collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SCI Washington Report - Zinke Changes Incite Criticism  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Hovel Downs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Re: SCI Washington Report - Zinke Changes Incite Criticism
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
Heck, Obama created monuments under DOI that allowed hunting.
That is a disingenuous statement.  First of all hunting was allowed on all of the Federal lands  before the creation of the monuments. What you failed to say was that Monuments were created that ended hunting
www.outdoornewsservice.com/single-post/2017/01/01/National-Park-Service-decides-to-ban-hunting-in-Castle-Mountains-Monument
  Hunting is now banned in the new 30,000-acre Castle Mountains National Monument, according to the National Park Service, which will be managing the new monument. The monument was created early in 2016 by President Barack Obama via proclamation.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJA-Hunting-August-2016.pdf   No hunting or
trapping is permitted inside Castle Mountains National Monument.

Offline Hovel Downs

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
BTW That Obama era rule was overturned by Zinke and Trump administration

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
That is a disingenuous statement.  First of all hunting was allowed on all of the Federal lands  before the creation of the monuments. What you failed to say was that Monuments were created that ended hunting
www.outdoornewsservice.com/single-post/2017/01/01/National-Park-Service-decides-to-ban-hunting-in-Castle-Mountains-Monument
  Hunting is now banned in the new 30,000-acre Castle Mountains National Monument, according to the National Park Service, which will be managing the new monument. The monument was created early in 2016 by President Barack Obama via proclamation.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJA-Hunting-August-2016.pdf   No hunting or
I'll admit I did not know that about Castle Mountains. I was under the impression since they were operating under Mojave National Preserve they would allow hunting.

Most NPS monuments do not allow hunting. National Monuments under BLM/USFS/USFWS do allow hunting. If you look at the past 30 years of presidential monuments those that go to the NPS are mainly small, historical sites, some even in cities. Those that go to BLM/USFS/USFWS are larger (huntable)

Offline olyguy79

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »

Castle Mtns is under the NPS which of course most areas are closed to hunting.

What about Katadhin Woods & Waters Monument in Maine which Obama created? It was a donation to the feds where the previous owner was actually slowly limiting access in general, now it is open to access and hunt in most areas.

Offline Hovel Downs

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
Sorry for the confusion,
Not sure if this was directed at me but I didn't say anything about monuments other than his travel.
this
Getting rid of National Monuments doesn't take them out of Federal control.  They are still public lands managed by the US Forest Service or BLM, but I'm sure you know that.
referred to this erroneous statement
"Create a conservation stewardship legacy, second only to Teddy Roosevelt" .... by getting rid of national monuments, I am pretty sure Teddy saved lands, not took them out of federal control like he has done so far.

Offline Hovel Downs

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
What about Katadhin Woods & Waters Monument in Maine which Obama created? It was a donation to the feds where the previous owner was actually slowly limiting access in general, now it is open to access and hunt in most areas.

I believe you answered your own question there.  It wasn't a change in Federal land-land status.  This thread isn't about land donated to the Federal Government.

Castle Mtns is under the NPS which of course most areas are closed to hunting.
The difference is Castle Mt is BLM land that allowed hunting (and does again now)administered by the Park Service.  It is not Park Service land.  Key distinction.  Only Congress can change the land status, monuments are a layer of management

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal