulling their trailers with Dodge trucks(one was a Hemi and the other a diesel), the 2.7 with the tow package out performed both :tup:

Outperformed at Dodge diesel??

In what way?

Pulling the passes, there is a ton of youtube videos from all the truck magazines, check out the one where they have the 2.7 eco. pulling a 7,000 lb trailer over the "Gauntlet" in Colorado, those twin turbos are like a rocket when you put your foot into it.

Wow. Those vids are no joke.  I never would have thought they would have that much capability.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
My 3.5 averages 19.5 on the screen everyday driving. Took it loaded (no trailer) to Wyoming and Colorado this fall and we averaged 16.5-17 on those trips with decent amount of woods driving and 4x4 in snow and cruise set at 85+ there and back.

Drive it friendly and it sips gas. Step on it and it uses more. The sport mode button is pretty fun too.  :chuckle:

If you hear the turbos spooling up, you’re trying too hard :chuckle:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »
Car and driver did a 2.7 eco test for 1000 miles on a 2 wheel drive extended cab and had a “real world” 17 mpg daily driving. 25% less then advertised by Ford.
Has a decent payload capability though.

Published MPG estimates are pretty much for the birds. They’re estimates based on perfect world scenarios. No stop and go traffic. No hills. No red light every 2 blocks. Those ecoboosts do pretty good as long as you keep your foot out of them. Once the turbos kick in, kiss your gas mileage bye bye.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
Just some input for you jackelope, I bought a brand new 2.7 ecoboost 2 years ago and love it, I towed a 6,000lb trailer all over the west last summer. One trip was to Yellowstone and Jackson hole, went over a lot of passes at 60mph plus, some relatives were with us both pulling their trailers with Dodge trucks(one was a Hemi and the other a diesel), the 2.7 with the tow package out performed both :tup:

In what way?

Pulling the passes, there is a ton of youtube videos from all the truck magazines, check out the one where they have the 2.7 eco. pulling a 7,000 lb trailer over the "Gauntlet" in Colorado, those twin turbos are like a rocket when you put your foot into it.

Wow. Those vids are no joke.  I never would have thought they would have that much capability.

:tup: Yes pretty impressive. Like others have said when those turbos kick in the mileage does suffer. Everyday driving for me I average about 22, when pulling the trailer its half that, did you watch some of the drag strip tests they did with the 2.7L VS  the v-8 dodge and Chevys, once again, very impressive for a 2.7L V-6

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »

If you hear the turbos spooling up, you’re trying too hard :chuckle:
but it sounds so dang cool!  8)

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
I had a 2015 F150 screw with the 3.5 ecoboost. It had plenty of power towing, but it was too light of a rig for my trailer. When I leveled it and put 35” tires on it, with rear airbags, it did a lot better. Surprisingly, my mileage was still around 16 not towing. When I towed the mileage dropped to 7 mpg... it sucked, literally. Ended up trading it in on a 2016 F250. That 6.7 is amazing, even on 37” tires that truck tows like a champ and gets decent mileage. I just learned the hard way that because it can do it, doesn’t mean you should do it :) towing capacity that is. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:26 AM »
I get better mileage than the numbers posted here, and that’s with a crew cab 2500 Duramax.   I guess I’m not seeing what is so appealing about them?  Maybe a little cheaper than a real diesel, but you can’t tow much and get crappy mileage by the sounds.

I’ve heard a lot of guys go back and trade up to a 3/4 ton after realizing the shortcomings.  This was from a local dealer.  Only exception being the guys that don’t use their trucks for towing and just like having the diesel instead of the Prius they drove around for years.   Lol

Offline The Real Sisu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
I'm happy with my 2006 5.9 Dodge Cummins but living in Juneau I've amassed 48K miles so it's not even broken in. I'm thinking of giving it to my son for his construction business on the Big Island buying a gas rig than can tow my 6200 lbs of boat weight to the launch and back. One launch is 10 minutes the other is a long way out 30minutes 😂😂😂
Told my son when he's ready he gets the payments on my new used rig so he can have the other.

After reading about all the new diesels I'll never buy one. The 06 is great. All I add is a lubricant anti jell to the fuel.

Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »
I'm happy with my 2006 5.9 Dodge Cummins but living in Juneau I've amassed 48K miles so it's not even broken in. I'm thinking of giving it to my son for his construction business on the Big Island buying a gas rig than can tow my 6200 lbs of boat weight to the launch and back. One launch is 10 minutes the other is a long way out 30minutes 😂😂😂
Told my son when he's ready he gets the payments on my new used rig so he can have the other.

After reading about all the new diesels I'll never buy one. The 06 is great. All I add is a lubricant anti jell to the fuel.

That rig is one of the last good ones your son would be a fool not to take you up on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
I get better mileage than the numbers posted here, and that’s with a crew cab 2500 Duramax.   I guess I’m not seeing what is so appealing about them?  Maybe a little cheaper than a real diesel, but you can’t tow much and get crappy mileage by the sounds.

I’ve heard a lot of guys go back and trade up to a 3/4 ton after realizing the shortcomings.  This was from a local dealer.  Only exception being the guys that don’t use their trucks for towing and just like having the diesel instead of the Prius they drove around for years.   Lol

The new diesel F150 mpg's?
You're not saying you're getting over 30mpg's with your truck are you?
The other ones we've been talking about are the gas F150 ecoboost for the most part.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »

The new diesel F150 mpg's?
You're not saying you're getting over 30mpg's with your truck are you?
The other ones we've been talking about are the gas F150 ecoboost for the most part.

Misunderstanding on my part I thought they were giving mpgs for the diesel.  Just saw the title and didn’t pay much attention.

I can average 22 - 25 hwy here in CO.  On the way to work close to 25, on the way home closer to 22.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »

In what way?

Yeah the Eco is a monster.  I get plenty of wide eyed, Holly S comments from people with my car (2013 Taurus SHO with 3.5Eco).  The transverse motor is a little different, but tech is the same.  Most people cannot grasp just how amazing these Eco's are in terms of torque and pulling power the 2.7ecos are good, the 3.5's are even better based on what I have seen.  Not that they are drag vehicles or it relates directly to towing, but there are guys around the country running 11sec 1/4 with F150 3.5eco supercrew daily driver rigs, not bad for a 3.5L gas motor in a big truck and that is heavily due to the extreme torque these motors throw out from early in the RPM curve.

As jkthomps mentioned though, there is more to towing that just sheer power, you want a rig that has the mass to counter and control whatever trailer you are pulling.  .

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]