collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scouting a new trapline  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Scouting a new trapline
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:38 AM »
Interesting, I would have thought people look for sign then set up nearby but you just set on areas that look good. hmm

How long to you soak a cage that doesn't produce before you move it to a new area even if it looked good?

Where I am I seldom get snow so it is hard to see sign. Because of this I am usually setting on my idea of good habitat along with features I consider catty.
I have fallen into the habit of giving a line 2 weeks, sometimes a few days longer and then pulling. Weather can be factor in how long I leave sets out. I do not believe nice weather or cold and clear is the best for catching cats. I like stormy miserable weather. If it has been nice out I may extend the time a set is out by a couple days.
Other things make me move. If I have civits show up IMO it s best to pull. I have rarely caught cats after civits have started working a set. When I was using foot traps if I caught a kitten or a female I left the set in. If I caught a tom I moved on. With cages I had more of a chance to release stuff so I have been releasing the females and kittens and resetting but pulling when a tom gets caught.
I am kind of rethinking that though. As I lose access to more areas it leaves a lot of area for refuge and maybe I might take the females. As a for instance I caught a female near a gate recently and decided to keep her. Approximately 25,000 acres behind that gate I can't get too so my thinking is I can't hurt the population.
Hanging bait is a good practice for those who have the bait to spare but some of us do not have much to spare. If you are going to hang some bait it needs to be something a cat cannot eat up completely at one setting. Half a beaver or smaller if it is frozen. If you don't have much bait I think it is better to use it in the trap and make the catch the first time they show. Often a cat will completely eat a small bait and it gives them no reason to return.
I seldom use lure because with the warmth we have bait spoils fast and puts out quite an odor. If I was on the drier and colder east side I would add a LD call lure to my sets.
All my experience has been along the coast so I believe a lot of my thinking might change if I was plopped down on the east side or even higher up in the Cascades.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
Interesting, I would have thought people look for sign then set up nearby but you just set on areas that look good. hmm

How long to you soak a cage that doesn't produce before you move it to a new area even if it looked good?

Where I am I seldom get snow so it is hard to see sign. Because of this I am usually setting on my idea of good habitat along with features I consider catty.
I have fallen into the habit of giving a line 2 weeks, sometimes a few days longer and then pulling. Weather can be factor in how long I leave sets out. I do not believe nice weather or cold and clear is the best for catching cats. I like stormy miserable weather. If it has been nice out I may extend the time a set is out by a couple days.
Other things make me move. If I have civits show up IMO it s best to pull. I have rarely caught cats after civits have started working a set. When I was using foot traps if I caught a kitten or a female I left the set in. If I caught a tom I moved on. With cages I had more of a chance to release stuff so I have been releasing the females and kittens and resetting but pulling when a tom gets caught.
I am kind of rethinking that though. As I lose access to more areas it leaves a lot of area for refuge and maybe I might take the females. As a for instance I caught a female near a gate recently and decided to keep her. Approximately 25,000 acres behind that gate I can't get too so my thinking is I can't hurt the population.
Hanging bait is a good practice for those who have the bait to spare but some of us do not have much to spare. If you are going to hang some bait it needs to be something a cat cannot eat up completely at one setting. Half a beaver or smaller if it is frozen. If you don't have much bait I think it is better to use it in the trap and make the catch the first time they show. Often a cat will completely eat a small bait and it gives them no reason to return.
I seldom use lure because with the warmth we have bait spoils fast and puts out quite an odor. If I was on the drier and colder east side I would add a LD call lure to my sets.
All my experience has been along the coast so I believe a lot of my thinking might change if I was plopped down on the east side or even higher up in the Cascades.

I completely agree with what you said! There is so much country in my area now that is closed from 12/1-3/31 for "Winter Range" I dont think I can hardly impact the population. Our local biologist keeps thanking us for taking cats. The average temps on my line dont go above freezing all season so a good LD lure really helps in my area. I don't hang baits for couple reasons. One I dont have enough, two I like to get them the first time they come in. I've had cats on many occasions hit my bait once and move on never to come back, especially in February with toms while their looking for females.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
I agree with both I hang pre baits the month  before I start trapping once cages are out pre baiting stops

Offline Bigjon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »
Jakeland

What would you recommend is the best cat lure for Washington state?  Do you also recommend this time of year when this weather has been so warm and now the cats are mating to put out bobcat piss or gland?  Can you give me maybe an example of a set using the above and some beaver meat that would be most productive?  Thank  you Jake.

Jon

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »

So once you catch a tom in a spot do you wait until the following year to put a set back in that area?

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »
I sent you a PM  John

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:02 PM »

So once you catch a tom in a spot do you wait until the following year to put a set back in that area?
This practice depends a lot on the numbers of cats in your area. In the past there were more cats here. Since the mountain beaver population collapsed here there is not the prey base to support the cat population there used to be. In the past I would leave the set in and have caught as many as 3 cats year in and year out at a location. Not possible now IMO. Just not as many cats in a given area. Now if I can do it and still find a place to trap I would prefer to not set the same spots every year.. Give them a year or two to recuperate. Like I said it depends on your population though and I judge that partly on sign and a lot of guess work based on prey population.
No one answer as there are a lot of factors and you are always guessing, prey population, competition, refuge areas and age of the habitat. That last maybe not so much some places but here it can mature pretty quickly and be too old for a good prey population.
If you have access to most of the land cats are easy to over trap so you have to be careful. One year in OR I took 22 cats in two weeks off a 20 mile loop and they never recovered. Learned my lesson about overdoing it.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:20 PM »

This practice depends a lot on the numbers of cats in your area. In the past there were more cats here. Since the mountain beaver population collapsed here there is not the prey base to support the cat population there used to be. In the past I would leave the set in and have caught as many as 3 cats year in and year out at a location. Not possible now IMO. Just not as many cats in a given area. Now if I can do it and still find a place to trap I would prefer to not set the same spots every year.. Give them a year or two to recuperate. Like I said it depends on your population though and I judge that partly on sign and a lot of guess work based on prey population.
No one answer as there are a lot of factors and you are always guessing, prey population, competition, refuge areas and age of the habitat. That last maybe not so much some places but here it can mature pretty quickly and be too old for a good prey population.
If you have access to most of the land cats are easy to over trap so you have to be careful. One year in OR I took 22 cats in two weeks off a 20 mile loop and they never recovered. Learned my lesson about overdoing it.
Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 07:00:18 AM »

Very much agree Bruce. We usually give 1-2 yrs off in an area. Currently we are trapping a 150 mile look with 18 sets so in the reality of it only scratching the surface.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
KF, Go up 2 miles on the Plantation Rd on Boulder Pass. I used to see all kinds of Bobcat tracks in there.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »
KF, Go up 2 miles on the Plantation Rd on Boulder Pass. I used to see all kinds of Bobcat tracks in there.

TON of cat all the way to the top on that rd!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »
I think I'll avoid that whole area now that it's broadcast to everyone  :chuckle:

(not that I need too, it's all burned up now)

Offline Bigjon

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 11:39:56 AM »
What are of Washington is this in where are the cat sings are at

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
What are of Washington is this in where are the cat sings are at

Every pull out from Colville to Tonasket, North to Canada and East to Idaho. South back down to Newport.

Offline Bigjon

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
Very nice wish I could set some sets up there if I new the country better.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal