collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heads up, Incoming BAD legislation, rattle the cages POLITELY in Olympia  (Read 5635 times)

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
Senate Bill 5444, sponsored by Senator David Frockt (D-46) would impose a registration-licensing system on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms (Rifles AND PISTOLS) and standard-capacity ammunition magazines that bill proponents label as “assault weapons” and “large-capacity magazines” (LCM).  Every person who possesses, transports, manufactures, purchases or sells a so-called “assault weapon” or LCM must have an annual state-issued license, with an updated license required every time there is a change in possession of the gun or magazine. The licensing requirement has a delay period (until 2020) before it applies to persons who currently possess such items, but these persons would be prohibited from selling or transferring any gun or magazine designated by this bill to anyone other than a licensed dealer, a gunsmith, or to law enforcement for permanent relinquishment.  SB 5444 also mandates that relinquished guns and magazines “must be destroyed.”

Senate Bill 5463, sponsored by Senator Guy Palumbo (D-1), is vaguely written legislation that would require individuals to lock up firearms or potentially face Class C Felony charges. This intrusive government legislation invades people’s homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up.

Senate Bill 5992, sponsored by Senator Kevin Van De Wege (D-24) mirrors federal legislation proposed by anti-gun California U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).  This bill would make it a crime to knowingly possess a firearm accessory or any other device, part or combination of parts that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic firearm.  The broad and overreaching provisions in SB 5992 could potentially criminalize firearm modifications such as competition triggers, muzzle brakes, and ergonomic changes that are commonly done by law-abiding gun owners to make their firearms more suitable for self-defense, competition, hunting, or even overcoming disability.

Senate Bill 6049, sponsored by Senator Frockt, is yet another bill targeting so-called “Large Capacity Magazines” and would prohibit the possession of ammunition magazines holding ten or more rounds, with limited exceptions.  Those allowed to continue possession of “Large Capacity Magazines” within the limited exceptions would be required to lock up their ammunition magazine or face criminal charges.

Senate Bill 6146, sponsored by Senator Rebecca Saldaña (D-37), would abolish Washington’s decades old state firearm preemption statute.  The state preemption statute, which passed in 1983, helps keep firearm and ammunition laws consistent throughout Washington by establishing that the State Legislature has full authority to regulate and create laws pertaining to firearms and ammunition.  These statutes help prevent a confusing patchwork of gun control laws which make it difficult for gun owners to ensure that they are following the law.  Further, Second Amendment rights are guaranteed to all citizens, regardless of where they reside.  State preemption statutes help protect against the infringement of rights of citizens who live in localities controlled by anti-gun elected officials.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:09:44 PM by woodswalker »
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Heads up, Incoming BAD legislation, rattle the cages POLITELY in Olympia
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
Thanks woodswalker for the concise heads up on these! :tup:
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
 :nono:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
The new majority is not going to waste any time changing Washington to meet their vision!  :bash:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
Call, write, politely implore your legislators to NOT DO THIS.

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1833
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
where's the one that mandates storage of all firearms or become a class c felon? that's the scary one and the one most should be against.
Whether or not people should is mute it's forcing people to do something or become a felon that's the issue.
and what with the 4th amendment being so watered down you can't count on that protection anymore.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
where's the one that mandates storage of all firearms or become a class c felon? that's the scary one and the one most should be against.
Whether or not people should is mute it's forcing people to do something or become a felon that's the issue.
and what with the 4th amendment being so watered down you can't count on that protection anymore.

Looks like it's the 2nd one he listed.  Bill 5463

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »

Looks like it's the 2nd one he listed.  Bill 5463
Not highlighted so missed it.
still I think that's the most scariest one there.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:33:37 PM »
Article I, section 7 of the Washington Constitution provides that “No person shall be disturbed in his private affairs, or his home invaded, without authority of law.” ... The second right to privacy granted by Washington's Constitution is the right to personal autonomy.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:54:35 PM »
The politicians do not need to be rattled politely in matters you dislike. Go at them full force. They work for the people, not the other way around.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
If these bills succeed to the governor to sign into law is the state second amendment Foundation or NRA going to file injunction and lawsuits against governor and/or AG?

