collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: Pig Feeder... Ideas?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Pig Feeder... Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »
I made my own feeder for hunting feral hogs in Virginia.  I took a 6 inch PVC pipe, drilled holes all along the sides are various intervals.  Capped the one end and drilled a hole in the capped end.  Ran a piece of 1/8" cable through and attached that to a anchor stake.  Drove that into the ground.  Put a screw on lid on the other end and then filled with corn.  My PVC pipe was 10 feet long.  They roll the pipe around and little bits of corn fall out as they root and roll it around.  Takes them much longer to clean up the corn.  One thing I did learn about the hogs, at least in Virginia, they were almost impossible to pattern.  Too many other food sources there.  They were not predictable at all.  Oh and put a couple of rocks inside the PVC pipe.  They hear them rolling around and think there is still corn in there even when it's empty.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:16:19 AM by Machias »
Fred Moyer

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• Best Biggie Blogger
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • DAN-O CAN'T TAKE BIGGIE PICS
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
I made my own feeder for hunting feral hogs in Virginia.  I took a 6 inch PVC pipe, drilled holes all along the sides are various intervals.  Capped the one end and drilled a hole in the capped end.  Ran a piece of 1/8" cable through and attached that to a anchor stake.  Drove that into the ground.  Put a screw on lid on the other end and then filled with corn.  My PVC pipe was 10 feet long.  They roll the pipe around and little bits of corn fall out as they root and roll it around.  Takes them much longer to clean up the corn.  One thing I did learn about the hogs, at least in Virginia, they were almost impossible to pattern.  Too many other food sources there.  They were not predictable at all.  Oh and put a couple of rocks inside the PVC pipe.  They hear them rolling around and think there is still corn in there even when it's empty.

Love the rock idea.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc On!

Offline Vo2max

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Location: Mentally: in the woods. Physically: dreaming of the woods
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

This idea is GENIUS! Thank you for sharing. I was going to buy a feeder but this way I'm saving money and making a much more effective draw for the pigs. Thanks again!

* Recent Topics

Wtb wall tent by TikkaT3-270Shortmag
[Today at 11:10:02 PM]

Good luck in the raffle guys/gals! by Rainier10
[Today at 11:08:36 PM]

WDFW's Plan to Cover 30 Million Dollar Deficit by jmscon
[Today at 11:05:16 PM]

Trail cameras making prey vulnerable? by Jake Dogfish
[Today at 11:05:06 PM]

WTS Troy bilt cs499 10hp chipper $300 OBO by JWEBB
[Today at 10:59:05 PM]

Slick Trick Wicked Viper Trick Magnum by tecwoody