collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Story  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Good Story
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

:tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Good Story
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
I always load my dummy round (bullet / primer / case without powder).  After loading all my live rounds I weigh the dummy round, zero the scale and then weigh all the live rounds.  This will confirm all of them have powder and are not double charged.  It only adds another few minutes to my reloading and is a good way to make sure this never happens. 

Great story with a happy ending.....could have been bad. 

Offline Watimberghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:52 PM »
Crazy. I'm so anal when it comes to reloading. But there's always human error. This story seems like some Divine intervention.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
Thanks for posting cool story but brings up a painful memory from about 4 years ago. One of my hunting buddies had been lion hunting with me for a few years he doesn’t have dogs but just enjoyed going but wanted to take a lion also. He had quite a bit of time off that winter and I decided we would work hard to get him a nice cat. We started the season on his first day teeing a decent Tom but I felt we could do better so he elected to pass that cat was followed by 3 more trees and all those cats were smaller than the first one we let go. Finally we cut THE track one look and I told him this was the one we had waited for. What followed was an epic race where the dogs did great but it took us about 5 hours to get to them. Hiking down to the tree it was really steep and I looked straight across to see the biggest lion I think I have ever seen one look at me and the lion flew out of the tree and the race was back on. After more of this nonsense I told my friend we would have to sneak in on the tree and then run under it as fast as we could and hopefully push the cat up the tree and keep him from jumping. My buddies hamstring cramped up so I snuck in and was successful in keeping the cat up the tree. Whew finally I leash up the dogs and my buddy gets set for a good shot. Click! What the? He checks and same thing no powder but enough from the primer I guess to lodge the bullet in the barrel. After trying to push it out with sticks etc which obviously didn’t work. Ok plan b I was carrying my pistol but now the cat is way up in the tree. 4 shots and nothing 5 th shot hit him and he falls and is hanging on a branch right in front of us. I am yelling shoot cat drops a runs off . My dog slips his collar and I tackle him not knowing what we would be putting the dogs back on. Turning dogs on an injured lion is a good way to get them killed. So we regroup and it appears cat must have not been hit well from the tracks and small amount of blood. It is now getting dark and the odds of catching that cat again in the light and my buddy actually making a good shot with 1 bullet left in the pistol is not good. We were a long ways from our wheels and we had to make the decision to pul out and come back and try and get him another day.i had to wait a day before getting back up there because of work that could not be changed we never got that cat and I am pretty sure I have not even cut his track again. I felt bad for my two dogs who hunted so well that day which turned into a dawn to dusk hunt and they deserved to have that cat shot to them. Both those dogs have died since then even though they still weren’t really old. I always carry my own lever action rifle now. Sorry for the long story I am sick and a little bored sitting home.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]