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
The politicians do not need to be rattled politely in matters you dislike. Go at them full force. They work for the people, not the other way around.

Exactly. No need to be polite

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »

Exactly. No need to be polite

Being polite has ruined this country....It needs to be turned around, NOW ! The Obama admin has screwed this country big time, as has Inslee in Washingtonfornia.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
There might not be enough support for the 5 bills after all.

http://tdn.com/news/local/takko-and-blake-could-scuttle-raft-of-gun-control-bills/article_f46063f4-f0e8-576a-928d-d32ba6060cfd.html

State Sen. Dean Takko (D-Longview) said Monday that he’s not inclined to vote for five different proposed gun control bills, potentially dooming their chances of passage in the closely divided Senate.

The bills call for a range of changes, including banning high-capacity magazines and the sale of “bump stocks” — a trigger-modification device used in the deadly Oct. 1 Las Vegas shooting.

With Democrats clinging to a one-vote majority in the Senate, Takko’s vote could be decisive on any gun control legislation.

Nearly 1,000 people flooded into the State Capitol building Monday to attend a Senate Law and Justice Committee hearing on the proposed measures, including National Rifle Association members and a Washington couple who survived last year’s Vegas shooting.

Takko said he’s also been inundated with calls from 19th District residents urging him to vote against the bills.

“I also have to represent the district, and I can tell you I’m getting far more calls from constituents telling me vote no rather than vote yes,” he said Monday in a phone interview. “There’s a lot of people in the district that have guns and love to hunt and shoot,” he said. “It’s a big issue.”

Takko said he’s not intimately familiar with all five bills but would probably need to see changes before supporting them.

“I’d have a hard time on most of them because I don’t really think they’re going to do much” to stop gun violence, he said Monday in an interview.

Senate Bill 5992 — the bump stock bill — has received the most attention so far, but Takko said the bill’s language is too broad for his liking.

The bill defines trigger modification devices as “any part or combination of parts designed or intended to accelerate the rate of fire of a firearm.”

(Bump stocks are devices that use the recoil of a semi-automatic firearm to fire shots in rapid succession, effectively turning semi-automatics into machine guns.)

The bill would prohibit selling, possessing or repairing “any trigger modification devices” starting July 1, 2019.

“You can pull in a lot of modifications that have nothing to do with the bump stock issue,” Takko said of the bill. “I’m willing to look at it, and if someone can come up with some better language, I could most likely go there,” he added.

But 19th District Rep. Brian Blake (D-Aberdeen) — a longtime National Rifle Association member — said that while a bump stock bill may have a chance in the Senate, he’s unlikely to support a bump stock ban in the House. Democrats control a narrow two-vote majority in the lower chamber.

“I just don’t believe it will be effective,” Blake said in an interview. “I think a seventh grader could make a bump stock in an afternoon if they had access to a shop.”

Blake said he thinks it’s even less likely for the rest of the proposed gun control bills to pass.

“I don’t think there will be the votes for the other bills,” he said.

However, both Southwest Washington Democrats have signaled they are open to less restrictive gun legislation.

Takko said he believes legislators should be focusing on the mental health aspect of gun control. He’s signed onto a bill sponsored by freshman state Sen. Manka Dhingra (D-Redmond), a former King County prosecutor, that would make it easier for courts to bar criminal defendants with a history of violence from possessing firearms.

Takko also has a bill that would make concealed weapons permits exempt from public records, saying he wants to prevent gun owners from becoming targets of thieves.

Blake sponsored a bill signed into law last year that requires firearm dealers to notify the Washington State Patrol when a person who previously failed a state or federal background check tries to purchase a gun.

“Those are the kind of bills that I have an interest in,” he said.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Today at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Today at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Today at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Today at 08:06:13 PM]