collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: an additional 22-250 load question  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
an additional 22-250 load question
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
In my last question thread "need some stability", I was asking about 60 grain Sierras stabilizing in 22-250. Anyway, I loaded some Sierra 52 gr hpbt's and shot them yesterday using IMR 4895 as the powder. I started in the middle of the load chart and shot 5 groups going up about .5 at a time until the last group was the Sierra recommended max of 35.3.  No pressure signs at max and that was the only thing close to a decent group at an inch and a half at 100 yards. It was still a pretty open group. Some of it was me and some was the rain. I'm just wondering what other guys do at this point in trying a bullet. This is a tricky question I think because no one wants to say exceed max load or whatever. But with the Hodgdon Manual they have max at 37 grains but using the Hdy A max bullet. Or do you guys switch powders? I have some 4064. I was thinking about bumping it up .1 for each additional group; 35.4, 35.5 etc. and looking for pressure signs while seeing what the groups are doing. Thoughts?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: an additional 22-250 load question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
I would play with the seating depth at that point.  Do you have a chronograph?  If not, i would highly recommend one.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
I would play with the seating depth at that point.  Do you have a chronograph?  If not, i would highly recommend one.
I was thinking about the seating depth also. No I don't have a chronograph. It's on my list.Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:29:49 PM by Eric M »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
I'll be that guy. I load till my gun says hot load. I also never use book seating depth. Instead of .5 increments I use 1% increments so for that load it would be .3   
Check for pressure signs after every shot. Most Manuela are quite conservative with pressure.   Watch for flattening of primers, cratering and ejector marks. Hard bolt lift is too far!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
I'll be that guy. I load till my gun says hot load. I also never use book seating depth. Instead of .5 increments I use 1% increments so for that load it would be .3   
Check for pressure signs after every shot. Most Manuela are quite conservative with pressure.   Watch for flattening of primers, cratering and ejector marks. Hard bolt lift is too far!
Thanks. Got a couple load suggestions similar to what u are saying. I'm sure some of those loads in the manual are lawyer loads.

Offline slm9s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:57:46 PM »
An inch and a half at 100 yds is a poor group for a 22-250.  If that was my best group of a ladder, I would change bullet/powder/whatever.  If that's the bullet you want to run, I would change powders.

This is assuming its a decent rifle with a scope capable of shooting sub-moa groups...

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
Thanks. Got a couple load suggestions similar to what u are saying. I'm sure some of those loads in the manual are lawyer loads.
not only that but those loads are for making ammo to work in any rifle. Your making a custom load for that rifle. It will tell you when enough is enough if you know how to listen.   
A tip I learned for shooting groups. Use the smallest point of aim you can use.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »
not only that but those loads are for making ammo to work in any rifle. Your making a custom load for that rifle. It will tell you when enough is enough if you know how to listen.   

The majority of time I use a bullet hole at 100 and 200 yards for my hold point.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »

The majority of time I use a bullet hole at 100 and 200 yards for my hold point.
I finally got a scope that is capable of that.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »
Here's one for you:  CCI LR primer, Winchester case, 34.5 grains of 4064 and a 52 HPBT (either Sierra or Nosler).   I don't remember how long ago I shot this load as I switched to a ball powder later on.  This isn't a hot load by any means, it was just a good grouping one for me and on probably the low pressure accuracy node.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
Here's one for you:  CCI LR primer, Winchester case, 34.5 grains of 4064 and a 52 HPBT (either Sierra or Nosler).   I don't remember how long ago I shot this load as I switched to a ball powder later on.  This isn't a hot load by any means, it was just a good grouping one for me and on probably the low pressure accuracy node.
Thanks I'll give it a try. I have all that ready to go.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]