collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu  (Read 14309 times)

Offline ffbowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:17:20 AM »
I am looking for options on early season elk tops and bottoms. Currently I have a pair of attack pants that I have used for two seasons. Unfourtanely I tore a hole in them this season which, the tore into the seam. I am in the market for a new pair of pants and possibly an upper piece.

As far as pants goes I was happy with my attacks other than I seemed to sweat more early season. I am looking at getting either another pair of attacks or switching to first lite obsidian or Sitka ascents. I would love to hear some reviews.

As far as the upper I am happy with my peloton 240 for cool mornings and running a merino base by kuiu. But I’ve also considered trying out the first lite sawtooth hybrid jacket and the Sitka core hoody.

Like I said I tend to run hot and sweat. I also am lucky in that I get a substantial discount on all these brands making the price fairly comparable, the only down side is no returns. Let the debate begin! The only worse question I could have asked is what caliber I should be shooting!

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
Re: First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
I have the kuiu alpine and absolutely hate the knee pads! If the sun is out at all the knee pads heat up really really bad and it is very uncomfortable on the knees! I switched to SKRE gear  early season pants and I'll never use anything else. I get hot very easy ant these pants help me tremendously with that and they are also very durable.  I use them every day for bear hunting in August and September and have hundreds of miles on them and they are still in great shape!

Also if you have to return anything to SKRE they will pay the s&h even if you order the wrong size. Killer customer service and priced better than their competition.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
I have not used the obsideon pant. But the first lite corrugate pants fit the description of what your looking for. I have put 2 years and probably 5 weeks of hunting as well as wear them when I hike and they have no holes.

I like that they are windproof, and lightweight. I would be scared about the durability of a wool pant with my hunting/falling/crashing through brush style.

I'll be getting a second pair in a solid color this year.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
I switched from primarily all Cabelas line stuff to KUIU last year.  Was spendy but worth it.  I love the attack pants bought 3 pair to rotate wear. 

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »
there is no more purpose driven, well thought out clothing for hunting on the market than sitka gear IMO. comfortable, lightweight, and best camo on the market.

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
there is no more purpose driven, well thought out clothing for hunting on the market than sitka gear IMO. comfortable, lightweight, and best camo on the market.
I do like there subalpine pattern

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
I branched out from sitka last year and bought the First Lite Obsidians. Terrible choice. When I talked to customer service they were unhelpful and rather snarky. I will never purchase any First Lite products again. I'm buying a Sitka Stormfront jacket and Mountain pants this year and won't buy hunting clothes from any other brand.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
I do like there subalpine pattern

I do own some subalpine and a EVII system for treestand, but most of what I wear is waterfowl marsh pattern. It tricks your eyes bigtime even in the woods/sage. I have heard that contractors fighting overseas are even using the marsh pattern to hide in the desert...I have noticed when duck hunting that I do not have to hide as well when wearing the camo...

As to firstlite, I do have some 100% merino underwear that is good stuff, but I think there are cheaper options of better quality in the merino world.

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »
I have both KUIU, first lite and a little bit of Sitka and prefer KUIU. If the attack pants were too warm for you then try the KUIU tiburon. Those are my favorite hot weather pants.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
I have mostly Sitka and some Kuiu ... dont know a thing about First Light. It all seems to be good stuff these days, SKRE  looks interesting to me and Id like to see it in person.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline spoonman

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
I have mostly Sitka and some Kuiu ... dont know a thing about First Light. It all seems to be good stuff these days, SKRE  looks interesting to me and Id like to see it in person.

They will be at the Sportsman show. Great hunting gear IMO.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
I haven't tried kuiu or sitka but have been running first lite for a while now. For early season pant I would recommend the corrugate guide pants and an aerowool top. The pants are extremely comfortable and breathe well. The aerowool seems to dry quicker than conventional merino but still has the anti microbial qualities that merino wool is known for.

Offline Milkman

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
Huge Sitka fan here. Worth the extra $. First lite just did come out with their new PNW specific line (mostly rain gear) looks great. All 3 of your choices are top notch. Tough decision for sure. Keep us posted with a review.  :tup:

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
I really like Sitka, the sizing just doesn’t work for me. I’ve been using Kuiu for a couple years now and don’t have any complaints. Only minor issue is the pants with knee pads, are more like shin pads because I’m so short.  :chuckle:

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »
I really like Sitka, the sizing just doesn’t work for me. I’ve been using Kuiu for a couple years now and don’t have any complaints. Only minor issue is the pants with knee pads, are more like shin pads because I’m so short.  :chuckle:
I believe they are meant to be like that so when you kneel down the knee pad doesn’t ride up. I have a pair of core4element pants like that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]