collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: $200 per day for turkey hunt?  (Read 13193 times)

Offline NWTFhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: $200 per day for turkey hunt?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Nice story Fred !!

I had a Tom down in the bottom of a canyon one morning that I stubbled upon searching for a gobble while down in Cali last year.  He cut me off with a double on my first strike, so I knew he was horny.  I didnt call for about 3 minutes and he was screaming at me to locate me.  I gave him a soft purr and a couple of soft yelps and he was comming out of his feathers.  I estimated him to be about 400 yards down the canyon and I wasnt going after him !  I called once more and he blasted back, at which time I shut up completely.  He sounded off 2 more times wanting me down there but I wasnt budging.  About 5 minutes later he blasted out a gobble from the bottom and I gave him a soft yelp and he cut me off again.  I waited about 5 more minutes and gave him a cutt and yelp followed by a gobble and that guy came completely undone!  He was gobbling non stop up that hill looking to kick the crap out of that Jake that just sounded off with his girl.  It didnt take him long to come out of the bottom and about 20 yards out and still below the crest of the hill he sounded off looking for her.  I gave him one last soft yelp and one scratch and I could hear him running in the leaves.  With my gun up and waiting and waiting and waiting wondering why he wasnt in my sights, I got that feeling of him burning that eye into my head too.  Out of the corner of my eye I see him, and he strutted out.  At that time I swing to my right, and he catches me and gobbled at me!!!!! That was his last gobble as I cut him off in mid gobble.  Thats one of the ones that will last forever !!

Love turkey season !

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
Is it just me or did everyone's heart start racing while reading that tale...... :IBCOOL:
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »
I think my heart stopped last year when we were setup and 5 tom's were fighting it out below us!!  :yike:

Guided hunts can be well worth the price if you are in a new area, and don't have anyone knowable to go with.  I agree that a person has to do their homework and check references.  Last year I went on a semi-guided hunt on private land in Kansas and it was will worth the cost.  I was able to harvest a three year old Eastern the first afternoon of day one.  Washington and Oregon both have some great guided hunting if you don't have some honey holes already dialed in.
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline elkkiller

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 09:06:12 AM »
I would ask for last year's client's phone #'s and talk to them and I would also offer him less money and see what he would say, maybe he would cut you a deal considering economic condition's. It Be worth a try. :dunno:

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
The majority of the Turkey hunts I have seen are $500/hunt. So I'd think $200 is fair. Most waterfowl hunts I have seen are a MINIMUM of $150+, but usually $350+ (from what I have seen).

You need to talk to the guide to find out what his guide SERVICE includes. a day without a turkey can still be worth $200 if the guide is a fun guy to hang out with, gets you into a new area to hunt, has some turkey related stuff to talk about, and a bottomless thermos of coffee.

A guide that puts you into birds but sucks on the service side will still feel over priced at $135... ask me how I know:

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
I wouldn't wast my money on a guide. There's tons of turkeys out there. Rent video's, learn to call and do your home work. Knock on farmers doors and ask to hunt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]