collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming antelope questions  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Wyoming antelope questions
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
I'm trying to learn the Wyoming system. There is a category which states, "within 1/2 mile of irrigated land". The draw odds seem much better on these but I'm wondering is this considered to be a private land hunt? Seems like you could hunt the public side within a half mile. The success rates seem a little lower, but still really good.
My second question is I'm trying to understand if I draw an area for "any antelope" and lets assume my goal is to get a buck. How do you also get these extra tags for does everyone talks about?
My 3rd question is if I put in for a unit I know I have no chance of getting like 53 or 57 with only a couple points, but I put some places I have a reasonable chance of drawing for my 2nd and 3rd choice and let's say I get my 3rd choice, am I understanding correctly that I'll keep my points?
Last question- I only started buying points last year and while looking at the draw odds, the special draw often has a better chance of drawing with less points. Can I buy a point for each or just one category at a time?
Thanks, Eric

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Wyoming antelope questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
Yeah, the irrigated provision largely limits it to private or immediately adjacent.  Some of it can be good, others not so good, it depends on the unit, how much irrigated land is there and what is next to it.

You can only get one "type" of point for antelope, not like WA where you can get several different categories for big game.

Doe tags have a different number after the unit, you should find a key in the regs, -1, -2, -6, etc.  Some of the numbers are for buck and some for doe and the numbers allow them to have different regs for the tags - there can be different rules and dates for two different buck tags for the same unit.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »
On question 3 yes you would still have our points.  You only lose points on first choice draws.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
Yeah, the irrigated provision largely limits it to private or immediately adjacent.  Some of it can be good, others not so good, it depends on the unit, how much irrigated land is there and what is next to it.

You can only get one "type" of point for antelope, not like WA where you can get several different categories for big game.

Doe tags have a different number after the unit, you should find a key in the regs, -1, -2, -6, etc.  Some of the numbers are for buck and some for doe and the numbers allow them to have different regs for the tags - there can be different rules and dates for two different buck tags for the same unit.
Thanks that helps. I am still having trouble understanding the doe part though. So I put in and get my any antelope. That allows me to kill one. How do guys get extra tags to be able to also kill a couple of does?

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:07:13 PM »
On question 3 yes you would still have our points.  You only lose points on first choice draws.
Thanks I thought so but it seems like a pretty good way to get a chance to hunt more often. It would sure be a kick to hunt someplace like South Central Wyoming but some of them take 10 or 11 points to have 100% draw odds.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
Remember that 1st choices are filled first. If you apply for a second choice without enough tags to fill the first choice applicants, you can't draw.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
Remember that 1st choices are filled first. If you apply for a second choice without enough tags to fill the first choice applicants, you can't draw.
Thanks. I can't hunt it this year so I'll go into the draw in a couple years with 3 points. Makes anywhere in Western Wyoming tough for any antelope. Looks like it might be a good idea to make my 3rd choice a doe tag then I'd at least get a chance to go enjoy the country until I have enough points for some of the nicer units. Looks like last year it took 5-7 points at least in the regular draw for 100% odds. I'm not really wanting to pay the private fees.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »
Thanks that helps. I am still having trouble understanding the doe part though. So I put in and get my any antelope. That allows me to kill one. How do guys get extra tags to be able to also kill a couple of does?

Does are just a separate draw.  You can apply for doe tags without applying for a buck tag or using your points.  You can also pick up doe tags in the leftover draw.  If you are applying for both the buck and doe draw, you have the option of pulling your doe application if you don't also draw a buck tag. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
There are two draws. Tags remaining after the second draw are considered "leftovers" and go on sale in July on a first-come, first served basis.

Generally speaking, one can have up to four doe/fawn licenses and up to two "any antelope licenses" in a given year.

Limited Quota
All Wyoming antelope hunt areas are managed under a limited quota framework, meaning there are a set number of licenses valid for each specific hunt area. All hunt areas have full-price "any" antelope licenses (Type 0, 1, 2 or 9). Most hunt areas also provide reduced-price limited quota "doe/fawn" licenses (Type 6, 7 or 8), which can be obtained separately or in addition to a full-price license.

After the license draw has been held, hunters can purchase a second "any antelope" license in specific hunt areas, if still available. "Any antelope" licenses still available after the draw are typically found in areas that are predominately private land, so hunters are encouraged to line up access before buying the license. Hunters may purchase up to four doe/fawn antelope licenses, only two of which can be obtained through the draw.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
Thanks guys. I was getting a little lost there. Appreciate the help

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal