Advertisement

Author Topic: Tubari  (Read 5851 times)

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Tubari
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
Moyles ruined some civets I sent them plus they were pretty rough on some other small furs I sent a couple years ago. That was the reason I tried Tubari. Moyles did a good job on small stuff in the past for me but with their increase in business and I guess new personnel it seemed things went down hill. If I send in larger animals it will probably be Moyles but still searching for someone to do small stuff better.

I did loose a tail on a marten their last shippment but figured it was my skin job and they didnt do a good job on an ermine. I figure out of the 100 furs I've had done with them thats pretty good. I NEVER "rush" the order.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
Sounds like Tubari needs to work on their "Tanning Solution", maybe a bit too strong on their Alkalies.
(Bruce, they might look better if you were to have them Sheared.)
Doug

Beaver hats were fashioned from felt made from the thick underfur. Hats made of beaver fur were more water resistant than ones made of other materials, because the fur was adapted to being wet and dried repeatedly. Unfortunately, the process required the use of mercury, which is a toxic substance that affects the nervous system. Hatmakers often developed mental problems, which led to use of the phrase “mad as a hatter.”

"Acids have relatively little action on the hair, when applied in dilute solutions. The scales of the cuticle or epithelium are somewhat opened, the fibre becoming slightly roughened thereby. Even at high temperatures, the hair is quite resistant to the action of dilute acids. Concentrated acids destroy the hair with the liberation or formation of ammonia, hydrogen sulphide, and various amino acids. When treated with dilute acids, the hair, especially if it is of a very woolly nature, retains considerable quantities of acid, this phenomenon being probably due to the fixation of the acid by the basic groups in the hair. Nitric acid produces a yellow coloration when applied in dilute solution for a short time. Sulphurous acid, the acid formed by the burning of sulphur, has a bleaching action on the hair.

Alkalies attack the hair, even in dilute solutions, and by longer action complete decomposition sets in, with formation of ammonia and amino-acids. Ammonium carbonate, soap, and borax are practically harmless in their effect on the hair. Sodium and potassium carbonates roughen the hair on prolonged action, even in dilute solutions. Calcium hydroxide on continued action removes sulphur from the hair, causing it to become brittle."........Principles and Practice of Fur Dressing and Fur Dyeing, by William E. Austin (Consulting Chemist to the Fur Industry) 1923
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:28:39 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bigjon

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
Bruce I thought about buying a tanning machine to do my own stuff, is it pretty easy to learn or how does all that work?

Offline wags

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
Bruce I thought about buying a tanning machine to do my own stuff, is it pretty easy to learn or how does all that work?

I wish it were as easy as just buying a "tanning machine", I've never heard of such a device, and if someone is trying to sell you one I also have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.
Seriously though, tanning or more properly "fur dressing" is as much of an art as it is a science, just following a set of instruction will not get you the product you want.  I've done a bit of it, I have a fleshing machine for thinning the skins etc., and it's still cheaper and you get a better quality in the long run if you send your skins off to a commercial tannery.

Offline Kit Carson

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
 :chuckle: You mean simply using that little orange bottle (without even fleshing) won't actually do a nice, soft and supple tan on a whole buffalo hide...?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 07:51:31 PM »
I guess I should address this seeing as I was asked a question.
Like Wags I have never heard of a tanning machine. I do know professional fur dressers use a lot of machines such as drums, tumblers, thinning machines etc. The machines are just tools but not a replacement for knowledge, experience and just plain work.

Friend of mine does a really nice home tanning job but even at that not as nice as a commercial tannery. He put an old dryer into service as a tumbler to save some labor. Even at that it is a labor of love and he sometimes ships to a tannery.
I'm not sure how you could compete with someone like Moyles if you value your time for anything.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand