collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where would you buy?  (Read 4810 times)

Offline rsrubalcaba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Where would you buy?
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
I'm sure this question has been asked before but...

Starting the process of looking at land to buy.  Want to be able to hunt everything (deer, elk, bear, cougar, turkeys, etc...)

Thinking around 20 acres, preferably backing up to state, federal or timber land.

So what area of Washington or Idaho would you start looking?  Where would  you get the best bang for you buck?

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Where would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
Have you tried searching the site? There have been several discussions about this. Some of the basics are how far do you want to drive? How much maintenance are you willing to do for up keep? I believe you will find that there is not one area that will constantly have every species walking across every corner of the property. Oh and price, if it has water, power, or they are close.
IAFF #3728

Offline rsrubalcaba

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
Totally understandable about the factors you mention. I'm really in the infancy stages of this. Just looking for Hunter/Sportsman input.

Maybe I worded it wrong. Maybe, "What's your favorite region to hunt in WA or ID and why?" would have been a better start.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
With the water rights issues going on in this state I wouldn’t buy any land even if it had a well drilled on it, or not.  :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Online Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »
I'd not buy and just book guided hunts in other states and Canada.   :twocents:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Blanchard idaho  :chuckle:have 20 acres backing up to state land  has moose deer bear Mt lion bobcat and elk that are on property or on public land behind it easy access on a maintained road a little over a mile from hi way at the base of hoo Doo mountain $64000 power at edge of parcel! I have killed some nice bucks and numerous bears and we have gotten elk perfect! :chuckle: other than that I would buy northeast Washington or something north idaho. From my property I can be in Washington in 10 minutes so it’s close but you get way better seasons and can bait bears and run hounds if you don’t mind out of state prices on your tags. I wouldn’t mind property in eastern Washington for deer I have seen some bruises on that side too. Sorry for the sales pitch lol good luck on your search

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
Blanchard idaho  :chuckle:have 20 acres backing up to state land  has moose deer bear Mt lion bobcat and elk that are on property or on public land behind it easy access on a maintained road a little over a mile from hi way at the base of hoo Doo mountain $64000 power at edge of parcel! I have killed some nice bucks and numerous bears and we have gotten elk perfect! :chuckle: other than that I would buy northeast Washington or something north idaho. From my property I can be in Washington in 10 minutes so it’s close but you get way better seasons and can bait bears and run hounds if you don’t mind out of state prices on your tags. I wouldn’t mind property in eastern Washington for deer I have seen some bruises on that side too. Sorry for the sales pitch lol good luck on your search

I'm in the middle of building a house, but I'd be interested in taking a look at this come spring.  I'm in your area.  Give me a pm in a couple of months.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »

I'm in the middle of building a house, but I'd be interested in taking a look at this come spring.  I'm in your area.  Give me a pm in a couple of months.

:tup:will

Offline rsrubalcaba

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
Awesome info. Love terrain in that area.

Offline freezerfull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:48:57 PM »
Idahoguy,
Do you have this property listed anywhere?
Thanks

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
Yes it’s under Clearwater properties of Idaho under Rogstsad recreation for anyone familiar with the area it’s at the very end of rogstad road. Last peice of land before you hit state property

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:32:18 PM »
The only place I would by property in this state is NE Corner. Something near Coleville or Chewellah. Gods country.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 12:17:54 AM »
Best bang for your buck depends on a lot of variables.  To me, any land purchase absolutely must have a reasonable expectation for capital appreciation.  Also, its gotta be close enough that you can use it without too much travel, have enough game to make it desirable (and regulations you can live with), and cheap enough that you can afford it.

Patience is required because it is not very often that a property comes available that meets all your criteria, at least on the west side.  Daily, or at least weekly checks for new listings keep you in the game and prevent you from missing a gem.  Once you think you've located a good prospect, you better move fast because many other people play the same waiting game, and the good ones get snapped up quick. Get out there ASAP, walk the property, and ask the questions you need answered.   It can be hard to pull the trigger, but in my mind, it is better to make an offer with either (reasonable) contingencies or a feasibility study waiting period included in the offer.  That locks you in ahead of other potential buyers and gives you an out if you suddenly find yourself with buyer's remorse.

Just this week, I locked in a contract for 25 acres of twenty-five year old timberland on the Kitsap Peninsula in an area I'd been watching/waiting for nearly two years to find just the right piece.   Even though the drive is quite a bit more than I'd like, the price was so low, I just couldn't pass it up, .   I'm pretty stoked to see if the deer population in that area is as robust (and the genetics are as good) as reported. 

Good luck in your hunt.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline swordtine

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:33 AM »
@fishnfur ,

Just curious, what do you consider 'low' for westside recreational prop/timber in $ per acre?

Thanks!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
@fishnfur ,

Just curious, what do you consider 'low' for westside recreational prop/timber in $ per acre?

Thanks!
Timber prices are pretty good, so timber value is going to men a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull