collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu  (Read 14305 times)

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
Re: First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
Idk how the FL Obsidian pants are but I really dont like wearing the kanabs above 60 if Im doing any amount of walking.  Had some issues with the stitching on the Corrugates.  Sent them back mid September.  Finally getting a new pair sent ... after multiple emails with no response.  I wouldnt say Ive had any real bad experience with their CS, but there is definitely is room for improvement. Id probably feel a little different if I needed them back for a hunt.  Also had many other issues with quality.  I had to send back quite a few pieces to be replaced including their $400 SEAK jacket that leaked fresh out of the package.  Have experience and heard of stitching issues as well.  Seem to have a lot of single stitches that fail rather quickly.  Sizing with them does seem very inconsistent, but I think from ATA there was a video saying they are fixing it so you should be 1 size through the line.  If I didnt get steal on all my FL id probably be a little more pissed about the issues Ive had with them.  I really like their merino, but would probably be looking elsewhere for outer layers.

Ive used the Prana Zions a bit and I wouldnt say durability has been real great for me.  Just a tiny bit of brush busting and mainly still hunting and Ive gotten holes in the knees.  But they are incredibly comfortable, decently quiet, cooler than any FL option, lot of color options and relatively cheap compared to hunting specific pants.

Offline walleye1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 08:35:09 PM »
Sitka and kuiu are about the same I like thwm both.only bad thing about kuiu is getting the right fit since you cant just go try them on at the local stores.seem to run pretty small for me.Now to calliber 7mm

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »
I’ve only used Sitka briefly and Kuiu since they came out and were made in BC. So I guess I’m biased, but I like the Kuiu. If the attack pants are a little warm early the Tiburons breath better. It’s like ripstop nylon but at the intersections of the little squares there are tiny holes. I wear the lightweight long sleeve wool tops, 165 or something like that. I’m not even sure they make the ones I wear anymore, it’s about time for a new one though. Mines pilling up pretty good where the pack goes, but I got my moneys worth out of them.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »
Having used Sitka, Asat, Kuiu, first lite I would rate durability Sitka above the rest. Price I would put Kuiu above the rest. Camo pattern I would put First Lite above the rest.

There is no way as an advocate for public land, wildlife and wild spaces that I would spend another dime one a brand with Jason Hairston name on it. Great clothing, cool products, total self interest.

Sitka and First Lite are inevested in the future of wildlife and public land and so that’s where I’ll spend my money. They also make some pretty awesome clothing.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »
While I've had okay luck with Kuiu and First Lite, I can't see myself spending any more on either brand.

First Lites durability is questionable, with droves of people having issues with their pants and more. I haven't personally had issues with their tops, but have seen people who have. They're also moving to the 'Kuiu' system where they're the sole distributor... in theory it should save us money, doubt that'll actually happen in the end.

Kuiu, well I don't want to fund Jasons hunts any longer. One common issue between Kuiu and First Lite is the fabric choice in their waterproof/breathable stuff. While none of the stuff is perfect, Sitka uses actual gore tex vs off-brand crap from the other brands. While I'm sure it works well, when it doesn't who you gonna call? The guys at Toray? Think they're going to warranty your stuff? Good luck.

I do think the need for camo is way overblown... yes for archery/muzzy/turkey I can see why it is needed(and use it personally), but for rifle hunting... not so much.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
While I've had okay luck with Kuiu and First Lite, I can't see myself spending any more on either brand.

First Lites durability is questionable, with droves of people having issues with their pants and more. I haven't personally had issues with their tops, but have seen people who have. They're also moving to the 'Kuiu' system where they're the sole distributor... in theory it should save us money, doubt that'll actually happen in the end.

Kuiu, well I don't want to fund Jasons hunts any longer. One common issue between Kuiu and First Lite is the fabric choice in their waterproof/breathable stuff. While none of the stuff is perfect, Sitka uses actual gore tex vs off-brand crap from the other brands. While I'm sure it works well, when it doesn't who you gonna call? The guys at Toray? Think they're going to warranty your stuff? Good luck.

I do think the need for camo is way overblown... yes for archery/muzzy/turkey I can see why it is needed(and use it personally), but for rifle hunting... not so much.

Sitka is owned by W.L. Gore so that only makes sense they use their own waterproof product in the clothing. Personally I've been plenty wet in many products using goretex over the years so I guess it's a personal preference thing when it comes to high end hunting gear. Supporting a global corporation and claiming they are looking out for the average hunters best interest is your guys right but I don't believe it for a second. It's just about the money and if they could pedal the same ol stuff year after year in as many box stores and retailers as possible, they would. Like Jason Hairston or not , we can all thank him and the fact he didn't quit when he got screwed over with Sitka, for the evolution and product development of high end hunting gear the past 10 years. That has pushed many different companies in many different product lines to push R&D for the best products possible to keep up with his lead.

I only own a few pieces of Kuiu and a few pieces of First Lite with some being great and some being just ok for what it cost. I personally will never own a piece of Sitka stuff that will always be at the very top in price point just to pay board members & stock holders not because it's the best money can buy. :twocents:

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »
I ended up getting a couple pairs of Prana Zion’s, no joke they are the most comfortable pant I have every worn. I plan on using these exclusively, not to mention the price tag!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »
Comparing wool clothing to synthetics is like comparing apples to broccoli.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »

I personally see a need for camo gaiters, pants, jacket, face paint and a giant billboard backed with a glaring white back hat so you know what company is the shiz.

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:48 AM »
I personally have all three, and would choose them in this order for comfort, and durability. Kuiu, sitka, first lite. cost does not play into this.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »
No recommendation on the big 3 but if your looking early/ mid season pants don't overlook brands like prAna Zions. I wore mine all last season, all weather, hard use. Needless to say I'm extremely impressed with the durability. Solid colors only but I've never been a camo pant guy. There are more solid colors in nature than digital camo anyway.

Was just going to say the same thing! Prana Zion are a great pant for half the cost if you are okay with a solid color option. I've worn mine for a week straight and been comfortable everyday in them through varying weather conditions.

I like the prana zion stretch better than my high end stuff.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]