collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: EPIC: is the only word  (Read 8186 times)

Offline LittleJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
EPIC: is the only word
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »
This is a long long story and season (9 elk harvested)

Hey Guys
Been a while since I've posted anything. Thought I'd share an amazing season with you guys and gals. The 2017 Montana summer was record breaking dry. Made for a tough summer. We had 3 major fires burning in our county. As a LEO that meant a ton of overtime and no scouting. We had hundreds of homes evacuated and unfortunately a few homes were lost to fires. With just a couple weeks before archery season we had to be evacuated from our home as well. It was a stressful situation for out family. I have to thank an amazing group of friends and church family that made it so much easier. The wife and kids lived in our RV for a couple weeks while I pretty much worked around the clock. Hunting was the last thing on my mind for sure. The fire was less than 3/4 of a mile from our home. I can't say thank you enough to all the fire fighters. Met some amazing men and women from all over the US.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:33:34 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
Re: EPIC: is the only word
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »
fire

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Sounds like your family and home made it out safely. Glad to hear it.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
Glad to hear all is well John.  I suspect there is more coming on this story

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
We made it back in our home first week of Sept. Needless to say I was ready for a day off and some backcountry therapy. Sept 13th I headed out for my first day in the hills. Wasn't expecting much action. I was excited to be in the mountains. Shortly after daylight I was 3 miles in and 2500' up. I heard my first bugle of 17' and told myself that made my day if I heard nothing else I was happy.
By noon I was on top of my familiar ridge. I heard another bugle that sounded too small to trop 1000' to go after. A short time later I heard a raspy bugle on the ridge across from me. I know better than to trop in this drainage, and have done it multiple times before and have ALWAYS regretted it and swear to never di it again. Well all you elk hunters know what I did!! I dropped in. :}
I started working the bull and he got really fired up. He dropped in as well and was working his way down to the bottom across from me. We were on a crash course at the creek bottom. He came to the creek and I could hear him walking back and forth destroying whatever was in his way. I never did get eyes on him, I'm guessing he was at 60 yds. The NW MT brush isn't too different than Western WA. He lost interest and bugled his way back up the ridge where he had come from. I was thankful for such an encounter for the first day out. By now its 2pm and hot. I am ready for a mountain nap for sure. I climbed up the the same hill the bull was on and circled 500 yds or so down wind. I found a flat spot and passed out.
       About an hours later I heard his familiar bugle on the ridge above me about 500 yds away. He was bugling on his own and seemed to be working down the ridge. I gained a couple hundred vert feet and let out some soft cow calls. I could tell right away he was coming and coming fast. I set up as best I could in the jungle I was in. He was screaming and breaking brush all the way. I came to full draw and he stepped out at 15 yds. He was quarter to me and had some brush in the way. After 30 seconds or so he got nervous and walked off away from me. He never did spook and just walked up the ridge away from me.
I couldn't believe it. I had called in the same bull twice in 2 hours mid day in the heat on my first day. He was a dark horned 6x6 I was guessing he was 310-320" not that I care :}
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:03:37 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
Sounds like a busy start to the year
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
I sat in awe for a few minutes and contemplated my next move. I had my gear on my back to spend the night, but wasn't sure if I was going to or not. I had cell service and had been giving my hunting buddies the play by play when I could. I had to work a night shift at 5pm the next day and knew if I killed one this late in the day I was going to need the day off. My hunting partner happens to write my schedule :}, so I got the day off from him by txt if I needed it.
I worked my way up the ridge in the dark timber and got into a ton of sign in some old spotty burns. I was hoping to run into one of the other bulls I had heard from earlier in the day.
I was about 3 hours from the truck with a hour of light left. I could walk out easy enough or spend the night?
Just then I heard a familiar bugle from the ridge above me. I sounded like the same bull from the previous 2 encounters. I decided to go for broke and get stupid aggressive with him. My thought was I will probably screw this up and get out of here. I have never got this aggressive with a bull. I am a get close and cow call them in kind of a guy.
The next time he bugled on his own I cut him off with a loud high pitched bugle. By the way I am using Phelps AMP reeds. They rock !!!!! If your not using them your missing out.
He answered immediately and started getting worked up. He was still 300 yds out so I nocked an arrow and went right at him. Every time he bugled I'd cut him off. I cut the distance in a hurry and was getting close. I could tell he was less than 100yds and I needed to slow down so I would blow him out. I could hear him raking a tree about 80 yds. I crept closer and used his noise to cover my steps.
I had 20 min of light left and needed it to happen. The next time he bugled I cut him off as loud and raspy as I could. I heard him break loose and started coming in. I spotted him at 60 yds. He was coming in above me and was going to have to come a long way to get to a broad side shooting lane. I found a lane and got my feet right and waited. He never broke stride all the way. As his nose came into my shooting late I got ready to stop him, but he stopped on his own right in my lane. I guessed him at 40 yds and later ranged it at 39. I saw my arrow fly through his side and he jumped forward. I cow called softly as he went out of sight after only going 10 yds over a little ridge. I immediately heard a crash followed by a couple loud moans. I crumpled to the ground in a heap, shaking uncontrollably. Most of you are very familiar with the thoughts, emotions, and feelings that I was experiencing , so I won't waste words trying to describe the indescribable.

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
I sat for a while Thanking the Lord for the opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:13:45 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »
Great story. What a hunt. :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
I found my arrow buried in a dead fall 10 yds past the bull
It was almost dark when I got to him
The Bull had only gone 30 yds
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:29:33 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
Great bull and story :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
Can some rotate ?

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »
 :tup:
Go hawks

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
I sent out a few txt to my wife and buddies and got to work. I had the Bull worked up and hanging by 1030 pm and made it to the truck by 1 am.
My besty had volunteered to take the day off and help me with the horses and the pack out.
I woke up to the sound of my wife and friend talking in my kitchen. I had over slept after getting home at 4 am. :}
Good hunting partners are hard to find and I have hit the jack pot on a few.
We loaded up the horses and were able to walk them right to the bull. Horses are not for everyone, but they are for me !!!!
We were back home before dark with the meat in the cooler !!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]