collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WYOMING’S LICENSE FEE CHANGES FOR 2018  (Read 6608 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: WYOMING’S LICENSE FEE CHANGES FOR 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »
Non residents can hunt Wyoming wilderness, just can't hunt big game.

As far as the increase in prices, Wyoming is still in line with other western states. Oregon is $738 for NR elk, Wyoming is $707.

Look at deer licenses, Montana is $602, Wyoming is $389.

I don't think people are going to stop hunting Wyoming due to the small increases in license fees. The biggest cost for most people is fuel to get there and back.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
Wonder how long it’s going to take for a class action lawsuit to happen because of price gouging and limiting access to public property for hunting. By definition, that is exactly what is going on!
Don’t hold your breath. We all have access to public land. That even includes Wyoming wilderness. But wildlife is the property of the state entrusted by the federal government to manage. If any management regulation was going to be the topic of a lawsuit it would likely be the one that denues non residents access to Wyoming wilderness specifically for the purpose of hunting. You can hike camp and even fish there but no hunting. I find that to be unconstitutional.
That’s exactly what I’m saying!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
Non residents can hunt Wyoming wilderness, just can't hunt big game.

As far as the increase in prices, Wyoming is still in line with other western states. Oregon is $738 for NR elk, Wyoming is $707.

Look at deer licenses, Montana is $602, Wyoming is $389.

I don't think people are going to stop hunting Wyoming due to the small increases in license fees. The biggest cost for most people is fuel to get there and back.
I'm in agreement with this 100%, everybody has this sky is falling mentality because they raised what were probably some of the lowest nonresident prices in the west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
With little to no points that increase in Special elk is killing me. I don’t have deep pockets but I do have some screwed up priorities in life so I’ll be applying no matter what. You only live once! Thanks for the very informative and thorough update Bob.
Why not just wait your turn and draw regular elk instead, if you want to jump the line(all that "special" elk does for you) then I guess you have to pay to play

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
I didn’t notice it on the list but did the cost of just buying a point go up also? 

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
I didn’t notice it on the list but did the cost of just buying a point go up also?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Apply-or-Buy/License-Fee-List#preferencepoints
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Apply-or-Buy/License-Fee-List#preferencepoints

Looks like it went up a dollar or two

while the price increase sucks, it still doesn't personally price me out of wyoming as now, like others stated, closer to other states.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
With little to no points that increase in Special elk is killing me. I don’t have deep pockets but I do have some screwed up priorities in life so I’ll be applying no matter what. You only live once! Thanks for the very informative and thorough update Bob.
Why not just wait your turn and draw regular elk instead, if you want to jump the line(all that "special" elk does for you) then I guess you have to pay to play

Because like I said... you only live once. I hunt elk every year. I live on elk meat. I feed my soul on elk hunting. Can’t skip feeding yourself for a year. If I don’t draw I can fall back on Montana but my preference is the Cowboy State.  So paying to play is my choice. You couldn’t pay me$1300 to stay home!!!
Pass It On!

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »

Because like I said... you only live once. I hunt elk every year. I live on elk meat. I feed my soul on elk hunting. Can’t skip feeding yourself for a year. If I don’t draw I can fall back on Montana but my preference is the Cowboy State.  So paying to play is my choice. You couldn’t pay me$1300 to stay home!!!
Why not Idaho, no draws, otc tags, and about 1/2 the price of Montana or wyoming. I understand the only live once mentality but I also can't stomach paying that price to hunt elk, granted I am an Idaho resident so don't need to go to wyoming to elk hunt each year.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »
There's elks in Idaho? Where? Specifically.

YOLO!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »
There's elks in Idaho? Where? Specifically.

YOLO!!

NOPE! no elk in Idaho!!!
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
To answer your question: Because nothing beats knowing your hunting area in detail. I’ve hunted the Montana/Idaho border for 30+ years and outfitted there for 13. Knowing the seasonal movements of the elk in an area is priceless too. That’s why they say that 10% of hunters kill 90% of the elk. The same goes for my Wyoming spits. They are home. You only live once but you can’t hunt them all! Oh and I have family and friends in both MT and WY too. And.... since I know they have me by the family jewels I started a side business specifically to pay for my elk hunting addiction. Do I like paying those prices though? He11 no!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:59:44 AM by Indian Summer »
Pass It On!

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
I cant believe that I am saying this, but I don't mind the increase in price.  No!!!!  I'm not rich!  But I am 52 years old.  It is much more important to get the opportunity to hunt as much as I can.  With the increase, tags that take me every other year to draw might now be possible to get every year.  Before Montana raised their costs a few years ago, I could draw a general deer licences every other year or every third year.  Since the increase, I have been able to hunt every year.  At 52, I don't know how many years I got left.  I'm healthy and able now but when I'm 60 or 70, who knows???  Randy Newberg said something that will never leave my mind, "Hunt as much as you can and as often as you can.  Because you will run out of health long before you will run out of money."  Every year I don't draw a tag to hunt is one less year that I will be able to hunt and realistically speaking, I have somewhere around 5-10 years to hunt the way I do now, and 10 more after that but at a much slower speed.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
Amen Dvolmer. I’m 52 as well and I need tomhunt elk every year. Imagine how bad things would be if elk tags were a hundred bucks!  :yike:
Pass It On!

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
Never hunted out of state but would like to some day (soon!). What's the difference between special draw and draw? Do I even need to draw or can I just buy an OTC?

Sorry for the newbish questino.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull