collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Dodge 2017 3500 BigHorn Opinion?  (Read 6785 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: New Dodge 2017 3500 BigHorn Opinion?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 09:37:45 PM »
2016 Colorado duramax diesel at 6,500 miles.   It will plug up. 

That can’t possibly be normal. There’s got to be more to the story.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
If you don’t “need” a diesel I don’t see the point in buying one. It seems there’s a crap ton of people who don’t actually need a diesel yet own one anyway. They’re ridiculously expensive to buy and they require maintenance, more expensive oil changes, etc.  They’re all hard on front ends too.  I think a lot of people just buy them so they can have a cool guy diesel truck. Don’t think they understand what they’re getting into.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
If you don’t “need” a diesel I don’t see the point in buying one. It seems there’s a crap ton of people who don’t actually need a diesel yet own one anyway. They’re ridiculously expensive to buy and they require maintenance, more expensive oil changes, etc.  They’re all hard on front ends too.  I think a lot of people just buy them so they can have a cool guy diesel truck. Don’t think they understand what they’re getting into.

:yeah:

dealer tried to sell me a diesel colorado, nope.   I already have a cummins at home for any work I got to do, I want a quiet, clean, lightweight, quick to blow warm air gasser

Offline Tjkride

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
If I didnt haul my live stock and round bales so often I would never have a diesel again. Ive yet to own one that was as cheap and easy to keep properly maintained and runnind properly as a good gas job.
Practical accuracy and a packable rifle.
Blued steel and walnut is always better.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 09:50:03 PM »
Solutions to clean them out  :chuckle:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/1606-we-bench-test-diesel-egr-cooler-cleaning-solutions/

Be careful with Power Purple it likes to eat paint, don’t ask me how I know.  :rolleyes:

But it’s a great degreaser.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:23 PM »

Status symbol. People here love to look tough & rugged. Most of the diesel owners I know have never towed anything in their lives, but they move from one diesel rig to the next as soon as they start having troubles from the egr. I for one love my 8.1L big block. To quiet, reliable, pulls anything I want and no egr to mess with.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »

Status symbol. People here love to look tough & rugged. Most of the diesel owners I know have never towed anything in their lives, but they move from one diesel rig to the next as soon as they start having troubles from the egr. I for one love my 8.1L big block. To quiet, reliable, pulls anything I want and no egr to mess with.

I agree with the status symbol theory.

I bought my new in 2004 knowing I was going to need it in the future, thought it was going to be a large toy hauler, bought our place with acreage later, then later bought our tractor of 8000+ lbs, it could be towed with a 1 ton gasser but not as fun.  :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 03:03:06 AM »
Pulling the 15,000lb 5’er with a diesel is enjoyable.  The thing rolls over hills with low rpm’s and isn’t screaming like a gas rig.  Going down the hill, just hit the exhaust brake and enjoy the view.
   However, like Jackelope said, you better be ready for an increase in maintenance costs.  I do mine all in house and it’s still more than owning a gas rig.   The wife has said several times “that truck always needs something done to it”. 

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
Well Ive got a 08 Dodge 2500 that the the BS stuff is pulled off.
its a 4 door with aftermarket Bumper, air bags, super duty hitch, B&W drop down hitch, Sprayed in Bed liner, Tires and rims, 14" dvd player, up graded stereo, Bull Dog tuner, No bs electronics, roll up windows and manual door locks. Truck flat out walks away from the new ones.. 121000 miles and now my wife wants sell it.
Its in mint condition: $21,500.00 All Im saying I think the older ones are more dependable than the new ones... All WPO stuff is off now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:40:00 AM by White Pass Outfitters »
KD

Offline Tjkride

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
The main reason I went new is because of the seats. After getting blown up, if the seat isnt perfect, after 30 minutes or so I cant walk after being in a vehicle. My powerstrokes were plane jane everything with bench seats and I loved them, but now I cant ride in them with out falling out of them later. Im 25 and feel like a broken chevy. (I hate duramax) but I keep working for myself and just have to spend more money for creature comforts I used to hate and think were foolish. If I didnt need a diesel I would have one, the status symbol is too true.  I also went new because kids get a diesel with mommy and daddy's money, mod it out, beat the hell out of it and then sell it when problems appear. I dont want any of that.

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »
New diesels now a days are more intense today than they ever have been. Technology and EPA regs have ruined them. That said just drive that truck. Don’t idle for long periods. That’s how you plug egr coolers and have regen issues. I would be surprised if you went they def in an oil change interval. You will see more def usage when you tow though so just be mindful and don’t let it get too low. There is a cleaner out that has been used effectively to clean egr coolers. You put a bottle in the fuel tank and then fill the fuel filter with the other part of the cleaner and run the crap out of it. I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t seen it work. I’ve changed egr coolers on just about every newer diesel out there except the Cummins. Enjoy your new truck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tjkride

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
Thank you all. I'll just work the fire out of her and see how it goes.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
Ding ding ding!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »
The main reason I went new is because of the seats. After getting blown up, if the seat isnt perfect, after 30 minutes or so I cant walk after being in a vehicle. My powerstrokes were plane jane everything with bench seats and I loved them, but now I cant ride in them with out falling out of them later. Im 25 and feel like a broken chevy. (I hate duramax) but I keep working for myself and just have to spend more money for creature comforts I used to hate and think were foolish. If I didnt need a diesel I would have one, the status symbol is too true.  I also went new because kids get a diesel with mommy and daddy's money, mod it out, beat the hell out of it and then sell it when problems appear. I dont want any of that.

You don't need to justify to anyone on this forum your purchasing a diesel, and no one is specifically addressing you or saying that you didn't need a diesel, just pointing out that a lot of folks buy them and don't work them properly.   I hope you find comfort in your new truck.  I just wanted you to know about the smog crap on your truck so you can modify your driving habits to limit the impact from the EGR.  Idling, city driving, short drives..but if you're hauling livestock and hay it'll clean out good  :tup:

Offline Tjkride

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
I appreciate it KF. When my wife drives it, it will surely see its top speed everytime. I love the woman but her driving requires a blindfold and a cigarette. 8 years of marriage and its hasnt gotten better.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]