collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu  (Read 14307 times)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
I really like Sitka, the sizing just doesn’t work for me. I’ve been using Kuiu for a couple years now and don’t have any complaints. Only minor issue is the pants with knee pads, are more like shin pads because I’m so short.  :chuckle:
I believe they are meant to be like that so when you kneel down the knee pad doesn’t ride up. I have a pair of core4element pants like that.

One thing I like about Sitka is the knee pads are removable, some may like the knee pads but I take them out.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
Sitka knee pads are thick pads, Kuiu are just a waterproof cover.  Both good depends what you are looking for. 

Kuiu rain gear can't be beat for combination breathability / durability.

Don't like any of the shell - northface type - gear.  Not that warm, doesn't breathe enough for me.  Guide jacket etc.

Like Kuiu Attack and Chinook.   Not Guide type.   

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
Try the kuiu tiburon pants, ultra light and cool
Go hawks

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
Buy what fits.
There are so many Camo fanboys that will swear their choice is the only one you should consider.
I’m 5’8” with a 35” waist, 44” chest. Kuiu doesnt want me as a customer except for their packs.
First Lite Corrugated pants in Med fit me perfectly, are cool in early season and dry quickly. Their merino fits me in medium and I like it but doubt I’d buy it again for durability reasons.
My partners think my Fusion pattern works pretty well in Eastern Washington.
I’d buy Fusion or Cipher.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »
Kuiu Tiburon is awesome in the hot weather. I’d only use these if you’re hunting consistently hot temps.

I wear the alpines from September thru October. Probably my most frequently worn pants. I really like the knee pads during archery season. They’re lighter weight than the attacks, and heavier than the Tiburon. Shouldn’t get too hot in these. Nice vents in the side also.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 08:43:42 AM »
No recommendation on the big 3 but if your looking early/ mid season pants don't overlook brands like prAna Zions. I wore mine all last season, all weather, hard use. Needless to say I'm extremely impressed with the durability. Solid colors only but I've never been a camo pant guy. There are more solid colors in nature than digital camo anyway.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
I am tall. 36” inseam. I wear Sitka pants because they come in tall sizes. Ascent pants are probably something you should look at if you’re considering Sitka for bottoms. You really have to try them on. It seems like the fit is a little different with all of them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »
No recommendation on the big 3 but if your looking early/ mid season pants don't overlook brands like prAna Zions. I wore mine all last season, all weather, hard use. Needless to say I'm extremely impressed with the durability. Solid colors only but I've never been a camo pant guy. There are more solid colors in nature than digital camo anyway.

Was just going to say the same thing! Prana Zion are a great pant for half the cost if you are okay with a solid color option. I've worn mine for a week straight and been comfortable everyday in them through varying weather conditions.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
I love my sitka gear.  Only kuiu I own is their pack system and love it.  Don't see myself going away from sitka for quite some some.  The acsent pant would work well for sept bow hunting. 

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
Fit is the biggie. And the only way to know is to try them on. Obviously you have used kuiu so thats really the toughest, sitka is easy to get hands on and firstlite  is in between. 

As far as my experience goes. I have tried to like kuiu, but i cant. Materials and fit and finish are awesome. And i have several friends that all love it. I will say I hear alot about its "athletic" fit, but i would advise anyone in the market to try it regardless of shape. Its more about wear you carry the weight rather than being a specimen. 

First lite is great materials are good and from hunting brands they have the best merino hands down IMO. , but as far as sizing goes inconsistent is the first word that pops to my mind. I certainly hope they have ironed it out as they cut out retailers and product availability going to direct consumer model.

That leaves Sitka. What can I say.... you get what you pay for. Consistent sizing, great materials and finish. Excellent availability for sizing,  good customer service. Unless one of the other brands just blows them away sizing wise ( it does happen) there is really no cons.

From your description I think the ascent series would work great. They are specialized tho, so dont expect it to cover the spectrum of weather and temps from late august to december. But for early season elk, they worked very well for me.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
I don’t think you can go wrong with either kuiu, firstlite or Sitka.  It’s all just personal choice, I’ve been let down with Sitka rain gear so I won’t buy again, my Yukon kuiu gear is great. If you want to throw another brand in the mix, look at krptec gear, that stuff seems really nice. I personally love all my kuiu gear!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
I run kuiu exclusive. Never have went with sika or first lite. I'm running the Teton stretch woven pants for early season and absolutly love them...they stay cool and dry extremely fast and are the most comfortable pants I've worn.
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline olsy

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 05:06:17 PM »

Was just going to say the same thing! Prana Zion are a great pant for half the cost if you are okay with a solid color option. I've worn mine for a week straight and been comfortable everyday in them through varying weather conditions.

I just got my first pair of Prana Zion's this week and I am extremely impressed.  A pant that I can wear for early season hunting and also wear as an every day pant.

I bought a pair of First Lite Obsidian pants last fall and they tore the first day of the hunt. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
Wish they made a 36" inseam pant.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »

I just got my first pair of Prana Zion's this week and I am extremely impressed.  A pant that I can wear for early season hunting and also wear as an every day pant.

I bought a pair of First Lite Obsidian pants last fall and they tore the first day of the hunt.

This is what happened to me as well. Had some Sitka gear now for a few years and it looks brand new.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]